Leno and NBC Strike 1 Hour 'Tonight' Deal

1/14/2010 10:43 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jay Leno has made a new deal with NBC, which gives him "The Tonight Show" from 11:35 - 12:35 ... sources tell TMZ.

As we first reported, under the contract Jay had been working under, he was guaranteed the 10 PM hour. By moving him to 11:35, NBC was in breach of his contract and needed to negotiate a new deal. That is now done, sources tell TMZ.

So Conan O'Brien is out, and Jay is restored.

Jay Leno pictures

Joe

Jay Leno has never been funny. The man can't TELL a joke, let alone be funny on his own. Conan's better. I watch Jay's earlier show (with my 91-year-old mother-in-law...his target demo?) who can't stand him - or his inane skits - either. Whether Jay's a "nice guy" isn't the issue. He's JUST NOT FUNNY. Perhaps Dane Cook and Kathy Griffin can be his nightly guests. That way, ONE WMD can solve all our problems.

jeff

if this isint just bull its going to make my life so much better GO JAY YOUR #1

DJ

The best thing they (CoCo and the chin) could have done was both of them walking away from NBC. With Leno going back, the backlash will be large but unfortunately, short lived. The public has limited memory. Just wondering who (guest wise) won’t go near the Tonight Show after this.. Bet Letterman is laughing his a$$ off about this. Conan should have looked at what happened back them before agreeing to any deal with NBC.

Jennifer

Leno Is old news! I hate that Conan might be out the door. Leno should keep his old ass doing shows in Vegas so people who care about seeing him still have the opportunity and the rest of us can breath without Jay Leno being shoved down our throats all the time.

Larry928

I have always been a Leno fan, and I will continue to watch him at 11:35pm. To me, the real villain is NBC. I'm not sure why some people at ragging on Jay???? He and Conan are both victims.

Linda

Happy that Jay is back...Conan sent a classy letter the other day and then has become totally obnoxious every night since bashing NBC and Jay Leno. Hope he isn't going to do that every night that he is still on. Everyone that is coming to conan's side now, are the same people that posted that they wouldn't watch him if NBC put him on instead of Jay Leno.....Conan is nice but not funny. So happy that Jay is back. I think his biggest problem at 10 was that people forgot he was on.

I.Burns

I LOVE Jay! I am glad he is coming back I'll watch him at 10pm or 11:35 too bad for Conan.

sarah

yesss i can now go back to watching nbc at 11:35, instead watching letterman. love jay leno

Moonbeam

I believe Nick Seapoint #705 got it right as to what happened in his outline.

As Nick also said, Jay has a wider appeal, especially with the older, suburban and/or rural audiences, especially midwest, I would think. Letterman and Conan appeal to a younger, "edgier" audience, but most probably big city people. Conan and Letterman both have loyal viewers, but those viewers simply don't make up most of the more sedate population and never will. It's just a matter of numbers.

Also remember that Jay has personal star appeal, and plays well to his live Las Vegas audiences. I don't know if Letterman or Conan, as smart and talented as they are, have ever tested their stand-up comedy strength in a forum like Vegas.

Victor Gunsalus

NBC simply suks. Morons for Executives.

nick vatterott

Victor Gunsalus

Jay Leno....GIVE US A BREAK. GET LOST!

TAP

As much as I like Jay Leno, I hate to say it, but after this last week of bashing and disrespect, I think Jay needs to respectful bow-out and leave NBC with some dignity. Let NBC deal with the fall-out. If he goes back to late night, I feel his ratings will not be what they use to be. Jay can move on. He doesn't need NBC. Save your self-respect and image!

Grant

This is the fault of NBC,not Jay.They should have let him retire & than use Conan.I knew 10p wouldn't work.Conan was much better where
he was.Conan should have taken 12a,he may regret that for a long time to come.ABC doesn't want him & FOX won't give him much money.
If he goes to FOX it won't last,he will be cancelled.

JaySucks

Jay Leno can burn in HELL! Hope karma comes back to his fat ass in the form of a tragic car accident!!

Previous 15 Comments | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments