The 'Lost' Diary -- The Substitute

2/17/2010 10:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

LostDaniel from TMZ here, welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

You know that bar game where you have to stare at two pictures and touch the screen whenever you spot a difference? I think that's what this season of "Lost" is like. One minute you're yelling "Hey, Desmond isn't supposed to be on the plane" and the next week you're screaming "Claire's sonogram says October but it's supposed to be September!" What will we spot this week?

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I swore to myself I was going to watch "Lost" at a different place each week, but every other place is far and Ari lives five blocks away. So here we are. Let's roll.

9:00 -- I avoided promos and commercials all week, so the fact the "Previously on 'Lost'" section is Not Locke heavy has me very excited.

9:01 -- Don't tell John Locke he can't get out of a van! OK, maybe he can't, but still -- just don't tell him.

9:02 -- My jaw could not have dropped any further when I saw Helen. Is it possible alternate John Locke is ... *gasp* ... happy?

9:03 -- "And your dad ..." -- Helen. OK, now this is getting weird.

9:04 -- "Maybe it's destiny." -- Helen. Not gonna lie, we're four minutes in and it's getting a little dusty already. Locke-themed episodes never disappoint. (*knocking on wood)

9:05 -- Smokie Cam is making me a little nauseous.

9:06 -- "Alright, Richard. Time to talk." -- Not Locke

9:08 -- I love when even two-bit characters from three seasons ago show up again. How fast did the agent for "Randy" agree to do a cameo?

9:09 -- So apparently Locke "stole" his trip to Australia from his company. Not sure how he ever thought he'd get away with that one.

9:10 -- Richard just asked Not Locke what he meant when he said Locke was "a candidate." Is that the first time Richard asked someone else a question? Usually he's the man with all the answers.

9:11 -- "Come with me and I promise I'll tell you everything." Not Locke to Richard. That feels more like a Ben circa season four line. And who was the little Children of the Corn kid supposed to be?

9:12 -- Ben has had his testicles in Not Locke's purse so far this season, so watching him lie to Ilana is a step in the right direction toward getting them back.

9:13 -- If you could turn into a pillar of black smoke and fly around everywhere, would you ever walk?

9:18 -- "Here's to being dead." -- Sawyer

9:19 -- "What if I told you I was the person who could answer the most important question in the world?" -- Not Locke. Is someone finally going to tell us why Libby was in the mental institution?

9:22 -- Hurley and Locke just had their little meeting and ... dammit it's getting dusty in here again!

9:23 -- I want to get the inevitable Jin/Sun reunion out of the way soon. We all know it's coming, it's going to be great ... let's just do it already.

9:24 -- Now Not Locke is chasing the Children of the Corn threw the woods. Again, why wouldn't you just turn into smoke and chase the kid down? Not Locke is totally under-utilizing the whole Black Smoke Monster thing.

9:25 -- "Don't tell me what I can't do." -- Not Locke. Never gets old.

9:26 -- "Don't tell me what I can't do!" -- Not Locke. See? Never gets old. Oh, I am working under the assumption the Children of the Corn kid is Young Jacob till I am proven wrong.

9:29 -- Richard's warning was pretty concise, well-argued, and all around convincing -- but Sawyer is sticking with Not Locke because it makes for better television.

9:30 -- Locke wants to speak with the temp lady's "supervisor." Has to be someone we know, right? Juliet? Libby?

9:31 -- ROSE!!!!!!

9:31 -- OH NO!!! Rose still has cancer!!! There is no God!!!!

9:32 -- "A little after my time." -- Not Locke. There's a phrase you never hear.

9:33 -- As I am basking in the greatness of Terry O'Quinn, I can't help but think that odds are we will finish this episode, the third of the season, and only seen Desmond for like a minute. That better get corrected next week.

9:38 -- Sun, Ilana, Ben and Lawnmower Man are burying Locke. Ben is about to give his last words. Should be good ...

9:39 -- "He was a much better man than I'll ever be ... and I'm very sorry I murdered him." -- Ben. I just told Ari that when I die, he has to give that eulogy word for word.

9:40 -- Locke tries to call Jack, but gets cold feet.

9:43 -- Locke is explaining to Helen about getting denied on his walkabout.

9:44 -- "There are miracles, John. And the only thing I was waiting for ... was you." -- Helen

9:45 -- Not Locke starts climbing down the ladder and Sawyer follows shortly behind. Man you never would have gotten me to do that.

9:46 -- After a rejected scene from the movie "Cliffhanger," Sawyer and Not Locke make their way to some kind of cave.

9:47 -- "Inside joke." -- Not Locke. Throwing the light stone into the river, leaving the dark one behind.

9:48 -- So everyone's names are scratched into the ceiling? Interesting.

9:53 -- Locke as a high school science teacher -- I buy it.

9:54 -- I know that voice ...

9:55 -- "Ben Linus, European History." -- Ben

9:56 -- Jacob's list?

9:57 -- "Jacob had a thing for numbers." -- Not Locke. And not just any numbers ...

9:59 -- "Are you ready to go home?" -- Not Locke

10:00 -- "Hell yes." -- Sawyer, who is now Team Not Locke

One of my favorite things about "Lost" is that the show is "good" in different ways to different people. Depending on a lot of different factors -- who the flashbacks focus on, how many answers are given, whether or not Kate is soaking wet -- can influence your opinion of the show.

