Brittany Murphy Death - 'Preventable'

2/4/2010 3:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany Murphy's Cause of DeathSources involved in Brittany Murphy's autopsy tell TMZ her death was "preventable."

Sources say the primary causes of Murphy's death were pneumonia and severe anemia. L.A. County Coroner officials believe Brittany's condition was "treatable" but no one took her to the hospital in time.

As for the multiple drugs found in her system, we're told they were both prescription, including medicine for cramps, and over-the-counter medications, including cough syrup. Our sources say the drugs "pushed her over the line" but the underlying problems were the pneumonia and anemia.

In other words, Brittany was really sick, didn't get treatment and by self-medicating it pushed her over the line.

Brittany Murphy

rsm

She was taking multiple prescrip drugs under many diff names. I am very close with someone who actually cut her off and reported her prescrip drug issues- Brittany just moved on to a diff pharmacy. She filled them under her name, her Mom's name, her friends names and her sister's name.

This tragedy would have been avoided.

Bess

Here's why everyone is bashing the husband:

1. Simon Monjack refused an autopsy of his otherwise healthy 30-something-year-old wife.

2. Mr. Monjack then goes on a press tour claiming Ms. Murphy only took medicine for "that time of the month." Seriously, what grown man words it like that?

3. To further prove his innocence, Monjack threatens to file a lawsuit against Warner Bros. and Happy Feet 2, claiming Murphy died because she was stressed they dropped her from the film. Warner Bros. never agreed to have Ms. Murphy be involved in Happy Feet 2.

4. In her honor, Monjack planned to host a benefit celebrating Murphy's life. Coincidentally he also planned to sell tickets for $1,000 per person, or $5,000 per group. After some backlash, the event was canceled "due to an illness in the family."

Sounds like Simon is a Monjackass.

Anonymous

Los Angeles Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter confirms that there will be no criminal charges in the death of Brittany Murphy. He also reveals that not only was Murphy's death preventable, but that she already had an appointment to see a doctor within the same week she passed away.

Sherry

I have been anemic all my life and require iron injections. I am probably about 5 pounds overweight so it doesnt automatic mean the weight has anything to do with it. Some peoples bone marrow does not make enough red blood cells. My symptoms ranged from breathlessness on exertion and passing out. She may have expected the difficulty breathing with her anemia.

Writer

Nicole DeHuff, who played Teri Polo's younger sister in "Meet the Parents," died of pneumonia at age 30 in 2005. Her death was also preventable, but she went to the hospital twice and they misdiagnosed her and she ultimately died due them figuring out too late that she had pneumonia. She also died in Los Angeles.

So as you can see, actors going to the hospital won't necessarily save them either. Shame on the ones who misdiagnosed her.

Voice of Reason

So sad how hateful people are being towards her family! You don't even know them! Aren't YOU thankful your business is out there for everyone to read and judge! Simon, when I saw pictures of you and Brittany together, you two made me think of my husband and i. he is a big guy and we are madly in love! That's what i feel when i see you and her together! I even thought that the two of you resemble eachother in the face! You were a lovely couple. Sharon, I can't even imagine your loss, and I am so sorry for everyone that are saying such evil things. Bless you!

~But as we all know, not a word passes our lips that the Lord doesn't know. We will all answer for the things we say and do people! There is still time! Turn away from these evil ways and turn to God!

Ellie

I am confused a bit myself. I thought Brittany Murphy seen a doctor and was told she had laringitis. Explain to me how no one is upset with the doctor who diagnosed Brittany. how come her husband did not notice how sick his wife was?? I say something is up.

Apalled

I watched some of Larry King's interview with Brittany's mother and husband. I must say they aren't "the brightest bulbs on the tree." B. told her mom that she was dying. Hello there!!!! B. must have had extreme chest congestion. Any person with at least a 5th grade education can read OTC cold med bottles and determine the difference between "quiets coughs" and "decongestants." That's one problem with OTC meds - it assumes the buyer has at least an average intelligence.
Also, they stated that Brittany weighed 115 lbs. There is no way she weighed that much.
Any normally functioning adult, let alone two people who supposedly loved her, would have have bundled B. in the car and gotten her to a doctor way before the day she died. I don't know whether adult family members can be charged with medical neglect when they allow a usually fully functioning adult family member die but there is something wrong with this picture.

Paula

The husband seems to be a controlling ass, just watch him on Larry
King, excuse me Mr. Simon, I think her mother can speak for herself!!
Did you see how he correct/interrupt her as she would try to speak? Maybe the coroner should interview them separately. Not certain why this wasn't done anyway. TMZ seems to investigate better then they do.
I feel so sorry for her mom, hopes she gets away from the control
FREAK!!

