Bret Michaels -- Stabilized

4/24/2010 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0423_brett_michaels_EX_TMZ_01Bret Michaels is awake, in good spirits and talking ... TMZ has learned.

Ambre Lake, the Season 2 winner of "Rock of Love," tells TMZ she's spoken with people who are close to Bret who say he's stabilized and conscious.

Lake's tale matches another contestant who has also spoken with Bret's bandmates.

We're told the next 24 to 48 hours are critical -- Bret will be closely monitored.

NotJustAnotherName

Sux 2BU dude, ha-ha!!LOL

Criss

Hoping for the best for the guy. He's to young to go and espescially leave his daughters without their dad.

Christina

Best wishes and prayers go out to Bret. He's went through a lot these past few weeks.

Nasty

I can guarantee with this type of injury he is NOT "awake, in good spirits". Most do not survive this and if they do they are in a vegetative state.

I really like him this is just so sad.

pray for him

JLS

You can do it, Bret. I will keep you in my prayers but I know you can and will get better. God bless you!

K.D.

Thank God. Get better Bret. We all love you! Stay strong ~

debbie

I hope that Michael beats the odds, my prayers are truley with you. I will pray before I goto bed that God will see fit to have you on this earth a little bit longer! Not for a Fan but for your family...Take great care.

Klick

Dude! I had a stroke 33 days ago, I am 54, and in excellent health, overall. The doctors are amazed at my recovery. They expected little. Even my neurologist is impressed! It's attitude, man! God Bless, Bret! ken klick

Sparkle

My thoughts and prayers are with Bret and his family. To the people making nasty comments, would you please go away and get a life. Bret needs all our positive thoughts. He will get through this. Love you Bret!

marymac

Glad to hear he's stabilized, good luck Brett~

gina

Bret, you are in my prayers. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

tishMJfan

I like Bret and like his show I only watched season 1 with Heather but I hope all is well with him..really I do....

amy derby

brett so many love you not for just your music, but for a warm down to earth loving beautiful heart. Im praying for you,. get better your daughters need you. your fans too. Amy

Karin

My husband is 41 and a diabetic and had two strokes already and he is still fighting and trying to lead a healthy life. I think Bret is awesome and he's got a great heart even though he's unsure of what he wants... he knows he wants to live and has so much more to give to this world. I'm glad he's a fighter.

Sparkle

Love and best wishes to Bret.