There have been plenty of times I have given an episode a high grade and been called crazy (or vice versa). Even though we all love the show, we all see different things in it and get our enjoyment different ways.

That being said, I woke up this morning (or rather was woken up by a text message. Thanks, Steven -- it's becoming a weekly tradition) and found myself texting, IMing and calling people to find out whether or not I was crazy.

"Last night's episode was awesome, right?"

I take my grades of "Lost" very seriously -- like a high school substitute science teacher. So, that all being said ... I give tonight's episode an A-.

I think if you love "Lost" when it's giving you a non-mythology story, you loved Locke's off-island scenes. If you love "Lost" to try and figure out WTF is going on, you loved Not Locke's scenes. To me, it was the perfect combination of everything I love about "Lost."

Doesn't hurt that I love Locke.

I am going to throw out a question here that I am not sure the answer of. Well, I am like 90% sure the answer is "no" -- but I am keeping drifting more and more towards "maybe" as I think about it. Here goes"

Are we sure -- like 100%, lock it down, no doubt about it sure -- the Man in Black/Smokie/Not Locke is really the bad guy here? Just asking.

DaJuice

WTF???

TMZ's Been Hanging with Mischa...

MoulinRouge

With Lost...is there anything we can be 100% sure about?! Please.

christina

i think you might be right... that maybe jacob is the bad guy.
oh and do u think it means anything that kate and claires names are not on the roof? oh and i thought it was weird when helen said "your dad" i mean his dad pushed him out the window..maybe he was hurt some other way?

PamKY

Csn someone explain how it is a Flashsideways if the plane landing in LA is in 2004 and the people are on the island in 2007?

Liz

After last nights episode I found myself thinking I was on "Not Locke's" side.... only time will tell!

DeeGee

I'm on the fence whether Not-Locke is good or bad. I'm certain he is the Black player, Jacob is the white player. And going back to season 1, Locke told Walt in the game of Backgammon there is only two players - black & white. Claires baby Aaron is really baby Jacob reincarnated. And i'm guessing everyone moved forward in time to 2010, which would make Claires kid 6 years old & would match up to last nights new kid(Jacob).
To win backgammon you have to get all your pieces(oceanic 6) off the board(island). So who will be on Team Jacob & who will be team Not-Locke. One side lives/one side dies. Thats my theory so far.

Jamie

Loved it! Terry O'Quinn is the absolute BEST!

S8nT NJ 172

Check out the flight number oceanic 8:15
8= hurley
15= sawyer

they will have some serious significance.

the island is definately purgatory.
also read bible passages 8:15 each book. they are highly interseting in relation to the show.

i've only started watching but I think i'm just odd enough to put strange pieces together.

i get the man with no name is the devil or the brother of Jacob in the bible Esual or something. Jacob stole his birthright or some mumbojumbo. he's mad. purgatory. making right decisions of the past. show of mercy. all these things made for a great show. i'm rambling. at work i'm out. pz

Deb

Was Kate's name on the wall? I know Jacob met her as a child, but I don't remember Not Locke and Sawyer seeing her name.

Mellisa

I am not 100% sure that Not Locke is the bad guy. I initially was, but, finding out that even Richard was following Jacob without knowing why shook my conviction just a bit.

I totally agree with you on the grade, it was a great episode. I have some issues with certain things like, Helen and the 'your dad' comment (ie how did john get in the wheelchair then) type stuff but, that only brings on the migraines. I shall watch and see as always. I LOVE your diaries, they are something I look forward to each week and have for a long time.

Do you watch the Lost Untangled shorts on abc.com? You should, they are hysterical! If you can find the ones from last season I would check them out as well.

See you next week Daniel!

Mellisa

TO DEEGEE

OMG What a GREAT catch on the backgammon thing!!!!!!! And I kind of thought the children of the corn kid/jacob/aaron were linked too.

The backgammon thing is brilliant tho, and is a great point. Well done! I earned my Lost Guessers Badge last season when I called Not Locke as being the smoke monster/guy on the beach. I said it during the last episode of season 5, my husband argued with me. I should have made a bet on it!

sonia

I've been wondering for some time now if Jacob might be the bad guy. One thing I keep thinking about is that Jacob relates to white (white shirt; Not-Locke throws the white stone into the water; Christian (who is aligned with Jacob) sporting those white shoes... And the other guy, Not-Locke now, relates to dark (dark shirt when he was talking to Jacob on the beach, leaving the black stone alone while throwing the white one in the water, black smoke pillar... Normally we would associate white with good and black with evil, but on the island things seem to be opposite, or at least the same but transposed. Like in Alice in Wonderland when Alice goes through the looking glass.

steve

If Not-Locke is the good guy, why did he have Richard in chains?? or maybe he AND Richard were in chains together because of Jacob.
The little boy could definitely be Claire's son, i don't think the boy is Jacob because he said "you can't kill him." Jacob doesn't talk in the third person.
Whoever Not-Locke and Jacob are, they seem to be able to move from body to body when needed (as seen when Jacob and the other guy are sitting on the beach watching the old-style sailing ship come towards the island--- other guy to Jacob "do you know how bad i want to kill you?" during this scene it's obvious that Jacob & friend have been on the island for a LONG time, running some kind of experiment with humans.

Kean

I'm not so sure if he is the bad guy. Backgammon has been mentioned a few times in the show to represent 2 sides of a game. Neither is good or evil. Just different players.

steve

actually, NOTHING is obvious on the island!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments