Gabourey Sidibe -- Beauty Comes in All Sizes

3/16/2010 10:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gabourey Sidibe -- Beauty Comes in All SizesGabourey Sidibe might have a weight problem, but it doesn't mean she's unhealthy ... this according to the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA). Yes, that's a real group.

As we first reported, a weight loss company is reaching out to the Oscar-nominated "Precious" star in an effort to help her lose weight and get healthy.

But according to a spokeswoman for NAAFA, being heavy doesn't always mean being unhealthy. Peggy Howell tells TMZ, "You cannot tell by looking at a person if they are healthy. Fat does not equal disease and thin does not equal healthy."

Howell also said NAAFA does not encourage people to get fat or stay fat and reminded us, "Achievements come in all sizes."

Gabourey Sidibe Pics

maddi ives

yeah maybe some big people are healthy,but i hate to be mean but she is too big. that cant be healthy

Ununoctium

she supposedly weighs between 350 and 400 lbs. Big boned my ass. What's after morbidly obese?

Why is her weight our business? Are you paying her dr bills? A lot of weight is genetic. I am not so thin, but exercise daily and try to eat healthy. I know that my genes fight against my being thin. Let her be!

Lucca

She is not chubby,a little heavy, or big boned...she is morbidly obese. Its not healthy and its certainly not attractive. I like the name Gaflabby, it suits her. Watching her waddle along, flabby arms wobbling, piggy eyes hidden in fat, legs quivering under all that weight... makes me ill. She is delusional if she really likes herself like that. What does her mother look like? Is there a father around? What kind of family would allow such self destructive behavior?

David

lol at people defending her claiming shes healthy. Fat is like 10,15,20lbs overweight. Granted a person wouldn't look overweight if the fat is distributed evenly throughout the body but thats rare. But hey I guess people are right, She's not "fat"..She's obese and I highly highly doubt if doctors were to run normal test such as blood pressure,Insulin levels,etc they would all come back bad. The more weight you have the harder it is for your heart to pump blood, Fat will close down arteries,etc. In fact I will literally bet my manhood this girl is declared by a doctor that she is healthy. If he/she says that, I'll chop it off.

Millie

Right, a bunch of retarded fatties says being fat is just wonderful. I am sure there is a group around called Alcoholics Enormous that says being drunk all the time is really healthy, too! Gaflabby is sick, being that obese is sick and unhealthy and just plain wrong. Where was her family when she got like this, does she have parents? Gaflabby is repulsive and needs to get herself to diet camp and lose a few hundred pounds as well as some of that arrogance and self-delusion that she carries around.

Aby

I'm an overweight person, so yeah, Fat (obese) does equal unhealthy no matter what. I love her acting but, she should really consider a healthy living style.

Durelle

At her weight, she is very highly disposed, to diabetes, heart disease and stroke. Gastric bypass surgery is not a bad idea for someone her size.

Karen

She is an excellent candidate for bariatric surgery - in particular, a gastric sleeve. I want to cry when I see her - trapped inside obesity and even if she doesn't have any of the obesity related diseases (type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart disease, even infertility - - she is well on her way). Morbid obesity is NOT healthy. There are 15 different disease processes linked to morbid obesity. Not to mention it's effect on longevity and quality of life. I speak from experience. Not only do I work in bariatric medicine, I'm a successful patient of 10 years having lost in excess of #150 lbs. My high blood pressure and T2D COMPLETELY resolved within 2 weeks of surgery with very little weight loss. The chances of her losing ALL of her excess body weight and ***KEEPING IT OFF, LONG TERM *** is less than 5%. Not to mention the psychological burden of being morbidly obese. Gabourey - GET HELP NOW! YOU CAN DO THIS! The surgery is a TOOL and you MUST do the work. Morbid obesity is NOT sexy nor is it healthy.

Seriously?!

Look people, it's one thing to be 15-20 lbs. overweight, but Gabby is MORBIDLY OBESE!! Being Morbidly Obese is NOT HEALTHY!! Being that big puts a major strain on the heart. I understand that people can be very cruel about big people (just look at some of the comments here) BUT most people are making good, valid points.

Sad sad

I agree with this "Fat does not equal disease and thin does not equal healthy." but being obese is not healthy at all.

VinDog

Come on people, this gal is huge!
That is unhealthy. How can it ever be healthy if you are so fat that you can not physically see all the normal body parts that a healthyer sized person can?
I feel unhealthy for carrying an extra 40 pounds, imagine what it must feel like carrying, what probably an extra 150 pounds?

Aly

While I agree that being a little overweight doesn't mean unhealthy by default, being as seriously obese as this young lady is, IS unhealthy and it's silly to say otherwise. I don't mind if she wants to stay the size she is, and she shouldn't change for anyone but herself, but to say that being that big is not unhealthy is just ignorant.

two cents

Lipstick on a pig. She is NOT healthy, she's obese and she will die an early death. Personally, I'm sick of seeing her everywhere, she's repuslive. She's over 350 lbs easy. That's just gross. I just have to wonder how she can bend over and reach all her nooks, crannies, and rolls to clean herself. That's a LOT of flour needed for that wet spot. Disgusting.

lynn

I'm about 50 lbs overweight and just had a physical. All my test results were rated as excellent by my doctor. I live a very active lifestyle. Fat doesn't mean unhealthy.