Bret Michaels -- 'Setback' in Recovery Process

4/27/2010 7:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0423_brett_michaels_BN_TMZ_03Bret Michaels' reps confirm that the rocker suffered a "setback" in his recovery from a brain hemorrhage -- and he may now be at risk for seizures.

According to Bret's people -- test results show Bret is experiencing hyponatremia, a side effect from the subarachnoid hemorrhage which is caused by a lack of sodium in the body. The condition can often lead to seizures.

But despite the setback, doctors are still hopeful Bret will gradually improve, "as the blood surrounding the brain dissolves and is reabsorbed into his system, which can be a very painful recovery and take several weeks to months."

Bret's reps also report that the rocker "remains under 24-hour observation in the ICU and is in positive spirits. He is responding well to tests and treatments."

Bret was first hospitalized for the hemorrhage last Thursday night after complaining of a massive headache.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

JLS

I feel SO BAD for him. I am just going to keep him in my prayers and cling to hope he gets better.

JLS

lorac

Bummer

Mica G

This is such good news!! I can't imagine what a roller coaster his family is on!! I am si happy to hear that hi spirits are good. God is amazing!!

Fibb

Nobody puts Bret Michaels in a Coffin.....

Me

Who gives a ****?

AnnieSH

Oh thank goodness he's still with us. I have been checking all the time, praying I wouldn't see, "Bret Michaels had died."

He is such a strong-willed man and a good one as well. My thoughts are with him and his family.

bring back recent posts

awwwww..poor guy!..the worst part is..the codeine and morphine he needs for his excruciating pain also brings this condition on..geez..well...he is in the right place..age on his side..

fastdriver

I hope his condition improves with each passing day. I don't know much about him, but he seems to be one of the "saner" people in Hollywood. I don't read many negative things about him in TMZ. I'm sure that if he was anything like the other 99% in Hollywood, we would see a lot more "gossip" about him on TMZ.

Here's hoping for the best for you.

Ziggy

It's hard to see someone so young going through that. Hope that they are able to find the source of the bleeding soon. The longer he stays in critical condition, the harder it's going to be to get him back to normal. Hopefully he's not in too much pain with all this.

Cheryl A.

Bret Michaels is in my prayers and has been since I first heard the news. God Bless you Bret and get well soon.

Glenda

I don't like this. I've grown to like him on Celebrity Apprentice. I couldn't take him of Rock of Love. But I do like him better on CA. I wish him a full recovery. Bless you Bret.

SupAStaR

**** All you Bret Haters Wait til Something Bad Happen 2 Your Punk Asses And Your Families in reference to "Me"What a Queer!Grow Up Skid Kid!God Bless!Bret Michaels!Get Well!

Santa

Come on people.........nobody cares! What a homo anyway.

Santa