Chris Brown -- Shades of Watergate

8/31/2009 8:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

So how do you explain not remembering the little dispute you had with your girlfriend -- the dispute that made you a felon?

If you're Chris Brown, you explain it by saying that Larry King badgered you into amnesia.

Brown is reacting to a clip that was released in which he said he didn't remember beating Rihanna.

Here's his statement:

"There have been reports on the Internet that I didn't remember what happened that night with Rihanna. I want to try and set things straight.

That 30 seconds of the interview they used of me was taken from a one hour interview during which that same question was asked something like 4 or 5 times -- and when you look at the entire interview you will see it is not representative of what I said.

The first four times – or how ever many times it was - I gave the same answer -- which was that I didn't think it was appropriate for me to talk about what happened that night. I said it was not right for me and it really wasn't fair to Rihanna. The fifth time – or whatever it was – I just misspoke. I was asked, "Do you remember doing it?" and I said, "No."

Of course I remember what happened. Several times during the interview, my mother said that I came to her right afterwards and told her everything. But it was and still is a blur. And yes, I still can't believe it happened because it is not me or who I am or is what happened like anything I have ever done before.

As I have said several times previously, I am ashamed of and sorry for what happened that night and I wish I could relive that moment and change things, but I can't. I take full responsibility for my actions. What I have to do now is to prove to the world that this was an isolated incident and that is not who I am and I intend to do so by my behavior now and in the future
."

Homie1Kanobe

I have a few questions I don't know the anwser to..............
1. DO RECORD COMPANYS HIRE CONVICTED FELONS
2. DO THE RECORD COMPANYS HAVE A CLAUSE IN THIER CONTRACTS TO FIRE THE ARTIST IF THEY BECOME A FELON WHILE UNDER CONTRACT..
3. IF THE TO 2 IS YES HOW LONG DOES THE ARTIST HAVE BEFORE THEY ARE FIRED.........
AND JUST THINKING OUT LOUD ,A FELON CAN'T BE GOOD FOR BUSINESS. THE SALES , THE COST FOR PROMOTOINS
I THINK CHRIS BROWN IS A LIABILTY TO ANY COMPANY

Lawyer

This after-the-fact explanation of not-really-alleged-amnesia would be far more believable if you didn't do Larry's interview dressed like one of the Menendez brothers at a preliminary hearing.

Jack

LOL TMZ most people here wont know what Watergate was !!!

showgirl

His he freckin kidding us. He really is a fool!!

jordan

What kind of a man beats a woman then takes his mommy with him to to an interview about it. And what kind of a mother defends his actions. I hope she likes her new mercedes or whatever he got her for this. Sad thing is in a few months this will all be forgotten and he'll beat some other woman thats stupid enough to hang out with him

Ryan Kealey

Geez, who is handling Chris Brown???

They keep giving him bad advice, telling him to say things that blow up in his face, etc. His career is VERY damaged and his being silent and vanishing for a year is the only thing that may help.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

PASSION OF THE TAINT

Chris Brown Threatens Rihanna again...

NOT AN APOLOGY!

This is real not a fake:

janalal4

One of the Melendez brothers-aaaaahhhhh! I thought I was gonna die laughing!! Now that's funny! He says this is not a pattern for him? This is not who he is?? He's already done it twice before. This guy really doesn't get what he has done does he? I'm Chris Brown & if I say it is so then it is so!! Is he frickin delusional?? He needs to SHUT UP & LAY LOW for awhile. Every time he opens his mouth he gets in deeper. Do an MJ, go to Bahrain for a year or so. Dress up like an Aghani woman so nobody recognizes you. Oh that's right they beat their women so you'll be right at home!! I don't think anyone will really miss you while your gone sweetie!! Especially Rihanna.

marky spark

Dude,
GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
love,
everyone

Kim

I am sooooo sick and tired of all of his "BROS" taking up for him and saying "oh, he made a mistake." Hmmm, makes me think...I wonder if those same people would be taking up for him if, when he shoved her head up against the window and continually beat her with his fist, she had suffered a brain injury and died? There is no excuse for violence against women or men...period!!! He only looks like he's sorry when he's in court.

nhung

Time for your mommy to put your PJs on and give you your milk and cookies and tuck you in, you woman beating douche.

Maryland- X Fan

I say , Kick him while he's down!

s jules

Perhaps Chris Brown should take care of himself just like Ryan Jenkins took care of himself, unless he is too cowardly.

I am sick of hearing about the woman-beater. He's a lying bastard who deserves to go to jail

IJustCantBelieveIt

"14. And what is a grown man doing on TV with his mother during an interview?

Posted at 8:04PM on Aug 31st 2009 by Donovan"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I knew someone was gonna ask that.But Donovan what do you care?If he wants his mom there then he will bring her there.He says his mom is his good luck charm,manager and one of his closest friends.Her relationship with him is like Beyonce's/Tina's relationship.She him having his mom around.

Joeb

His freakin' lawyer was sitting there right beside him....I'm tired of these high profile attorneys insulting our intelligence...like we don't know he was coached what to say...he and his stupid attorney are just digging a bigger hole. Chris who?!?!?!?