« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Chargers Star -- Tila Tequila Was Drunk

9/7/2009 10:12 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

San Diego Chargers superstar Shawne Merriman is finally speaking about the incident that got him arrested yesterday, telling FoxSports.com that his girlfriend Tila Tequila was drunk and he was only trying to keep her safe.

"On September 6, 2009 the San Diego Sheriff's Department responded to a citizen's complaint that was initiated by Tila Nguyen (aka Tila Tequila). I was taken into custody based upon that complaint. At the time, I was concerned about her welfare given the intoxicated state she appeared to be in and I encouraged her to stay until safe transportation could be provided.

"We would all do our best to help a friend if we considered their actions to be detrimental to their personal safety. I in no way caused any harm to Ms. Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported. She was released and has since returned to Los Angeles, California.

"There have been no charges filed against me. I want to thank the San Diego Sheriff's Department for their professionalism. I will continue to cooperate fully with the Department, and I look forward to clearing my name regarding these false allegations. I want to put this behind me so I can continue to focus on a successful season for the San Diego Chargers."

UPDATE: Tila has Twittered a response to Shawne's allegations -- saying there's no way she could have been drunk because, "I am allergic to alcohol. It has been publicly known for years. That is how I got the name Tila "Tequila" cuz the irony. I cant drink"

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

DaytonaGirl

Allergic to alcohol? What a joke. Strange that there were videos of "Tila Tiquila Drunk" and now they are "Removed By User." What a liar! Hate people like that. Leave the guy alone .... he was doing a good deed. She is a skank.

Sugah

Just before the San Diego game, Tila went on twitter and said she was soooooo drunk and had forgotten her bra. Now those tweets are deleted. Leads me to wonder how you can tell everyone how drunk you are and then say you don't drink cause you're allergic to alcohol. I smell a bad job of back pedaling here! She nees to be exiled to stupid-land with Perez Hilton.

Lilarose

This happened in the middle of the night! Like, just before the sun came up!

If these two had been home in bed (their own homes, in bed alone since they are not married to each other), then all of this wouldn't have happened. And I hope they NEVER marry each other. I can tell right now it won't work!

Oh, crap! I forgot! No one marries anymore. And if they do, most likely they aren't in bed with their spouse!

happy day

Just another dumb NFL player, with a dumb little skank HO, Why do you guys get yourselves involved with trash like this, she is nothing but Trash, what do you see in that little Rice picker????
Fake Boobs big deal, go find a lady not a skank washed up little biatch.

Ross

A part of the story that doesn't make sense to me is his people keep saying that she was "drunk" and that he was trying to prevent her from leaving in that state. My question is, HOW did he try to prevent her from leaving? Drunk or not, a big 300 pound football linebacker against a tiny woman has no right to choke her and beat up on her when she was clearly trying to leave for a reason. Why was she trying to leave him anyway? What did he do to scare her so bad to the point of her wanting to run away? Hmmmm I smelly something fishy here with his story

Extravagantly-Creative

Allergic to alcohol ??

That sure turned around & bit you on the Ass, Shawna . . . . 'er, Shawne.

TilaTruth

Tweets have been deleted, but here's a screenshot that contradicts what she said. And if it's deleted from ImageShack, I have it saved. It's not disappearing.

I wanna throw up

First and foremost I dont think things happened the way tila says.
Lets show that liar some facts.. Im not a football fan and deff not a fan of tila's shes a disgrace to women...

1)She claims to be allergic to alcohol and that she dosent drink but spent her 2 shows drinking so how is she allergic?? Thats Bs on her part.

2) It has beeb a known fact that she suffers from OCD and Anxiety mixed with a little alcohol and you got problems.

