« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Rev. Al:

Plaxico's Sentence

'Unusually Harsh'

9/23/2009 2:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Reverend Al Sharpton is coming out swinging against Plaxico Burress' 2-year prison sentence -- claiming Plax's punishment is "way out of proportion with the crime."

Rev. Al Sharpton -- Plaxico Burress
The Rev just sent us the following statement:

"I think it is an unusually harsh sentence for someone who was his own victim. He should be punished but his sentence is way out of proportion with the crime.

Celebrities should not be given special treatment but they should not be given exceptional punishments either."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

The Truth

25. I agree with Al this sentence is harsh, but if that is the mandatory sentence in NY then so be it.

By the way this is not the mandatory sentence in all states. I got caught with an unregistered handgun in CA. and I got community service.

Posted at 4:36AM on Sep 23rd 2009 by havok

That's because Ca can't afford to feed your stupid azz ..Grow up u idiot

Deanna

hey big al,

NEWSFLASH: plax PLED GUILTY to a crime IN EXCHANGE FOR the 2-year prison sentence. he could have gone to jury if he wanted, but he decided to accept a deal which HE KNEW included a 2 year prison sentence. so if you don't like it, take it up with plax, because HE'S THE ONE WHO AGREED TO IT. jeebus christmas.

v.c.s.

Hey Al, So what if he got 2 years . If he behaves with good conduct he should be out of prison in a year or less . The judge was fair .

SUSAN

I DON'T THINK REV. SHARPTON IS WRONG AT ALL! WHO CARES WHAT COLOR PLAXICO IS, HIS PUNISHMENT IS TOO SEVERE...it broke my heart seeing him with his little girl who was about to be ripped from his arms.

Sally

It was harsh.

MarcoInAmerica

Wait for it...Wait for it...
RACISM!!!!!!

Who me

"it's unually harsh because he accidentally shot himself."

To all who want to play the race card!

HE RECEIVED TWO YEARS BECAUSE HE WAS CARRYING A FIREARM, NOT BECAUSE HE SHOT HIMSELF!

IN NEW YORK CITY, IT IS ILLEGAL TO PACK HEAT WITHOUT A LICENSE!

Mr. X

Where was the Rev. when that black kid attacked the white kid on the bus? F-ing hypocrite. Go to hell Al.

RM

I am from NYC.
I have met Rev Al. It is rare that he and I agree on anything,
but we are on the same page on this one. Burress victimized no one
but himself. He has owned and possessed legal firearms in the state of Florida. The draconian gun laws in NY prevented him
from legally possessing the firearm. He lacked training.
The D.A.'s office in NYC (a) likes a winner (b) does not want
to look bad. Burress received a harsh sentence due to his
celebrity. The D.A. wants to look like on tough guy on
firearms. If Burress was a normal Joe Schmo, without any
media coverage, he would have gotten time served and
probation

Skank

Sharpton is one ugly ass opportunist! He's ONLY saying something because this guy is BLACK! If he were white (ie, the white girl that got the pulp beat out of her on the bus by a bunch of black girls) he wouldn't say a damn word! If you want equality, you must treat EVERYONE fairly! Obama is president NO MORE BLACK EXCUSES!!! No more affirmative action! It's pointless now! I'm a woman and don't want a job because of it! Hire me based on my abilities! Shame on ME if I can't do something!

ps

The problem is everytime the Rev gets himself involved with people wether their everyday people or celebrities rasicm is going to be a factor because of who he is. I also believe 2 years is way too long but i heard from a few people that the mayor was the one pushing for that sentence. dont know if thats true or not just what i heard and if thats the case then shame oh him.

The Truth

They call him Rev...of what..He's the first Rev I've ever heard run his mouth like a washing machine but never uses the word God or Jesus,WTF....

Jake

Al Sharpton still has jail time to serve for the hate crime he foisted upon the public with the Braxtley (spelling)fiasco.

Dave

For the first time in my life I agree with Sharpton. Never thought this day would come!

Lenn K.

Al, you were never appointed to speak for black people, so go away and get a really job. No one likes you or the whore Jesse Jackson. Black people need real strong leaders, not race hustlers and backstabbing black men like you. Once talk about the real problems in the black community and not show for face time.