Tralalala

Neither anemia nor pneumonia cause a person to die while lying in copious amounts of their own vomit. That is how a drug addict dies when they overdose. Brittany overdosed. Plain and simple. The anemia was likely due to malnutrition because addicts are notorious for not nourishing themselves the way they should, plus the Hollywood skinny thing. The pneumonia is likely from insufflating a drug or crushed up pill. It happens quite often. Pills are not sterile and often have contaminants on them from the current user or from before the script was filled. Pills go through many hands before they are ultimately consumed. Snort a bacteria or virus laden pill or multiple pills and a body that already has a weakened immune system while easily develop an infection in the lungs. Untreated this infection can develop into bacterial pneumonia. I don't mean to say this is definitely what happened to BM but it is my guess. The husband didn't push her to get treatment because her painkillers often mask symptoms of severe illness and I suspect he is also a pill popper. Maybe Mom is too. If either one of them was also abusing drugs, prescription, OTC or street drugs, they likely won't notice another persons distress. Add that to the fact that addicts do anything they can to protect their addiction and keep their drug of choice at hand. If BM or a co-dependent perceived that a dr's trip or ER visit could result in an intervention for one or both of them, they won't want to go.

Kaytype1

I hate to judge but something is so wrong with her death. I watched Larry King and Simon constantly interrupts Sharon and speaks for her. She says it was having trouble breathing and went outside then says it was about an hour before she called 911..Simon tells her she "has forgot time" that Brittany ran from outside to the bathroom and collapsed. Then Sharon says she was sitting in the bathroom with Brittany when she collapsed and fell out of a chair...neither one mentions the vomit. It makes no sense to me!! If she ran straight to the bathroom and fell to the floor when did she do all the vomiting??
Did anyone watch Larry King and notice this as well.
Seems like something is very wrong here?? Anyone else think so??

Maggie

I love how so many people are disagreeing with the coroner and deciding her husband is responsible. I have seen nothing that makes me think he is anything other than the man she knew him to be. Her husband that loves her. The little "list" above that says that he's guilty because he didn't want her autopsied? So what? My mother didn't want my father cut open either. It's a common request!
He loved her and they couldn't force her to go to the doctor. She had an upcoming appt. So shut up and let her family grieve in peace.

IGNORE the TROLLS

... really good points, Tra. I was thinking the same thing about Britt not wanting to see a REAL LIVE doc (as opposed to calling a dial a doc where She got Her Rx's). She didn't want to go, and Sharon didn't want Her to go either, because THEN Britt's addictions would be apparent and an intervention would had to have taken place. But neither Britt or Sharon wanted to chance that. BTW... at Enty Lawyer's blog, a poster named "Himmmmmmm" posted an interesting comment there re: Britt's drugging and WH0REing HerSelf "up" @ the Chateau Marmont in 2004. Can you 'SAY' *"speedball"*? READ *IT*.

IGNORE the TROLLS

... *you MAGGOT SHILL for SKUM-jackalA$$*.

...*that* said. KAYKAY you make some great points too. Basically they're CONCOCTING STORIES. The first report TO THE LAPD (mind you) was that Britt was in the bathroom ALONE after showing signs of dizziness and trouble walking. How odd, because at the "premiere" for *that 'HALL' flick* weeks earlier, She COULD'NT WALK by HerSelf there EITHER. She had an "handler" assist Her in walking. The report also said She went into the bathroom around 7:30AM and did not come out. By 8AM Sharon noticed something was wrong and went in to check on Her and saw Her unconscious on the floor... NOT IN THE SHOWER but on the floor. Then She called for *SKUMjackalimey* to call 911 (via cell phone?) then *he* came into the bathroom and "decided" to PUT Britt in the shower and run the water over Her. Supposedly that is the key to what actually occurred- junkies often put an OD-ing fellow junkie in the shower and run the cold water over them, in hopes the cold water will cause a rush of adrenaline in the OD'er which may revive them.

MsParker

10. Can anemia be a sign of anorexia?
Posted at 12:52PM on Feb 4th 2010 by MNgirl

It sure can be 1 sign.
She was too skinny and taking strong medication, was this too much for her weakened, already sick and starved out body? She was a good actress , was she acting in front of her husband and mum as well? Hiding her health problems?
Wasn't she old enough to contact a physician herself earlier?
Unfortunately, she has not taken good care of herself. One of so many sad stories from Hollywood.
Had she survived the fatal day if she had been 20 pounds heavier?