NBC to Conan O'Brien -- The Choice Is Yours

1/8/2010 9:25 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

NBC has given Conan O'Brien the option to either do his show from midnight to 1 or leave the network, sources tell TMZ.

Conan Obrien and Jay Leno

As TMZ first reported, after the Olympics, Jay Leno will get his 11:30 PM time period back. We're told network execs have told Conan they will let him decide if he wants the midnight to 1:00 AM time slot. If he does, Leno's show will only be a half hour. If Conan walks, Leno will get a full hour, informed sources tell TMZ.

Our sources say Conan has not decided what he wants. We do know he's pissed, because he was given no advanced warning this was coming. Conan's people told NBC they are considering the offer. Translation: Mr. O'Brien -- I have Rupert Murdoch on line one, Stephen McPherson on line two, John Landgraf on line three, Jeff Wachtel on line four ...

We're told if Conan gets another offer, even though NBC could block the move, they will let him go and give Leno the full hour.

jay leno click to watch:Stay tuned ...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

NorthTXGirl

I was flipping past the channels late morning and had a brilliant idea. Man, I wish I had Conan's agent's number!!!

Have you ever seen Martha Stewart and Conan O'Brian together???? It is comedy gold. I mean, the two of them doing projects together cracked me up! They have great on-screen chemistry.

den

Conan is absolutely revolting. Makes my skin crawl. A WANKER of the highest order. But worst of all, just NOT funny. I would rather make faces in my own mirror than watch that jerk make his stupid faces between commercial breaks. Even Andy Richter isn't laughing. Get a job as a gaseous weiner you dooooshbaag. Fart jokes are about the best you have to offer.

ronald glicksman

I do not think Conan could hold a candle to Leno in the first place,I watched his show and I stopped watching and went to Letterman would be interesting to know how many people DVRed or taped Leno and watched later in the evening

Jessica

NBC and Jay Leno had did the wrong thing... why would jay leno want an earlier time in the first place and now go back to the same time he was before?? that's ashame and he ain't got no game or class at all. SHAME ON YOU JAY LENO and NBC! hope you guys lose so many viewers. And really Conan was a better show to watch he was hilarious and funnier than Leno!

tara

Hey Josh Butcher, Craig Ferguson is the one who was beating Conan in the ratings BEFORE he moved to the Tonight Show.

Gabriel

Every one seems to be on Conan's side but where was that support in the ratings when it could have made a difference. He lost a significant amount of the original Leno audience and many of the Many Conan fans never or rarely saw him on his new time slot. The one who got shafted was Leno because they gave the show to Conan years ago because he started complaining like a baby when Jay got his extension. I find it funny that Conan says he didn't have enough time to build a fan base. Didn't you have over a decade on Late Night to do that?

Paula

NBC SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER THAN PUT LENO IN PRIME TIME & THERE WAS NO WAY CONAN COULD HAVE THE RATINGS LENO HAD. CONAN IS NOT FUNNY & SHOULD NOT EVEN HAVE HIS OWN SHOW. I DO REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO JOHNNY CARSON & LENO. THAT WASN'T A FAIR DEAL BUT LENO'S SHOW IS A LATE NIGHT SHOW & THE BEST ONE ON. LETTERMAN IS A HYPOCRIT AFTER THE REMARKS HE HAS MADE ABOUT TIGER WOODS. PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULD NOT THROW STONES. I WILL WATCH LENO BUT CERTAINLY NOT CONAN NO MATTER WHERE HE ENDS UP.

Marilyn

Conan got the shaft big time. He up rooted his family and his band members and their families for what? So that whinny little bitch Leno gets his way.
Leno knew what he was getting into when he started his new show and where does Leno get off just because his show flopped. Stop whinning and go home and leave Conan alone. As long as I live I will never watch the tonight show unless Conan is hosting. Poor Conan got back stabbed in the worst way and now stupid NBC is trying to block him from taking another network (FOX). They can't do that unless they have a NON COMPETE CLAUSE in Conan's contract which apparently they do not have but are trying to create one? How ridiculous is that? I could go on and on but I think I have said my point. I am for TEAM CONAN!!! ALL THE WAY.

Simone

First!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jdee

poor Conan got the shaft

Simone

The question is: WHO CARES???????? I don't, for sure!!!!!

Black Barbie

NBC is being very gracious, but Conan should have been shown the door a while ago. Give Jay and hour and give Conan a "going away" party!

Erina

You're kidding me right? After the whole switch-a-roo, why the heck would NBC consider getting rid of Conan? Leno sucks...

excretive producer

The shaft will be brought to Conan in living color on NBC.

Jumm geen

POOR Conan. Are his ratings that low. I used to like Jay but why did he leave and then do the exact same show and hour and a half earlier and call it a different show. It was exactly the same and now poor Conan, who's a super nice guy, if gettin screwed.
PS I still Hate that Arrogant leftist hypocrit Letterman