Maya Angelou Taken to the Hospital

10/4/2009 12:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Maya AngelouTMZ has learned Maya Angelou was taken to the hospital early Saturday evening.

She was scheduled to be honored at the BraveHeart Awards in Los Angeles.

UPDATE -- Reps for Maya Angelou tell us she was never scheduled to appear at the event last night -- so we have no idea why the organizers told us she was a no-show because she went to the hospital.

Our camera guy on scene was told that Angelou would not be there because she was taken to the hospital. But according to Angelou's people, she never agreed to be there at all and sent a taped acceptance speech in her place.

Angelou is alive and well in St. Louis today and heading off to New York City for the next 2-3 weeks.

SMH

I think the person that stated she is overratted and the people who don't know her need to go back to school and sit in an african american lit class. poems don't have to rhyme( and learn how to spell). Why even comment if you don't know who she is and have nothing intelligent to say...

nan

the only thing i envy about oprah is her friendship with this woman .she is so wise and knoledgable.her books and poety are so moving .in my prayers maya

Twinker

I got chills when she read her poem at Bill Clinton's inauguration. Maya Angelou is a national treasure and I send her speedy get well wishes.

Jeanelle

You folks really don't have respect for anyone, do you? One day you will become old, one day your beauty will fade and I hope that one day you will soon change to be more loving and respectful people.

Get well soon Miss Angelou. I will pray that God stays at your side forever. Love you and thank you for everything you've given to humanity.

samantha signorile

Maya Angelou is an inspiration to all. She has a beautiful soul, and is able to touch million of lives through her expressive writing. She is an amazing woman, anyone would be lucky to be half the woman she is. I always loved her every since i read her book "I know why the caged bird sings" the in freshman year of high school. She touched my life .Every since then i strive to be like her. She is wise extremley respectable and has a huge heart.She is a living legend, I wish her nothing but health and happiness. We can all learn something from great woman. Get well soon!

oh yaaaaaaaaaaa

just want to say....whoever called her a fossil..omg...I rest my case...may god spare this awesome woman who gave soooooooooo much..some peace..

Jay

My prayers are with the "Queen of Quotes" the "Princess of Poetry" the "Dutchess of Dialogue" the "Lady of Lyrics"! People have no idea of the selflessness of this woman. A giver beyond her own means. You are Loved Great Won. You are Loved. We Have You! Get Well!

Ditto: RIP A.J. Jewell!!! You were a cutie!

Jay

And to the first poster.. Have you not witness an Presidential Inaugaration in the past 20 years? She was present for Both Georges, Billy Boy, and O.B. Won Ka President. Get with it.

antoine

wow i just hope she's alright this women means more to literary and the spoken word then any woman alive.......

Em

This woman's work is amazing. ((And whoever made the comment of her work not rhyming, wow, you must be still in grade school.)) She wrote the poetry that Queen Latifah gave voice to at Michael Jackson's memorial. It was beautiful. As is most of her expression.
Please don't let us lose another beautiful person this year - 2009 has taken some great people away from us.

E.A.R.T.H.

We are praying for her speedy recovery!

Jem

Those of you that said you don't know who Maya Angelou, is or that she is over-rated, could you be so kind as to come back in here and let is know what Elementary, Middle and High School you attended. Just as a precaution, because I want to be sure my future children are not enrolled in these places where the curriculum is obviously lacking

tanya

I am wishing you well!! Get well soon with love.

Bemused

Maya Angelou has the (unintentionall) funniest personal/vanity web site on the Internet. She gives bad poetry a bad name.

Bemused

Correction: That should read "(unintentionally)..."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments