Andrew Koenig's Dad: He Took His Own Life

2/25/2010 9:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An emotional Walter Koenig -- father of "Growing Pains" actor Andrew Koenig -- just said his son, who had been missing since February 14, took his own life.

Andrew Koenig: Click to view
During Walter's brief statement, he had a message for those who may find themselves in the same emotional state as his son, saying, "What you can learn from this ... is that there are people out there who really, really care."

Walter continued, saying, "Before you make that final decision ... talk to somebody."

Once the Koenigs were finished speaking, a police spokesperson said Andrew's body was found today in Stanley Park in Vancouver. The spokesperson said they are not releasing Andrew's cause of death yet due to the sensitivity of situation.

Felicia

Celebrity or not. He was someones son. Someones friend. He mattered to people. It's so unfortunate that he made the decision he did. Depression really is a life altering disease that so many people really have no education on.

You can see the pain in his parents for this great loss of their child. I really do feel for them and for Andrew.
The Koenig's gave a very brave statement in such a difficult time. They're also correct...when you're feeling like there are no other options...reach out. Talk to someone. Know that there are people out there that care and love you.

So sad.

Have no shame

@Nof...I agree. When Larry said he had no idea why his parents left, I figured they were too distraught to talk. Then to hear that he continued to bump them for this Sea World story, that is just ridiculous. Not to sound insensitive, but the woman was already dead. We had no idea if Andrew was dead already. His parents should have been given time at the top of the show to plea for there sons return. That Sea World story had been running for half of the day, and now ALL day on CNN. We've heard enough about it as far as I'm concerned. RIP to Andrew...but killing yourself is not the way.

mel

UpstateNYer

Thoughts and prayers go out to Andrew's family. What a horrible thing to have to endure.

Please people - for those thinking that things are so dark that there is no way out.... there is nothing so bad that cannot be fixed or overcome with time and the love of those who care for you. Seek help!

RIP Andrew.

jessica

To post #3. I hope u never have someone u love suffer from depression. Hope nobody ever tells u ur child ,sibling or parent is a nobody. You suck M. Myers. Such a douch.

gutsygirl

Kriss

You restore my faith in humanity after reading the insensitivity for human life on here. Thank you.

Scroomy

Hating all you negative nellies. Go over to another site that worships death. Just wait til your time is up. Kharma is a bitch losers!!!!!!

mel

F-OFF!!88. Exactly as expected.

Boner is limp.

Posted at 9:45PM on Feb 25th 2010 by RonBurgundy

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/25/live-andrew-koenig-news-conference-web/6#comments#ixzz0gbfNPVR7

edge70

Prayers? Kharma? Uggitty-Duboogitty.

RonBurgundy

84. How sad for that family!! I too tried suicied FOUR TIMES!! Depression is a SERIOUS ILLNESS!! PLEASE seek help,there are many people who love you & care about you!! I just saw Andrews dad and it almost brought me to tears!! Children should NOT go first!! Prayers for that wonderful family!! yours truly-Mel

Posted at 9:38PM on Feb 25th 2010 by melissa

4 times? What went wrong? Try harder maybe? Begging for someone to give a rats ass about you that you have to try and off yourself 4 times and then proclaiming it as some sort of trophy is pathetic.
4 times? What a desperate plea for acceptance all the while torturing everyone around you...Suicide is cowardly and selfish, but to each his own. 4 times...lol

I had him hanging from a pine tree the day he was reported missing, this allows closure for me.

KELC

This is just so very sad-R.I.P

Enough Already

I feel sorry for his family. I wish Andrew would have learned on God for strength. Child actor have a had time adjusting. They need more support.

Robyn

This makes me really upset. Another person from my childhood gone too soon. He was so funny on Growing Pains. You know he did a good job on the show because everyone who watched it remembers him very well. I pray for Andrew, his family, and his friends. RIP

Kathie!

A lot of ignorant people visit this site. A man lost his life to mental illness. He was not a nobody. He was a son, grandson, a friend, probably a brother etc.
This is tragic. The family was begging the public for help and now that they know Andrew's fate, they are asking for privacy. Sounds reasonable to me. They have thanked the public and it's outpouring of love. What else do you want from this family that has lost a son?! let them grieve privately...everyone else gets to.
Obviously there is a long way to go in Educating people on Mental illness. Sad.
Stanley Park is a beautiful park.

Manny

Boner is such a coward and loser piece of garbage. Suicide is the selfish way out. No respect for those who off themselves with no regard to their family.