Ellen to 'Idol' Fans -- Don't Hate Me

9/10/2009 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ellen DeGeneresEllen DeGeneres made a plea to "Idol" nation today -- telling fans that she's not to blame for Paula Abdul's departure from the show.

A seemingly excited Ellen called in to "On Air with Ryan Seacrest" this morning, where she told Ryan she doesn't want people to think she's "evil" for taking Paula's job.

Though Paula has yet to comment on the switch, Ellen also said, "I hope Paula is okay with it."

Laughing

Hey Ellen. . . . If you were in Paula's shoes would you be OK with it? Yeah right. She loved that job and was just trying to get a raise like the others. You jump in and take her place... pullease! You looked like a fool when you guest judged on sytycd and this will be worse.

SUSAN

Ellen.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I LOVE YOU AND YOU'RE GONNA BE A GREAT ADDITION TO THE SHOW. NOW I'LL START WATCHING AGAIN!!!

debbie

It doesn't matter that Ellen is now on as a judge. The REAL issue is how much is getting paid? And is Kara going to get upset since Ellen will most prob get her laughs in.

Rocky

Who cares, show sucks. Check out diceituponline

Tired and Ready for A Nap

I certainly don't hate Ellen Degeneres. I find her to be very funny and clever. However, her lack of a musical background doesn't bring much to the table. If she is representing the 'viewer' then AI should have held a contest and chosen someone from obscurity to come in and be Joe Q. Public.

are you kidding?!

xoxo

I think that now, with Ellen as a new judge, Simon Cowell should ask Sacha Baron Cohen’s alter-ego ‘Bruno’ for inspiration – THE OLD MAN IS BORING

I’m sure Simon will wow everybody as the Queen’s Guard….he can invite ‘Bruno’...Oooooooo!!!... I cannot wait!!!

I am so happy that American Idol is not anymore family oriented show!!!

xoxo

juan locdog

This show Officially sucks. thanks ellen we dont want to see you your like a gay sesame street actor, get lost.

Phishsteak

She doesn't need to have a background in the music business. Simon has an abdundant quality of knowledge. I think she will make the show even better than it was. She's amazing.

rgdownes

I absolutely love Ellen, but don't think the panel needs comedy. Most of the competitors are serious about this chance and will not want to be judged by someone with no music industry background, or laughed at by her jokes. This makes as much sense as putting "cute and bubbly" Katie Couric in a job as serious as hers is now.

Trooper Tom

Abdul was all about Abdul every show had her retarded antics thank god she's gone, now if only they can dump that screaming cow Mary Murphy from that dance show TV land will ne a lot better

veronica

Paula Abdul is a terrible singer. She's the reason I hated American Idol, but hopefully, if she's really leavin', I will watch it. And ellen, I love u, so who cares what Paula thinks. She never had any "true" comments but, "that was terrific", and who claps like her..? SOOOO happy she's leavin'...

bitzod

she`s got a FOX inside mob deal going...I remember her when she was spinning POP bottles at the nebraska state fair.Show sucks she sucks mobsters and FOX is as much as a rip off as micheals at sat nite DOA movies sucks.Hollywood beter grow up fast or lose the international markets altraly2gather.STICK to flat cartoons with bad mouth bratSS& grand ma suck suck

Tink44

At first I was thinking against Ellen comng on American Idol, but after listening to her, I changed my mind. Best of luck to you Ellen! If you are reading this, why dont you ask Simon to get rid of Kara or whatever her name is. It can be you, Simon and Randy. I think she is the dowfall of American Idol adn I think alot of people agree with me. If it aint broke, dont fix it. They never should have had Kara. She ruined it.

alemeyo

i think this is going to be interesting
to see Ellen judge
so give her a chance
maybe she will make the show funnier

Raejean

I don't hate you, Ellen, I just don't think there is a single thing about you that qualifies you for the job. It's always nice to have people with actual musical talent and backgrounds judging musical people!

If you're accepting less than what she got, what is happening with YOUR "comedy" career?