KFC Ad -- OK for Australia, Racist for US?

1/6/2010 2:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Placating a crowd of black people with a bucket of chicken is considered good marketing by Kentucky Fried Chicken in Australia -- but it's causing a bit of a fervor here in the States.

The ad shows a very distressed white guy, surrounded by a crowd of black people at a cricket match, who wonders, "Need a tip when you're stuck in an awkward situation?" He gets out of the "awkward situation" by handing them a bucket of chicken.

A rep for KFC Australia told a local paper, "It is a light-hearted reference to the West Indian cricket team ... The ad was reproduced online in the US without KFC's permission, where we are told a culturally-based stereotype exists, leading to the incorrect assertion of racism."

UPDATE -- We just got this statement: "KFC Australia is removing the television advertisement that was being run in conjunction with the Australian cricket season. We apologize for any misinterpretation of the ad as it was not meant to offend anyone."

Wyatt

If this same "is this ad racist?" poll was on an Australian website it would be 100% No 0% Yes.

This ad is not aimed at American audiences. Get over it already!

I also think comparing West Indians to African American is totally racist and ignorant too. Shame on you America!

Sig

Yeah, he is wearing a different colored team shirt than anyone around him. Think he just got tics in the other team's side seating section. I mean how would a met feel in the dodger's section. THAT would be awkward LOL

Christy

West Indies does not = African American. Cricket players and fans understand the humor in the ad, which is the reason it wasn't intended for a US audience. Please get out and experience other countries and cultures. Not every country in this world makes EVERYTHING a racial issue like the US does. I'm an American and my husband is Australian. If you ever step outside the US fishbowl, I promise you see this country and the rest of the world a LOT differently. Try it.

Brian

HILARIOUS!! Now if he had a watermelon under his arm, that might have been a bit much....

SD

It's awkward because he's wearing yellow and they are all wearing red....like a Dodgers fan sitting in the middle of a crowd of Yankees fans....I don't think they intended this to be racist.

n,sk

Yes cricket is very racist! Why are they dancing? Why is he sitting there like a bafoon? Yes if you travel and get "cultured" then you can experience racism first hand...it's hoolarious!!
But all jokes aside, this commercial seem stupid to me because I don't get it and my question is not even about the chicken it's...WHY IS THIS AN AWKWARD MOMENT FOR HIM, he chose to sit amongst a bunch of blacks with a bucket of chicken in his lap???...I just don't get it!

Sono

I don't have speakers on my work pc, so i'm sorry if this is way off base...but it kind of looked like that guy offered the black people a bucket of fried chicken in order to get them to calm down and/or be quiet so he could enjoy the cricket match he was trying to watch while they ate the fried chicken.

ARTOFWAR

Black people love chicken.
White people love to invade countries.

To each his own.....Artofwar

Fiona

Im an Aussie that lives in Canada. Only when I moved to Canada did I learn the stereotype of Black Americans eating chicken. Most Aussies don't know that stereotype. Your culture is not ours. Nor are you West Indian Black Americans. Guess what.. the world doesn't revolve around America. Answer me this yanks. Who is Kevin Rudd? Gough Whitlam? Bud Tingwell? John Farnham? Sara-Marie? What is the capital of Australia? Exactly.

dolliny

Meh... don't open your trap when you haven't a clue what you're talking about. That's like saying all Canadians live in igloos and all Americans are ignorant. Enough with the stereotypes and assumptions! Get over yourself and get travelling.

Jo Nisha

I think this commercial is stupid in Australia and stupid in the U.S. Maybe it's just me but I don't get it. I don't get how the white dude was stuck in an awkward situation. Seemed like the crowd of black people were not causing a scene they were just having fun at a sporting event. If being the minority in a group is awkward then I live a 24/7 awkward existence. And quite frankly, the commercial is racist and if non-Black people don't get it then you never will. Was the commercial light-hearted? Yes. Did it appear mean-spirited? No. Was it racist? YES!! The idea that you can placate a group of black people with chicken is RACIST!! I don't think white people would think it was very funny if there were commercials that popped up that prompted white men to buy penis growth enhancements or white women to buy butt implants or collagen. Just like Asian people wouldn't care for commercials geared towards them to take classes at a driving school.

Tiger Sucks

Get over it. Black people eat chicken. News at 11.

Randall

it's not untrue that blacks really love chicken on average (white people like it too obviously). we had a popeye's franchise recently not partake in a corporate advertised special and they had so many angry customers around the building that the news had to cover it and every single one of the customers complaining and being interviewed was black. is it only unfair when white people point out or use this in satire? black people joke about it all the time so why can't white people poke fun? it's a two way street. i see white people being stereotyped and made fun of in black comedy all the time so we have to be reasonable about this. at the end of the day if this had been a popcorn or hamburger commercial no one would be complaining. unless you can reasonably prove it was a deliberate attempt to make a derogatory joke it's just people whining to whine.

StuntMom

Racist? Because he's wearing a green shirt and everyone else is wearing red? I thought that's what the awkwardness was, he sat on the wrong team side. Like the only Yankees fan sitting in a Red Sox section.

Atl

Why does everyone have a problem if none of the black people in the commercial have a problem shooting the ad.....