« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Washington Redskins -- The Supreme Challenge

9/15/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Washington Redskins -- The Supreme ChallengeThe war over the Washington Redskins -- the most offensive team name in professional sports -- might finally go to the U.S. Supreme Court.

A group of American Indians is asking the highest court in the land to cancel the trademarks on the Redskins team name and logos -- due to the fact that they're extremely defamatory toward Native Americans.

The American Indian group has been fighting this battle since 1992. They won a ruling in 1999 ... but the decision was defeated soon after by judges who decided they waited too long to bring their case to the courts.

The Redskins -- worth a reported $1.5 billion -- have been using the name since 1933.

Now, the Native American group wants SCOTUS to review the lower court decision -- and finally force Washington to understand why naming an NFL team after the color of someone's skin could be offensive.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

West. C

of course its offensive! and i am a mexican american. a team named the Blackskins with a black guy and a piece of straw in his ear wouldnt fly. so why shouldn't american indians feel disrespected?...

Janis

My maternal grandmother is Native American and she absolutely LOVES the Redskins!!!

wade crowe

i laugh at these so called white folk who say they are part native american, well which nation claims you? i am yanktonai hunkpati dakota sioux from south dakota. get rid of the mascot!

wade crowe

what's even funnier is when the white folk always seem to have a grandmother who is native american, never the grandfather. reason is because the whiteman would rape the native women and kill the native men.

wade crowe

full blood american indian? which tribe? which band? who are your elders?

wade crowe

hokti, figures that you would approve the redskins. you're creek from the five civilized tribes aren't you? your ancestors didn't fight against the fat takers did they.

Hokti

Wade Crow - The comments here are pertaining to the objection of the name Red Skins being used as a team name....not as to who my ancestors fought or didn't fight against. And no matter who my ancestors may have fought or not fought, I'm still Indian, and yes, though it shouldn't matter, I am Creek.

ArJuna

I have love and compassion for everyone and I've always judged people by their intention and not their actions. I do not think the Washington Redskins ever intended to offend anyone with their name. I also do not believe that a single fan ever sees the name as derogatory or intends to imply anything negative toward American Indians.

I have talked to my father who is 100% Lakota to get his opinion and he agrees with me. He grew up on a reservation in PA and is a die hard Steeler's fan, but he loves the Redskins too now that he lives in the D.C. area. I have taken him to a couple games and he enjoys it for what it is and is not offended in the least.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9