'Deadliest Catch' Guy Suffers Stroke

1/30/2010 11:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Phil HarrisPhil Harris -- captain of the Cornelia Marie on "Deadliest Catch" -- suffered a stroke and is currently hospitalized, a Discovery rep tells us.

A spokesman for the show tells TMZ, "Phil Harris suffered a stroke while in port off-loading from the F/V Cornelia Marie. He has been transported to a medical facility and is receiving the best care possible. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and we will make more information available as we know it."

Phil has been captain of the Cornelia Marie for 18 years, according to the Discovery website, where his two sons serve as deckhands.

Mari

I am so sorry to hear the news. I will be praying for him. My best to his family.

Rah-Rah

No surprise. He smokes like a chimney, never eats well, and hardly rests while at sea.

Still he's one of the bravest and hardest working captains of the Pacific Northwest.

We wish you very speedy and full recovery.

fifi

Thank God he was in port when this happend! My thoughts & prayers are with the entire Cornelia Marie family!

THE CHILDREN ARE NOT BEING PROPERLY SUPERVISED...PERIOD!

I love this show, did he stop smoking, good luck to him and his family.

Steve

Note to Sig Hansen:
Before you go through 5 more packs of Marlboro's today you might want to read this story and all the comments.

Stephanie

Get well soon, Phil. Prayers coming your way!

Terri

Captain Phil is my favorite captain. He's in my prayers as is his family. We love you Phil

Wanda W.

Oh please,like we couldn't see that one coming ! He always looked like this side of death anyway !

disturbed

Yes, it is a good thing he was in port when this happened. That was lucky.

Get well soon, Captain Phil.

I always wondered why he didn't stop with the fishing, since he's getting older now and conditions are harsh in the northwest sea.
I was thinking maybe he can do something on land.

Robin from WA State

So sorry to hear this i wondering if something like this would happen I hope he gets better soon he will be missed

Nicole

I love Phil...I hope you are well soon. Take a long break buddy and take care of you.

hummingbird

Very sad but not surprising. Once again tmz is ahead of the curve. I often see news here first. I've checked all the local newspapers and none have this news yet.

DOODAD

Honestly, I am surprised he is still alive.
He looked like walking death on the show.

Bob

Now this guy is one of my working class hero's. I don't know if you have ever seen this show but it is a real reality show. The work they do is almost mythically dangerous. Phil, is one tough captain. He has had a heart problem but he just keeps working because it's all he knows to do. He and the sea are one. God bless him.

John

People making commits about his smoking are jokes...

The job he did has more of a risk of dieing than his smoking ever will.

Godspeed... I hope you get well soon.