Ryan Jenkins' Dad -- My Son Is Innocent

8/31/2009 4:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ryan JenkinsThere's now officially one person on the Ryan Jenkins is innocent bandwagon ... his father Dan.

Dan Jenkins sent a letter to the Calgary Herald this weekend, explaining what he believes to be true about the final days of his son's life.

In the letter, Dan says Ryan told him he and Jasmine had returned to L.A. from San Diego "early Friday evening" (August 14) and that she had "run an errand and had not come back."

Interestingly enough, cops believe Jasmine was killed sometime Friday morning between the hours of 2:30 AM and 4:30 AM -- and that Ryan had dumped her body in Buena Park before ditching her car in West Hollywood on Friday afternoon.

Check out Dan's statement here, in which he also claims he was the one who broke the news of Jasmine's murder to Ryan:

"monday, august 17th, i was on a holiday when ryan called to tell me he was driving home to canada. he sadly recounted that jasmine had left him again.

he said they had returned from san diego early friday evening, she had gone out saying she needed to run an errand and had not come back. By late saturday afternoon he went to the laPd and reported her missing ....

sunday his mom called. ryan told her that jasmine had disappeared again and he was feeling miserable. his mom suggested to him, as any mother would, to pack up and come home to canada. ryan finally said oK, packed his things in l. a., drove to their las vegas apartment, picked up his belongings and his boat and drove northward to canada. he said he had reported jasmine missing since she would usually call her mom or girlfriends when she disappeared and this time no one had heard from her--he was genuinely concerned and worried about her.

i was concerned and asked what the police department thought about him travelling north. he said that he had been in contact with them and given them his phone number and his licence plate and location. i told him to make sure that he stayed in contact with them and we both hoped she would show up in the next few days.

on wednesday morning, i heard the awful news that jasmine had been found murdered. i started trying to reach ryan. i got a call from ryan that afternoon from Birch Bay. i told him that i had heard that jasmine had been found murdered. he was in shock and broke down crying. i assume he panicked and thinking he might be a suspect, he jumped in his boat and drove to Point roberts so he could reach vancouver where much of his family lived. i caught a plane to vancouver the next morning and was detained at the airport -- the authorities said they wanted to find ryan for illegal entry into canada. while i was in line at customs he called me but i was told to hang up the phone--cell phones were not allowed. tragically, that was the last time i heard my son's voice.

it is my recollection that ryan talked briefly with his vancouver lawyer on thursday morning and agreed to call him later on thursday and that he would surrender to the police. with all the media attention, he was probably afraid and never did return his call.

if ryan had done such a thing, would he have filed a missing person's report?

would he have listened to his mom and driven home to canada?

if he was guilty of this crime, would he have casually driven to las vegas to collect his things, pull his boat out of the water and driven slowly north?

would he have talked with his lawyer in vancouver?

i totally believe that my son was innocent of this crime and believe that the last three days of his life were spent alone in a hotel room watching the media report that he was the brutal killer of his own wife. on television it was as if he had been tried and convicted. i think in his loneliness and despair he simply gave up."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

doyle

parents are always the last to know. its always the same old story, not my kid. never

mimi

i believe him too..ryan was INNOcent!!! RIP Ryan..

RobertBee

How sad Ryans father is dealing with the loss of his son with these delusions of innocence. Ryan was guilty of killing Jasmine, chopping off her fingers, pulling out her teeth and disposing of her body in a garbage dumpster. He killed himself to get away from his guilt. Ryans dad needs to come to grips with the fact his son was a murderer and a coward.

dont know

Delusional father...get a clue old man!

zombie_hands

I would think he would want the LAPD to help find his wife. But if he knew where she was or he just didn't care I guess he wouldn't help the PD. I don't buy that he just decided to leave LA completely after talking to his mother. He knew what he was going to do. He knew he needed his boat to get him further up north. Dan Jenkins maybe as shady as his son.

MsCommonSense

Parents never think that their own children can be capable of such horrific crimes!

It's in the news all the time "My son could never do such a thing!"

Who wants to be a parent of a horrific murderer let's face it!

zombie_hands

Editor's Note: Following is an unedited statement provided to the Calgary Herald by Dan Jenkins, the father of Calgarian Ryan Jenkins, who was the subject of a week-long international manhunt after he was charged with the murder of his ex-wife, Jasmine Fiore.

Statement of Dan Jenkins

Aug. 28, 2009

In the spring of this year, Ryan travelled to L.A. and spent five weeks filming a reality TV show entitled Megan Wants a Millionaire. After the show was finished filming, he went with a friend to Las Vegas. While there he met Jasmine and three days later married her in a Las Vegas wedding. Our family was shocked, but it was done. I never got a chance to meet Jasmine. They flew to Calgary while I was away on a business trip. Before I got back they had left to go to Jasmine's grandmother's funeral that had died unexpectedly.

It was a passionate and tumultuous relationship. Shortly after they were married, they were attending a pool party at a Vegas hotel when Ryan turned around and saw Jasmine kissing a stranger. He grabbed her hand and tried to leave. They argued, he pushed her away and she fell in the pool. He spent two horrific days in jail — for pushing someone in a swimming pool!! Sometime later he would say to me, "Dad — I cannot spend another day in jail for questioning — not one more day — I would rather die" — a foretelling of the tragic events to unfold months later.

