Jessica Simpson --

Part Indian,

Part Mysterious

8/3/2009 5:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jessica Simpson
When Jessica Simpson looked into our camera this weekend and claimed, "I am Indian" -- she wasn't kidding around.

Jessica's rep tells TMZ the singer is 1/16th Native American "on her mother's side."

So far, Simpson's peeps have not revealed which tribe Jessica is descended from.

Of course, the revelation only came to light after Jessica started receiving criticism from Native American groups after she claimed she wasn't an "Indian giver" -- regarding a gift she bought Tony Romo.

Whitleigh

HEY VOTE FOR ME ON WWW. 1047KISSFM.COM GO TO ARIZONA'S NEXT TOP MODEL, CLICK VOTE LADIES (THEY R ALPHABETICALLY ) AND CLICK ON WHITLEIGH MODEL #300 !!!!

THANKS

First whores!

I love little boys. I love little boys in Cleveland the most. xoxo

streetdude

I saw and Indian Chief with a tear rolling down his cheek, When Tony Romo's pulled away from the boat ramp, with empty beer cans flying out of the boat, and landing on the road leaving the park........

Liquid LQ

Okay... let's do the math. I'm an 1/8. My great grandmother on my mom's side was 100% Cherokee (for real) and she married out of the tribe. That made my grandma 1/2. She had my mom 1/4, who had me 1/8... my kids are 1/16 which does not any tribal relations. I don't believe an 1/8 matters either. My mom, she looks fully blown chubby Cherokee and she loves the fire water.

SJ

Pease Please....I need an issue, I feel so left out...like a fish out of water, like I'm truly not apart of the Issues Of The World because I have none...I mean if someone would just call me a dumbazz or something then I could have an issue too.

Melissa

You know...most of us from that age learned the term "indian giver" just by hearing it. We knew it meant giving something and taking it back. We didn't realize though, that is was derogatory to Native Americans. Although, today we know it is not politically correct, it still pops out every now and then in conversation. She just made a mistake people. I am sure if she could go back and do it over she would.

BTW...I have a Cherokee great great grandmother on my moms side and have a picture of her. Of course I don't have dark skin but don't knock anybody's claims, because they might just be telling the truth.

Miia

Which tribe is she from? THE WANNABE NATION?

Mark Byrn

Here we go again; another wonder white bread claiming to be a Native American and probably a Cherokee at that. 1/16?! -YGTBSM and if it only takes 1/16th, that hoe can claim any race she wants and it's probably true.

Jez

one sixteenth indian? No red-blooded real Indian would agree that Jessica Simpson is Indian. PULEEEZE!!

Jenna

she's not Indian, she'd be part Native American. Indian's come from India! geeze that girls a twit

jrad247

She can have a piece of my totem pole

I bet Jessica could really use my walking stick

Jessica can really drink up my fire water...

She can really inspire my tepee

What ?

Boredsh*tless

She's from the long lost Wannabe Tribe. 1/16th my ass. If true, this isn't enough to be recognized by any tribe. If she cuts herself or gets a nose bleed she'll lose her 1/16th. I agree with you #6 Kel! Every white person I have ever met that claims native heritage, it's ALWAYS Cherokee! Let the Cherokee's have Ms. Simpson! She can be their mascot!

LakersFan

Someone tell this girl to find a job. Maybe she can get one at an Indian casino now that she's revealed her nationality.

Part Cherokee

To Kel, obviously your an idiot. I am part Cherokee and also Blackfoot. So I guess because I claim that, I must be a liar, huh? My grandparent must have lied to me then.....or you're just an expert on indian genetics. What a moron.

jcc

Kel (comment #6) - you are so right! People ALWAYS claim to be Cherokee, and they're mostly likely not. There really aren't that many people with American Indian blood, but there's a whole lot of people who like to claim it, for some reason. I'm not AI, and I wouldn't lie and claim it - it's pretty pathetic to pretend to be something you're not!