I think she was probably leading him on giving him lap dances over and over. They probably leftwent to his place and started making out but between her mental thoughts some alcohol and just being pregnant a month or so before not knowwing if she wanted some d*** or some proootang she probably started spazzzzing out, for no reason he probaly got scared as she was screamming loud with her squeeky voice screamming, she probably wanted to leave drunk and probably under the influence of some sort of perscription drugs. Seeing that she was all screwed up he probably went to stop her but her stupied a** fought that.
Now shes probably sayying damn I screwed up and overreactes
she does have a BIG mouth doesnt know how to fix her problems. she is going with the flow. but that doesent matter she is losing alot of wannabe fans.
I dont see why a man that big would choke a women that small knowing that he could really do severe damage?

And On my part she's a disgrace to all women she is nasty and is only known for being a wench a big wench and to me sshe just looks like one of those kids from feed the children but with makeup.. Sorta like a somolian with make up..
No offence to the Innocent children on feed the children
Your freakking nasty tequila

Matt

Allergic to alcohol my ass, she sure seemed fine doing shots on her show. And ive seen videos of this chick drunk before. Saying she's allergic to alcohol is a built in excuse she tries to use. Cops found no marks or evidence of violence on her body, she was the one that called the cops and made a citizens arrest. If he choked her, a man his size would have made some sort of mark on a woman as small as her. Merriman's attorney also says people that were there will back his side of the story up. His side of the story makes sense, her's doesnt. This is a woman that starves for attention and drama. This gets her name out there for a couple days, which gets people to look her up on the internet, go to her myspace or twitter or whatever social network she tries to use to maintain the little fame she has.
If he did in fact beat her, then he should be locked up but all the evidence is pointing the other way.

Jomica Man

I strongly suspect with all the lap dancing that went on at the club, this women gave Shawne some major blue balls. When they went to his place to complete the treatment to releive blue balls, the teaser decided to not go through with the act itself. I've known a few woment in my time that find D**k Teasing during a party type setting to be a form of amusement. In my opinion, Shawne said to himself, oh no you're not getting me all worked up, and not giving it up. This women was problably trying to just get out after leaving him wanting for more of what she decided to not give up. I may be wrong on this, but I'm certain the big time tease to the blue ball syndrom was a factor. His excuse was trying to prevent her from driving drunk. We'll see how the real truth will unfold.

Kelly

TMZ - Please get your timeline correct. Shawne's statement was not released til almost midnight PST ... Tila's twitter about her allergy was earlier in the evening.

Delicious

in her tila taquila mtv show they were drinking a lot of booze and tila was drinking also...

Saxon

"Deputies said when they arrived at Merriman's house that Nguyen acknowledged she had been drinking and appeared intoxicated"

It is her right to be selfish. I just she doesn't drag Merriman down with her.

ly9512

She's such an idiot. She probably was drunk. Here is an article I found from www.mayoclinic.com

"Question
Alcohol allergy: Is there such a thing?
Is there such a thing as alcohol allergy? After drinking just one alcoholic beverage, I get a rash all over and I throw up.

Answer
from James T. Li, M.D.
Some people are more sensitive to the effects of alcohol than are others. However, this doesn't mean you have an alcohol allergy.

A true food allergy involves your immune system. In such cases, your immune system mistakenly identifies a specific food or a component of that food as a harmful substance. Your immune system triggers certain cells to produce immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies to fight the "enemy" food or food component. Signs and symptoms of food allergy include tingling in the mouth, hives, breathing difficulties, and swelling of your lips, tongue or throat.

An alcohol allergy would be very uncommon. However, you could be allergic to other ingredients in an alcoholic beverage, such as wheat or sulfur dioxide, a preservative. There are also substances in some alcohol beverages such as wine that can cause flushing or even rashes.

Still, it's more likely that you have an alcohol intolerance — which means you are more sensitive to the normal effects of alcohol. Alcohol can cause a variety of immediate adverse effects on the body, including headache, rapid heartbeat, nausea or vomiting, heartburn, abdominal pain, nasal congestion, or warm, red, itchy skin."

Zach Swan

With due respect Tila, he didn't say anything about alcohol or you being drunk. He said "intoxicated". So if you don't drink, what where you high on? Could it have been: cocaine?