Dixie Carter Dies

4/10/2010 5:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dixie Carter -- best known for her role on the television show "Designing Women" -- passed away Saturday morning at the age of 70.

Her husband, Hal Holbrook, told "Entertainment Tonight, "This has been a terrible blow to our family ... We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy. Thank you."

Carter played Julia Sugarbaker on "Designing Women" from 1986-1993. She earned an Emmy nomination in 2007 for her guest stint on "Desperate Housewives."

She is survived by her two daughters, Mary Dixie and Ginna.

Nette

Dixie Carter was a great Southern Lady. She established The Dixie - Performing Arts Center in Huntingdon, Tn in 2005 - enriching the lives of those in West Tennessee. She was from McLemorsville - a few minutes from Huntingdon. My husband works at the Dixie and we had no idea she was sick. We were later told that she passed away from Cancer - what kind we are unsure. We are so saddened - she was truly a talent. Just Tuesday she was to be honored in Jackson, Tennessee with the Sterling Award - 20 most influential women in West Tennessee along with my boss. God Bless her family. So sad!

Criss

R.I.P.
I wonder what the cause of death was

" Yeah I have to say BRING BACK RECENT POSTS TMZ. It's a pain to have to go all the way through to the end."
^^^^this!

Tiffany

What did the Carter lady die of??

Nette

She died of cancer while in a cancer treatment center I believe at M.D. Anderson in Texas.

Michael

Dixie - you will be missed. A CLASS act all the way in everything she did.

Michelle

I loved Dixie Carter. On Designing Women, Dixie's character Julia Sugarbaker could not have been played by anyone but her. Dixie had class and brought it to her character, Julia. Dixie, I sure will miss you...

bring back recent posts

No WillO...it suxs

Nikki

So very sad. Dixie Carter has always reminded me of my mom, who fell and broke her neck last week. Mom is showing that "Julia Sugarbaker" spirit and recovering incredibly well. Tough blow to their family and to me personally.

Truth

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST. THAT'S WHAT FREDDIE MERCURY MEANT. HMM, NOW I GET IT.

Jasmine

JANDEAN61 it's a good thing you can hide your ignorant ass behind a monitor because if I could, I would like punch your ass into next year. Go to hell for saying crap like that you prick. If there is truth in a divine power, let's hope you are the one that's next only you will be going with Lucifer.

RIP Dixie Carter. Another gone to soon. :(

Diana

48. Am I the only one here that thinks this "New & Improved" TMZ Comments System SUCKS TO HIGH HEAVENS??????????????????????????

I may just start posting on RadarOnline.com

Posted at 9:23 PM on Apr 10, 2010 by WillOTheWisp
-------------------------------------------------------

No, you're definitely not the only one! This new "improved" version sucks! Half the time it won't even post a message or send an activation link to my email.

tucker

A beautiful, talented and classy lady. May she rest in peace and may her wonderful husband and daughters remember her with love and joyful memories.

Atlpeach

Fabulous actress and an even more fabulous human being. What a shocking loss. I wonder what happened...it must have been sudden and unexpected. She still seemed so young and vibrant when she was on Desperate Housewives.

Those of us in Atlanta will always love and remember her as the badass Julia Sugarbaker.

Sad, sad, sad.

Sammy

I Remember Dixie Carter years ago when she played on the soap opera THE Edge Of Night.RIP

miki

A terrific lady, married to a superb gentleman. They made such a classic couple, onscreen and off.
Condolences to Hal, Dixie's daughters and family.
R.I.P., Dixie.