« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Washington Redskins -- The Supreme Challenge

9/15/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Washington Redskins -- The Supreme ChallengeThe war over the Washington Redskins -- the most offensive team name in professional sports -- might finally go to the U.S. Supreme Court.

A group of American Indians is asking the highest court in the land to cancel the trademarks on the Redskins team name and logos -- due to the fact that they're extremely defamatory toward Native Americans.

The American Indian group has been fighting this battle since 1992. They won a ruling in 1999 ... but the decision was defeated soon after by judges who decided they waited too long to bring their case to the courts.

The Redskins -- worth a reported $1.5 billion -- have been using the name since 1933.

Now, the Native American group wants SCOTUS to review the lower court decision -- and finally force Washington to understand why naming an NFL team after the color of someone's skin could be offensive.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

laughs at Obama voters

IF IT MAKES A LIBERAL CRY, IT IS A GOOD THING.

No matter what it is.

Marie

OMG I AM NATIVE AMERICAN AND I PAY TAXES JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT THE REDSKINS NAME ??? I DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONAL WHAT'S NEXT ARE WE GOING TO BAND NATIVE AMERICAN COSTUMES FOR HALLOWEEN ???? GET OVER IT .........

CENTER OF YOUR UNIVERSE FOR NOW

PANTHERS, LA RAZA, KLU-KLUX-KLAN, SKINHEADS, or even REDSKINS...it's all about civil rights unfortunately! Am I a taxing paying, non-alcoholic Native American, who isnt offended by this selfish ordeal? YES! I truly don't give a hoot, but I obviously am giving my sense of pride in this defamation blog. Be kind with racial slurs please, that's all I ask...it truly isnt fun being called a "squaw" in a grocery store for no apparent reason. Good luck to all and again, respect the melting pot. :D

NativePride

First I'd like to say that Natives do pay taxes, You dumb ass!! Not every tribe has the opportunity to have a casino or have any type of extra money coming in, unless you call getting a Free Fishing license a great bonus! We get crappy health and dental coverage! The natives that are Federally Recognized, it wasn't an easy task!, some of those tribes have to fight for Years to prove who they are, even when they are living of Federal Trust Land, they still have to prove who they are! It's offensive because Native americans are not Red, Just as african americans are not Black! Natives back in the 30's couldn't do anything. They were treated just as bad as african americans were treated. It's disgusting that any of you retards are complaining about Native Americans!, They were Here First!, and had everything taken from them! Did you know that the whites came in and would rape the females and slaugter them, and there children and take the men as slaves, just to get there land!!! Come on People Grow Up!!

stephanie

brits ok

Absolutely ridiculous!!!!! I find their I'm a lazy drunk because of white man attitude offensive. I find their tax free status offensive. I find their land claims offensive. I find their non citizen attitude offensive. Do they plan on changing any of that soon? No? Then the Redskins is just a fine name to me.

tomkey

I'm so sick of stupid people

Marie

Then why do we have APACHE HELICOPTERS in da ARMED FORCES
118. One last time. It's not a liberal thing, it's a human issue. Native people's views and opinions are still considered meaningless as the posts on this website have confirmed. Natives who agree with the Redskin logo have sold out their people whether they are half, full or quarter. You have agreed that we are bottom of the barrel and should not be taken seriously. I pray that the supreme court takes a different view.

Posted at 4:42PM on Sep 15th 2009 by stephanie

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/15/washington-redskins-the-supreme-challenge/8#comments#ixzz0RDAmDNJz

Pat Brown

A waste of taxpayer money and court time. People generally don't think along stereotypical lines anymore. (Otherwise, would Obama have ever been elected President?)
I'm Bronx-Irish and white as can be without being an albino, and I've never been offended by the logos of Notre Dame or Lucky Charms. Being called a Mick or Harp doesn't bother me either.
I hope these folks having a fit over the name Redskins aren't driving around with "Red Power" bumper stickers.

balls

balls

Lisa

I am a Native American, and I think the name of the football team and logo are not offensive. In fact my dad is a fan of them:)

M

Well I can tell by most of your comments that you are not American Indian. I am. I can see why some people are offended by the name. There is one definition that bothers me and it is involves the bloody skins (red-skins) of Native people as "prizes," in which they would be scalped after battle and their skins bought and sold in local towns. Well I personally do work and pay taxes and own my own home. So please do not hate on me as I am just stating facts. I do think that some of the comments made were very derrogotory towards American Indians and if that is how you feel about my people then you have no right to even say anything about the Red Skins name. Have some respect for others!

Chucky

Okay then call them the Whiteskins, I'm okay with that. My skin is not really white but I'm considered whiteskined. WTF

LAW

Unbelievable. I read TMZ for fun but when I see a bunch of idiots who voted NO on banning the mascot, and it's over 75%, it makes me realize how actually dumb you all are. Try doing some reading before you vote and see what redskins really means. Duh, it's not that hard but for you all it must be. I'm going to laugh at all your a$$s who voted NO when it gets banned.

wade crowe

white folk are always thinking they are noble. what if native americans decided to have a mascot of wtc jumpers?