Bob Barker Fleet Loses Boat

1/6/2010 2:27 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The price was wrong for a high-tech speed boat rollin' with the Bob Barker -- the tiny vessel is currently sinking off the coast of Antarctica after a collision with a Japanese whaling ship.

Crash: Click to watch
It was sorta like a showcase showdown -- on water -- when the whaling ship decided to go full speed at the Ady Gil -- a boat operated by the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

Upon impact, the Ady Gil suffered major damage and appeared to be sinking -- but the Bob Barker sailed in and swooped up the crew. A few men reportedly suffered cracked ribs in the crash.

According to the society, the Ady Gil was created to physically block and intercept Japanese whaling harpoon ships -- kinda like really expensive whale bodyguards.

JoJo Dancer

If these people want to get serious, they should hijack the boat (see Somali pirates), dump the crew overboard and sink the ship.

Oops, was that too much? hahahhahahaha

Sono

This is like parking your car on the train tracks and then complaining about how the train eventually ran it over b/c it couldn't stop in time. I hope the Japanese company sues them for any damages their boat incurred while running over that little boat the activists maneuvered into its path.

I don't want to see whales killed either, but this eco vigilantism is totally unacceptable and I would not have shed a single tear had multiple people been killed on that smaller boat.

darkjedi

To post 16 so what you are saying is Greenpeace and sea Sheppard say that they are whaling and not doing scientific research that makes it illegal even though they are in there right under IWC law. so if what i am reading is right what you said is right Greenpeace and sea Sheppard are down there to stop them from doing what is in the law for them to do so in short GP and SS are trying to right there own laws to make what they do right

Kevin

"I am the voice of the whales. I am the voice of animals." Who is the idiot moron who posted this blather? You and the rest of your terrorist buddies need to die under the weight of some wasted whale blubber. I say if one innocent fisherman gets killed because of your actions, the person driving the terrorist boat should hang and the entire corrupt eco-terrorist movement should be prosecuted!!!

Lilarose

I am apparently a liberal activist.....I didn't realize the word "liberal," as #3 explains, means activist.

I have been an activist for four decades, and we managed to make alot of changes in the U.S. Such as more humane treatment for animals in shelters, more humane euthanazia methods for same animals, getting abortions out of back alleys and into decent clinics, establishing adequate child care facilities for working parents, and lots more.

What does "liberal" have to do with being a decent person #3?????

As has been explained by others, the Japanese whaling industry is a sham. Yet we Americans keep buying their products and visiting their country and spending our money there.

Even worse abusers is Indonesia. National Geographic magazine recently did an article on Indonesia's horrendous abuse of animals. I couldn't finish the article it was so awful.

#3 if you don't like animals, that is your privilege, but don't trash those of us who do and are willing to become more humane.

j

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I am gald some smelly hippies got their first bath. Video clearly shows they started the fight, the japanese finished it. Thats what you morons get for playing russian roulette with the big boys. What the Japanese are doing is perfectly legal. The smelly hippies are eco terrorists. Their captain is a liar also, claiming the Japenese rammed them, just like they tried to shoot him last year. One down, a few more to go.

j

You can clearly see the little boat sitting still, you can also see the big boat does not change course. When the big boat gets closer, the little boats drives right in front of them. This idiot captain in charge of this sea $#itheads fleet is a dangerous egomaniac who is sooner or later going to be responsible for the death of one or a few of his fellow morons. I also love the voice of the stoner filming the crash woow......woooow.....woooow. Did he hit them? Lay off the pipe.

Matt

Looks like their boat got sprayed and neutered

j

#30. That would be hard for you to do being a self admitted smelly hippie. Hippies typically do not have money, which this would cost a lot of. Second, it would be hard considering all you do besides not showering, is sit in your mom's basement playing video games and smoking pot all day while "trying to change the world."

rich

TMZ WHY DO U NEED TO LIE TO GET A SOTRY READ?

I KNOW YOU GUYS ARENT DOING AS WELL ANYMORE BUT NOW YOUR MAKING UP STORIES

The Bob Barker ship had ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS INCIDENT.

BUT TMZ has a head line saying thast the Bob Barker ship has SUNK.. They want to be first so yesturday they show the new ship and today they make it seem like they are first to report it sunk.
SOMEONE SHOULD LOSE THIER JOB OVER THIS

radduc

To bad There boat didn't totally sink. They got what they deserved!!

jennjenn

These Japanes Whalers are Nuts! I can't believe they hit the small ship head on. I was reading on the Sea Shepherd blog that the Japanese ship did not even recognize the Ady Gil's May Day call. The Bob Barker is the ship that rescued the crew of the Ady Gil. The Ady Gil was their "go fast" boat to intercept the harpoon vessels from the factory ship. I guess the intercept was successful. Just because people are pro animal rights or conservationists does not make them "hippies" I am a convervative and the furthest thing from a "hippie" that sits in my parents basement all day, however I am pro animal rights.
#31..I ask you, What are you doing to "save the world?"

Burn Cleveland, burn!

Whales might eat some normal people but not hippies. Hippies stink too much.

Burn Cleveland, burn!

I'm eating veal and fois gras tonight, lobster tomorrow night. If you listen carefully you can hear the lobster scream as you boil it. Good stuff.

Ali

I am not a hippie. I grew up in a rainforest and spent most of my life there. I am in tune with nature. People saying stupid things against the defenders of the ocean and the planet are just plain ignorant. Open your eyes, open your heart! Animals, the forests, are all being destroyed for money. Maybe the problem is that you live in a modern society far removed from mother nature. Mark my words, tsunamis, hurricanes, earthquakes are coming. Self realize before you die. That's the only thing you can take with you. How conscious you became in this lifetime!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments