Dixie Carter Dies

4/10/2010 5:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Carter -- best known for her role on the television show "Designing Women" -- passed away Saturday morning at the age of 70.

Her husband, Hal Holbrook, told "Entertainment Tonight, "This has been a terrible blow to our family ... We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy. Thank you."

Carter played Julia Sugarbaker on "Designing Women" from 1986-1993. She earned an Emmy nomination in 2007 for her guest stint on "Desperate Housewives."

She is survived by her two daughters, Mary Dixie and Ginna.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

bring back recent posts

AWWWW...may she rest in peace now...btw...tmz..ummmm..please bring back recent posts!

JJ

Rest Her Soul.

Good actress.

bring back recent posts

Yes N.O. Lady, Dixie was a great actress, I didn't even know she was ill, that is very sad and a terrible pain we all go thru, may her family find comfort in knowing her pain has ended, god bless them!

justsaying

R.I.P

bring back recent posts

Does anyone know what she suffered from or was this " unexpected or unexpected complication" just curious, btw don't like this new format tmz, grrrr

bring back recent posts

ok, I paid my respects, please don't anyone holler, this is kind of neat gettin instant message..but..what if u log on say a hr from now, u hv to go thur all this stuff..ewwie..we need best of both worlds,poor Hal and his daughters, been there done that, terrible!!

TINA

Was it suicide?? I don't recall hearing that she was ill. Strange that Hal would say its a "private family tragedy" - that doesn't seem like she was ill.

bring back recent posts

JANDEAN..shame on you! leave Betty alone, she is awesome and in great health, god bless her. BTW ..Tina and Justin r on SNL tonite, sorry again about the loss of Dixie, we should b so lucky to not know what hit us, unfortunately , seems most suffer..grr

tuna marie

designing women was a great show,
dixie will be missed

beLIEve

r.i.p. dixie

stan

Proud2bBlack

R.I.P you brought my family & I many greats moments of laughter. May your family find strength to endure this loss of their loved one.

Janet

She was too young to die.

eurekagold

oh no! how awful! i really liked her. i bet the greedy studio execs will finally release all the designing women seasons out on DVD now and try to cash in, f'ers! Julia Sugerbakers was my favorite female character on a TV series. I'll miss her!

Chris

R I.P Dixie I always enjoyed watching her in everything she was in, she was a great LADY!. My prayeers to her family

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments