Stevie Wonder Breaks Down During MJ Tribute

12/2/2009 9:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Stevie Wonder broke down and nearly cried in the middle of a major televised performance -- and it was all because of Michael Jackson.

The emotional breakdown occurred on-stage at the Rock and Roll 25th Hall of Fame Anniversary Concert -- which aired on HBO this weekend.

Wonder was singing Jackson's, "The Way You Make Me Feel" -- when Stevie, still distraught by the death of his good friend, suddenly chokes up, hunches over and puts his face in his hands ... while the music continues to play.

It all goes down around 1:35 into the clip.

Stevie eventually pulls himself together and finished the song -- and ultimately received a hug from John Legend and a huge ovation from the crowd.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

sue

WOW THAT was very touching, i felt so bad for him, he really took mjs death hard...good job stevie-----sue from tampa

sue

wendy i think they maybe had meant head in fists??? not sure about that either, sue from tampa

scissors

Come to think of it, Stevie was probably just being an attention whore.

wendy

I think your roght, I just watched poor guy, :( Thats sad

DesertChildAZ

I understand that Stevie is one of the only people, besides fans and select family/friends, that has visited Michael's grave at Holly Terrace (according to a cemetery guard). He was a true friend. I wish Michael had more.

Ooooo Noooo!

What in the wide world of sports has THIS got to do with Cheat-a Woods?

MsAlcantara

This broke my heart. I know those who were close to MJ will always feel it 100 times more than us fans. We will miss him forever...

sara

GOD BLESS YOU STEVIE!

Jim

Obviously just a bad acting job by no talent Stevie Wonder. Oh boo hoo, the child molester is dead and rotting in hell.

fordtocarr

OMG that tore at my heart!! Everytime I hear a commercial with Michael singing I cry...I can't watch his movie yet ..and coverage on tv still brings me to tears. I can only imagine how it hurt Stevie to sing Michael's song. (I still cannot believe the Jackson's are doing so amazingly wonderful..promoting new cd's and tv shows, going to dancing with the stars..interviewing...collecting the cash while the cow is still standing)

Babs

# 3 Sue, you are an moron and not in a good way.

Butterfly

Thans for his wonderful name Michael Jackson

LOVE AND MISS YOU

Linda

Stevie you did great in the tribute to MJ. I know how the feelings can just come up without warning when it comes to grief. Stevie your human. God Bless You. God uses you in a mighty way to touch lives.

a fan

I love Stevie Wonder for missing MJ so much that he cried onstage. I have cried over his death everyday since July 7th when Paris spoke at the funeral. I never know when it will happen. I hear a song, or see a picture, or watch a video and the tears just pour out. I am a 54 year old lady who never cries. I have lost both my parents and a step parent and am a retired nurse and have seen plenty of people die but there is something about MJ that has touched my heart in a way I have never experience with any other human being. He was so sweet and innocent and was so misunderstood and mistreated. All he wanted was to help the world and the world destroyed him.

sue

michaels legacy will travel the world many times around and we will see more and more people treasure him for the wonderful man that he truly was and will always be.people can bash him or they can praise him in the end it is always going to be about michael jackson the icon the king of pop forever!!!!rip mj-sue from tampa

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments