Stevie Wonder Breaks Down During MJ Tribute

12/2/2009 9:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Stevie Wonder broke down and nearly cried in the middle of a major televised performance -- and it was all because of Michael Jackson.

The emotional breakdown occurred on-stage at the Rock and Roll 25th Hall of Fame Anniversary Concert -- which aired on HBO this weekend.

Wonder was singing Jackson's, "The Way You Make Me Feel" -- when Stevie, still distraught by the death of his good friend, suddenly chokes up, hunches over and puts his face in his hands ... while the music continues to play.

It all goes down around 1:35 into the clip.

Stevie eventually pulls himself together and finished the song -- and ultimately received a hug from John Legend and a huge ovation from the crowd.

B

;o((( So sad. Michael was truly the BEST that ever did it!

kadengirl

life sucks and then you die. we all miss MJ - hang in there Stevie - time heals.

WillOTheWisp

Love Stevie, Miss Michael! Both are class acts!

xXHEYXx

Aww, that was really sad. Whoever said this was an act, shame on you. Public figures are just that--PUBLIC, so when they show emotion like Stevie did, everyone sees it. That does not make it staged. This just goes to show Michael touched the lives of whoever he came in contact with.

I'tsMagic

Jim....

"No Talent Stevie Wonder"...

Are you insane? Stevie has cried at concerts that aren't televised, what need does this man with a nearly 50-year career have to act? He was writing songs with Jackson when Jackson was 14, 15 years old, they were in the Motown family together, both child stars who have a huge career. You sir, are an idiot.

den in sac

This was touching. God Bless!

SH*T HAPPENS

What's funny is Stevie Wonder started as a child also and he's blind. But look at him still out their doing his his thing and where's MJ 6 feet under turning black again and with worms crawling in and worms crawling out. Too bad your MJ was a drug addict and belongs where he is now.

dom

oh please, he broke because he didn't know the words to the damn song!

hoocheekoo

If you've had the desire and inclination to know more about Michael, it's easy to understand why Stevie Wonder and millions more are still grieving his death. People like Michael don't come along very often. Once in a lifetime if we're lucky.

It's said that people will forget what you say and that they'll forget what you do. But they'll never forget how you make them feel. Stevie was singing the perfect song in remembrance of Michael..."The Way You Make Me Feel"...because he knew how to make us feel good and forget our cares for a while.

Michelle

Wow Could it be that Harvey is finally getting the big picture? I feel that SW is right up there with Mj..I can see the true pain in his face over the loss of such a good friend..I felt watching this video.. and at times when im just simply thinking of him..I am the only one in my fam who see's Mj as such a driving force that he was..To all the people who have such Hate in their hearts how would u all feel if this was one of your loved ones? I will not bash those who base Michael because he would not bash them but I will say there is no reason for hate like I have seen towards Michael..it really breaks my heart and like Mj said I tired of beging the victim of of hate, and I can not beleive this is a land of which I came..those words have never rang so true... At this time...We L+O+V+E you SW and Michael...

Em

God bless you Stevie Wonder, an icon in his own right. His grief is real, he has a truly good heart and wears it on his sleeve. Whenever I hear someone else sing a Michael Jackson song, I hear Michael in the background; I'm sure that's what Stevie Wonder was hearing, too. He is so much more in tune with a presence like that due to his blindness. RIP Michael, we love you, miss you and will always remember you. And thank you Stevie Wonder.

Marie

I will always miss Michael Jackson. I love him so much...

jesse

Awwww thats so sad

I LOVE MICHAEL JACKSON!!!!!

Lee Lee

Pure , raw emotion. I have cried every day since MJ has passed. I never knew him personaly. Imagine how hard that must have been for Stevie. This is not the first moment where Stevie has broken down while talking or singing or listening to Michael.

There are plenty on YOU TUBE.

Stevie did well, His still misses Michael, as we all do....but he knew him for many years.

John

Does anyone have the link where a cemetery guard said that Stevie Wonder visited the cemetery after Michael Jackson was buried