Busted Harvard Prof

Drops 'Yo Mama' Joke

on Cop

7/20/2009 4:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0720_gates-1Even the nation's pre-eminent African-American scholar isn't afraid to bust a yo' mama joke -- especially when he's getting busted by cops.

Cambridge police arrested Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. for disorderly conduct last Thursday night. Gates was going into his house when police responded to a call that two black males were breaking in.

According to the police report, 58-year old Gates got into it pretty good with Sgt. Crowley, and that's when ...

"As I began walking through the foyer toward the front door, I could hear Gates again demanding my name. I again told Gates that I would speak with him outside. His reply was "ya, I'll speak with your mama outside."

As you can imagine, the argument got more heated after that and Gates was taken into custody.

Professor -- everyone knows it's "yo' mama." Not "your mama."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

hamilTonyan

ha ha first

Mememememememe

RACIST B@STARDS! HE WAS WALKING INTO *HIS* HOME, AND WAS ARRESTED? WTF? WAS IS WRONG WITH THIS STORY?

Snotsie

It should never have happened - it was his own house.

hamilTonyan

maybe the cop was his son

Uhhuh

Just another black man who thinks they are above the law.
What if it really WAS a robber, I guess the cop should just walk
away and let black criminals do whatever they want since investigating
a potential crime is apparently racist. I love liberals.

Jane Smith

Shouldn't have happened but a good yo' mama joke is always appreciated! :)

Only marry foreign women

i wish i wash a black, as when the cops hassle me, and they have, i can call someone a racist.

i suspect it is more a gender thing as cops always hassle men btu give women a break - even ask for the digits.

cosmos

That's what an idiot cop said, he said. The man was already inside his house, when the cop got there. I suggest TMZ, NOT try to report on serious news stories. I guess some broke ass white ppl can't believe a black man, can be very wealthy and renown, while they patrol th beat. Ahhahahahahahahahahahaa

Whatever

#5 ....you're a moron! The cops were doing their job! YES and there's nothing wrong with that! Whoever called them is the person at fault,,,they live in the neighborhood and you're telling me they didn't know that a black family lived in that home before they called the cops to report criminal activity? A possible robbery by black guys! WHATEVER! Guy was in his own home he could say whatever the hell he wanted! ALL TMZ GOT OUT OF THIS WAS THE YO MAMA COMMENT WHEN THERE'S A BIGGER STORY HERE?

Sidney

The real headline is that he was getting busted going into his home. I wonder how long he's lived there. His neighbors are whack for calling - were they tipped off by him driving up or using his key to open the door? I have to say, I never worry about anything going down at my place because white neighbors watch the neighborhood like the freakin' CIA. Sometimes I wish they would mind their own business, but they do keep an eye out so I guess it's a trade off for living next to people who will look the other way while you're being robbed blind. The trick is, you have to introduce yourself so they know you're cool. After that, it's complimentary surveillance.

Homie1Kanobe

Waste of Time

GotSomethingToSay

Read the whole story over at yahoo news. He was breaking into his own house after his door jammed. A woman reported the incident. Instead of being grateful that the cops responded so quickly to a potential burglary, he got all bent out of shape because he's black and is wearing a huge chip on his shoulder. Black people need to get over it. Hey....I'd be happy if the cops where protecting my neighborhood that well. I'd also be respectful of the authorities and let them sort things out. Just goes to show you, Professors aren't so smart after all.

The Bean

Aaaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!! Classic! Gates said JUST what I would have said. He was going into HIS OWN HOME. While it is wonderful that the police are so concerned, and it is good to know that apparently his home would be difficult to break into unnoticed...I think any one of us, Black, White or In Between would have been annoyed that a "neighbor" didn't recognize that it was the HOMEOWNER entering his OWN HOME. There is never anything wrong with a good "yo mamma" hahahahaha!!!!!!!!! ---But seriously, what's up with this "neighbor" ?

my 3 cents

Maybe i am stupid, but he was going into his house and a cop arrested him for a Yo Momma joke....but he has every right to go to his house. A cop can not go into a house without consent even if there is a criminal in it. They need approval. Cops can not go anywhere they want. If a cop wants to talk to you at your house they may ask to go in your house but they are not to go in without approval from the owner. There is information I am sure missing from this story. I just do not get how he got arrested.

renairs

When you make as much cash, and carry as much prestige as he does, it's not proper to say "yo momma" its "your moma."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments