« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Washington Redskins -- The Supreme Challenge

9/15/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Washington Redskins -- The Supreme ChallengeThe war over the Washington Redskins -- the most offensive team name in professional sports -- might finally go to the U.S. Supreme Court.

A group of American Indians is asking the highest court in the land to cancel the trademarks on the Redskins team name and logos -- due to the fact that they're extremely defamatory toward Native Americans.

The American Indian group has been fighting this battle since 1992. They won a ruling in 1999 ... but the decision was defeated soon after by judges who decided they waited too long to bring their case to the courts.

The Redskins -- worth a reported $1.5 billion -- have been using the name since 1933.

Now, the Native American group wants SCOTUS to review the lower court decision -- and finally force Washington to understand why naming an NFL team after the color of someone's skin could be offensive.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

mrez golucky

Yikes! Football season is here!

Nayer

Offend my nuts you liberal fa66z.

tina

oh please! HAIL is all I have to say. You cant change something just because you dont like it. No true fan associates the Redskins with anything negetive (other than Jason Cambell of course, who should be replaced any day now)

corey smith

Tell them to take their tax free money...buy the team and change the name. Some people might find it offensive that many native americans don't have to pay taxes. I have native american blood and am not the least little bit offended by the name of the football team.

Jesus juice

They tried pulling that garbage with the Cleveland Indians baseball team too a few years ago. The Mascot is Chief Wahoo. Lordy, don't these ppl have anything else to do with their time than wait 50-75 years later after team names have been established and then complain? I think someone's been hitting the peacepipe once too much.

Joe Bescophilis

Oh shut up! It doesn't demean anything. It doesn't disrespect anything or anybody. What a bunch of cry-baby idiots. Sitting Bull is probably turing in his grave at the thought of what the modern Indian is doing to the conception of modern Indians.

katie

im trying to understand.. how is having a distinguished nfl football team use a symbol of your heritage as their proud logo offensive??? seriously, to me it would be an honor... but maybe im looking at it the wrong way???!!!

curious

Come on! Do you know any "native" Americans with "red" skin? The ones I know are a sort of brownish like Latinas.

homie1kanobe

i SAY CHAMGE THE NAME AND GIVE THEM EBOUGH MONEY TOO BIULD 10 MORE GAMBLING CASINOS :)

RKV

Ha!It is very racist. The Redskins suck! Ha! So do the Washing Capitals. The Penguins always beat the Hell ouf of them.

GO STEELERS!!

And, God Bless the American Indian. Time for this football franchise to stop with this nonsense. They stink as it is. Nice game on Sunday against the Giants....LMAO!!

nightcrawler

TMZ CENSORSHIP PRACTICES ARE FAR MORE EXCESSIVE THAN RUSSIA, VENEZUALA AND CHINA! Obviously slanted towards thier own agenda!

Lynn

I do not find the team name offensive and I am Native American (I do not collect a free check, I enjoy working for a living and I'm not a drunk, so no one attack me).

Jacks

I have never understood this. They should be honored that they are considered to be a great nationality. Should I be offended because I'm Scandinavian and there are the Minnesota Vikings? What about all those Irish that should be offended by Notre Dame's "Fighting Irish". Some people are waaaaaaaay too sensitive.

London not England

Ya Know...I'll be the FIRST one to call out racism when I see it...(such as the thinly vailed racism against the first black president of the United States)but I really don't see the problem here....?????
If there was a football team called "The Washington African Americans" that won Super bowls, and had all kinds of fans...I'd be proud....
Indians should shut the HELL Up and thank their lucky stars that they are being (and have been) acknowledged for all these years: The Cleveland Browns, the Washington Redskins...etc...
Who knows..they might even have the first Indian PResident of the United States one day....and if it ever happens,I bet HE'LL get more respect than our current President!
People won't let their children listen to a GOSH DARNED SPEECH from the President....AS IF....
I bet they don't want him or his family swimming in the same swimming pool either....?????!!!
The things white people do..Tsk, Tsk....

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments