Brittany Murphy Foundation Returns Donations

2/15/2010 4:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The Brittany Murphy Foundation has re-opened its website after TMZ's story this weekend -- and promises to give back all the donations people made while it figures out that whole "we weren't really a charity" thing.

Brittany Murphy

TMZ broke the story that the foundation -- run by Brittany Murphy's husband, Simon Monjack and mother, Sharon Murphy -- hadn't filed the necessary documents to qualify as a charity or nonprofit group. As soon as we called the foundation for comment, the website immediately shut down.

But late Sunday the website resurfaced with a message: It would return all the donations "until we have our non-profit status approved before proceeding to insure that we can truly honor Brittany's charitable desires."

The website is no longer taking donations and now holds itself out as a private foundation which awaits 501(c)3 non-profit status.

Remembering Brittany Murphy

LILLL

And Simon claims to have a 185 IQ! Good going smartie pants! Can't seem to make a right move can you? Well, get over it! WE HATE YOU1

ray ray

My balls taste like my toes

LILLL

SIMON IS AN EASY GUY TO HATE

brenda

The fear of "Simon?..IRS on live three!..." probably played a part in the mind change.
I still won't give em any $$$.

LILLL

Good job TMZ! If you hadn't followed up on thid they'd still be pocketing our money!

TMZ_Keep on this story!!!There is more to be revealed....

j

Why did Britt sign her house over to Simon and Simon alone in 08? It is time to stop giving both Sharon and Simon the grieving her loss card.If they are opening their mouths you better check the facts. Make your own op-ion from the exclusive articles and shows transcripts below. It does not take a sherlock Holmes to know their lying about the morning of her death. Not sure about TMZs other stories but they got Simon and prescription Mary down cold.

oh by the way,

I did know them as a couple and mommy script dearest personally

tmz:

Law enforcement sources tell us Murphy collapsed in the bathroom and somehow ended up in the shower ... there was, we're told, a significant amount of vomit in the immediate area.

us quoting tmz:

The notes state Murphy "had been complaining of shortness of breath and severe abdominal pain" for 7 to 10 days prior to her death.
Around 7:30 a.m. Sunday, she went into the bathroom of her Hollywood Hills home and shut the door, according to the notes.
A half hour later Murphy's mother, Sharon, went to check on her daughter, opened the bathroom door and "discovered the descedent lying on the floor unresponsive," the notes read.
See Brittany Murphy's most unforgettable roles
According to the notes, Sharon yelled for help. Murphy's husband, British screenwriter Simon Monjack, who was in bed, ran to the bathroom.
The notes reveal that Sharon called 911 and Monjack "attempted to revive the descedent by placing her in the shower and running the water." But Murphy "remained unresponsive and purged her stomach contents prior to the arrival of the paramedics," according to the notes

FIRST PUBLISHED: December 21, 2009 5:28 PM EST

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Just one day after the death of Brittany Murphy, her husband Simon Monjack has spoken out exclusively to Access Hollywood about the untimely loss of his wife....... As far as what happened inside the actress’ home early Sunday, when Murphy was found unresponsive in the shower, Monjack said up to that point, it had just been “a regular day.”
“[Her mother] Sharon went into the bathroom because she had been in there a long time. Her mom screamed for me and I ran. Then called 911,” he revealed.
As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, Los Angeles Fire Department responded to a 911 call from the home at 8 AM on Sunday and eventually transported Murphy to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. She was pronounced dead at the facility at 10:04

exclusive daily beast:

Monjack described for the first time the morning that Brittany died in his Hollywood Hills house. She had gone to the bathroom shortly before 8 a.m. “That was her comfort zone in our very huge home,” he says. “It was the only Brittany-size room.” There was a small table, and she often spent hours there. When her mother went to talk to her, she found her laying on the floor unconscious, and yelled out for Simon.

this is larry king fri quote:

“What happened that day (she died) was Brittany had laryngitis. I have no idea what to do with laryngitis. I’m a rabbi, not a doctor, so I pray instead of prescribe. So I asked Sharon to come down. We’d been talking, anyway, half the night… We were planning to move to New York, have a baby… We were talking about baby names.
“I asked Sharon to come down and Sharon came down. Brittany, for the first time, was almost fighting for air. Her eyes were not right. They were darting off left, right and center.
“That morning she woke up (and) she couldn’t breathe. She went out to get some air. Sharon followed her out. I’ll say this, because I know you (Sharon) can’t. She said, ‘Mom, I’m dying. I love you.’”
Murphy’s mum Sharon adds, “From when she collapsed, I was with her in the bathroom. And I was sitting across from her with her little puppy, Clara. And she said, ‘Mommy, please hug me.’ And I went to get up and she just collapsed like right there

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/14/brittany-murphy-foundation-simon-monjack-irs-charitable-charity-children/#comments#ixzz0fZpCoBkD

sick of it

Ed - Typical White people trying trying to get a free ride? While I don't agree with what they did and find them to be scam artists using someone who has passed - I find your comment offensive. Not all white people try to get a "free ride" as you so nicely said. Does EVERYONE have to bring race/color into these "news stories"? I mean, seriously?

karma

I will get them the benefit of the doubt. I hate accusing people of such things when they are grieving. People cannot say Simon and her mother were not devastated are the loss of Britney.
(Too often in the highest society, it seems that many a person appears to be making a very nice living off of running a charity. Too bad the needy don't receive much in the end, due to executive "costs". Hopefully, the same was not occurring here.)

marky spark

Her husband is turning out to be quite the as$hole, huh? And her mother is in on it too? How Hollywood!

Heath

Your FRAUDation didnt work did it? What is with her Mother standing by this man?

Go for TMZ for doing some research...this guy needs to crawl back under his rock and leave her memory alone!

ralph

All praise, honor, and glory be unto the Internal Revenue Service. For it is its infinite wisdom that determines who may be exempted from federal taxation.

Without the blessed mercy of the IRS agent, there would be no soup kitchens, no public hospitals, no beauty pageants, no churches, and no private universities. It is truly the IRS that makes America the wonderful land that we are.

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask the IRS agent how much you can pay in tax this year.

Miss1234

Poor girl, poor girl's memory. This stinks of Simon Monjack's desperation to capitalize on his wife's death and memory. I'm sure her mom is in complete and total denial about Monjack's true nature - I suppose if she were really to look at it closely, she'd have to face how she didn't protect her daughter from him.

No one just "starts" a charitable foundation. You just don't. Mr. Monjack was reputed to be a scam artist in England, and I have no doubt that leopard is not changing his stripes.

bigdumbgod

She was a good girl who is but the latest on a compulsive scam artist's list. And he's got the mother in on it. Such class!

JLS

This family has been through an awful lot not the least of which is having the media hound them 24/7 with the worst of accusations! I believe they meant to file it as a non-profit but they've had a full plate, period. All this toxic evil imagining the worst is really becoming irresponsible. Stop looking for a fire in the rain.

You Can Do Better

I saw this the minute he was claiming "negligence" in her death! How sad and disgusting to bring her life to this? Simon should skulk back underneath the last rock he crawled out from!Money-grubber!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments