John Hughes

Dies

8/6/2009 5:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John Hughes DiesJohn Hughes has died of a heart attack.

Hughes suffered the heart attack while taking a morning walk during a trip to NYC to visit family.

He directed such '80s hit films as "The Breakfast Club," Weird Science," "Sixteen Candles" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

He was 59.

More Today in TMZ History

chris

John Hugh's movies are really great, and this is too sudden. 59 is way too young. RIP, John Hughes, your movies have meant a lot to me.

di88s

RIP John Hughes. I love all your movies; we watch Planes, Trains & Automobiles every year on our trip to the lake in Maine.
My deepest sympathy to your family and friends.

Jessica Jardine

RIP.. GREAT MOVIES

notabunny

How sad! Too soon, we'll miss you :-( rest in peace!

Will Vent

The king of 80's heartbreak dies of a broken heart.

DaveinNorthbrook

Very sad news, indeed. I wish he would've made more films. He was, in my opinion, the most BRILLIANT director of the 1980's, bar none. No one else captured what life was like as a teenager quite like John Hughes. My deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences go to the family and friends of Mr. Hughes.

I'm Just Sayin'

How sad. Condolences to his family.

Brittany (not the teenage air-head kind of Brittany)

Gah! 59 is sooo young! Way too young for anyone to go.

abfitch

I used to work at a video store when i was younger and every saturday was Ferris night. We always played that great, classic movie in the store, every saturday evening. John's movies certainly fit well into my memories of being young in the 80's. RIP John!

Whatajoke

wonder who the next 2 will be

Princess75

It is so sad that such a great film maker is lost so young. He was the 1st to make the music of the time such a part of his movies. I can't hear "don't forget about me" without thinking of the end of "the breakfast club." He will be missed. RIP

Apples

so sad! i loved his work!

musheded

This brought a tear to my eye, too young and the voice of a generation (those of us born in the late 60s early 70s), though oddly not a member of our generation. Fabulous movie maker and talented human being, he will be missed.

moviegirl

OMG...what a tragedy! This man single-handedly shaped my youth with all of his amazing movies! What a loss of a great talent! You will be missed. I can't believe this isn't breaking news!

LillyandGish

OMG!! First the person who created the music of a generation dies. Now the person who created the movies of a generation dies. It's the beginning of the end of the world.

R.I.P. John Hughes.