Ryan came to Calgary to wrap up some business affairs in June and confided in me that his life was not the storybook fairy tale that everyone believed. Jasmine would disappear for days on end, which hurt him deeply. I recall a discussion about one of these — a three-day trip to Cabo San Lucas on a private jet while Ryan was at home.

I pleaded with Ryan to get out of this dysfunctional relationship but he said he couldn't — that he was in love and she was his wife and that he was trying to make it work.

The production company wanted Ryan to appear on another show that was to film in Mexico. He left for about six weeks and finally got back around the end of July or early August. In an e-mail to his sister he told her how in love with Jasmine he was and that they were very happy.

Monday, Aug. 17, I was on a holiday when Ryan called to tell me he was driving home to Canada. He sadly recounted that Jasmine had left him again. He said they had returned from San Diego early Friday evening, she had gone out saying she needed to run an errand and had not come back. By late Saturday afternoon he went to the LAPD and reported her missing.

Sunday his mom called. Ryan told her that Jasmine had disappeared again and he was feeling miserable. His mom suggested to him, as any mother would, to pack up and come home to Canada. Ryan finally said OK, packed his things in L.A., drove to their Las Vegas apartment, picked up his belongings and his boat and drove northward to Canada. He said he had reported Jasmine missing since she would usually call her mom or girlfriends when she disappeared and this time no one had heard from her — he was genuinely concerned and worried about her.

I was concerned and asked what the police department thought about him travelling north. He said that he had been in contact with them and given them his phone number and his licence plate and location. I told him to make sure that he stayed in contact with them and we both hoped she would show up in the next few days.

On Wednesday morning, I heard the awful news that Jasmine had been found murdered. I started trying to reach Ryan. I got a call from Ryan that afternoon from Birch Bay. I told him that I had heard that Jasmine had been found murdered. He was in shock and broke down crying. I assume he panicked and thinking he might be a suspect, he jumped in his boat and drove to Point Roberts so he could reach Vancouver where much of his family lived. I caught a plane to Vancouver the next morning and was detained at the airport — the authorities said they wanted to find Ryan for illegal entry into Canada. While I was in line at customs he called me but I was told to hang up the phone — cellphones were not allowed. Tragically, that was the last time I heard my son's voice.

It is my recollection that Ryan talked briefly with his Vancouver lawyer on Thursday morning and agreed to call him later on Thursday and that he would surrender to the police. With all the media attention, he was probably afraid and never did return his call.

If Ryan had done such a thing, would he have filed a missing person's report?

Would he have listened to his mom and driven home to Canada?

If he was guilty of this crime, would he have casually driven to Las Vegas to collect his things, pull his boat out of the water and driven slowly north?

Would he have talked with his lawyer in Va

Chris

Okay, sure, old man. Now take your pills and go back to bed.

Joyce Nicodemus

He reported her missing to make it look like he was concerned.

He listened to his mom because it would be harder to question him in Canada.

He casually drove to Vegas to collect his things, including his precious boat because he probably had no intention of coming back unless forced to.

He talked to his lawyer because he knew he might need one.

He removed her fingertips and teeth. He forgot about or was not aware of the implant id. He killed himself because he knew he was "found out" and that his "perfect crime" was imperfect.

I'm sure that the police will find further evidence of his guilt in that car.

Parents want to believe the best of their children. Sooner or later, the reality of evidence has to come into play.

Paparazzo@frog.cc

This old fool probably was the enabler who turned Ryan into a monster.

Dad

What about the blood and hair found at their hotel in the patio of the room in Del Mar?

sFar

Is LAPD still investagating this murder or have the closed the case since their #1 suspect is dead? What evidence do they have? It sounds as though she left him all of the time. We already know she was in a relationship with at least one other person. How many boyfriends did she have? Maybe one of them were tired of her being with others. It's sad that Ryan never got a chance to plead his case. The media and the public sentenced him before he was arrested. Hopefully both of their families will find closure in the near future. It's a tragic story all the way around!!!

upchuck21

Ryan Jenkins: My Dad is Delusional...

Lili

Yeah, okay, MsCommonSense hit the nail on the head - no parent wants to believe the worst of his own child. If you had been accused of murder, you would probably find your parents not only backing you up, but standing between you and the police/press and loudly defending you and making excuses for every single thing that you did.

Jenkins will need that support once he's indicted.

That said...

He met a girl and married her in the space of a weekend - then got insanely jealous of her life. She suddenly shouldn't have friends or go away from him at all? I think that someone grew up a little entitled and that very few people have ever said "no" to him. Whether or not he did kill her, is it any surprise he's a major suspect? Lots of spousal murderers file missing persons reports, travel immediately after the spouse's murder (even before it's been recognised as a murder), travel slowly so as not to attract the attention of five-o. If he wasn't guilty why DID he talk to his lawyer? Wouldn't he have assumed that he didn't need to, if he was innocent?

I'm just sayin'.

anotherfnday

Daddy Dan and O.J. can pool thier money and offer rewards for the "real killers"! ......save your cash, the real killer of Nicole and Ron is now behind bars in a Nevada jail and the the real killer of Jasmine is on his way to Hell!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments