The 'Lost' Diary -- The Candidate

5/5/2010 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

I IMed my old college roommate Chris on Tuesday morning to ask what he was thinking going into "Lost" tonight. "I need at least one death," he told me. I responded, "Yeah, it's been awhile … it's hard to be 'Lost' w/o killing off a few people. This isn't '30 Rock.'" Haven't had any major RIPs in a while. Are we due for one? (Ed.'s note: Yes, this was an actual conversation and yes, this was written before the episode).

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I am over at Ari's place for a Lakers/"Lost" double feature. Lakers did their job, now it's time for "Lost." Let's roll ...

9:00 -- On the DVR, the first three seconds of "Lost" were the end of "Dancing With the Stars." It was the worst three seconds of "Lost" ever.

9:01 -- "I think you're a candidate." -- Jack

9:02 -- "Welcome to Hydra Island." -- Sayid. Not to be confused with Fantasy Island, Shutter Island or MILF Island

9:03 -- Sawyer, Kate, Jin, Sun, Lawnmower Man, Claire and Hurley have been put in the bear cage "for their own good." For once, I want to do something someone's "own good." Actually, by this time next week, I will. Check back in a week.

9:07 -- Is it me or is Bernard a tad creepy?

9:10 -- Not Locke has an interesting strategy to try and get Jack to help him -- by reminding him that, if he wanted, he could easily kill everyone. Scary, true, and effective.

9:11 -- "Feels like we're running circles, back in these cages?" -- Sawyer. Yes, yes it does.

9:12 -- Another Sun/Jin reunion scene that just doesn't do anything for me. In this scene, they have about as much chemistry as me and Larry King.

9:13 -- I get super duper excited lately whenever I know the Smoke Monster is about to attack. Not sure what that says about me.

9:14 -- Do you think Jack ran alongside the Smoke Monster? Did the Smoke Monster carry him like on a magic carpet ride? Did Jack actually see Not Locke turn into the Smoke Monster? These are the things I think about.

9:19 -- The whole gang is almost back together, heading to the plane. Wonder what Desmond is up to? Is he still in that well?

9:20 -- Jack is trying to see Anthony Cooper and he runs into Helen. This seems like as good time as any to mention that Katey Segal, who is awesome in her small parts on "Lost," absolutely steals the show on "Sons of Anarchy." Highly recommend.

9:21 -- Doesn't look like ol' Anthony is doing too well.

9:22 -- Not Locke/Jason Bourne just killed two guys and now he's aboard the plane.

9:23 -- Seems the whole plane was wired with C4. Hate when that happens.

9:24 -- Not Locke wants to take the submarine now. I still don't like the submarine plan.

9:25 -- Sawyer wants Jack to get Not Locke in the water and he will "take care of the rest." This I gotta see.

9:30 -- "Push the button … I wish you had believed me." -- Locke

9:31 -- Claire is at the hospital to see Jack, and she has a music box with her.

9:32 -- "Oceanic Flight 815?" -- Jack

9:33 -- Operation Steal the Sub is underway.

9:34 -- And it's really, really easy.

9:35 -- Jack just tossed Locke into the water and Kate got shot. I am surprisingly happy about the latter.

9:36 -- Not Locke is finally out of the water and gunning down Widmore's people. Meanwhile, all the candidates are on the sub. Just saying …

9:37 -- "Trust me, you don't want to be on that sub." -- Not Locke. Ruh-roh!

9:38 --  Is that a shirt in my backpack? Nope, it's a ticking bomb.

9:39 -- "Locke … we did exactly what he wanted." -- Jack

9:43 -- Sayid is trying to play Hurt Locker with the bomb Locke left behind. Does anyone really think the bomb is going to go off and kill half the cast?

9:44 -- "We are going to be okay. You just have to trust me." -- Jack. I have done a complete 180 on Jack. He's been my favorite character of the past few weeks.

9:45 -- Let's discuss what just happened. Sawyer grabbed the wires, which did nothing but make the bomb mad. Sayid told Jack where to find Desmond, told he was the one (like Neo), then ran with the bomb, where it blew up. Here's my question -- would the bomb have gone off if Sawyer never touched it? I think not.

9:46 -- Everyone is scrambling. Hurley is helping Kate … while Jack, Jin and Sawyer are helping Sun. Um, I think I'd rather Sun right now.

9:47 -- Actually, things don't look good for anyone right now.

9:52 -- I have nothing good to say about the last five minutes.

9:56 -- Locke is being discharged from the hospital, seemingly as if nothing has changed.

9:57 -- Locke is in the wheelchair because he was in a plane crash -- he was flying, and his dad was a passenger.

9:58 -- "What happened, happened." -- Jack

9:59 -- "To finish what I started." -- Not Locke

There's a good possibility that I am completely wrong about everything I am about to write. And I fully expect everyone to hate me for this. That being said …

Sayid died. Jin died. Sun died.

Guess what? I don't care.

Not one bit.

Didn't react. Didn't say a word. Didn't blink.

Do you know why I don't care? Because "Lost" has made it impossible for me to care about what happens.

I'll explain.

Right now we have the island, and we have the flash-sideways. I don't quite know what they have to do with each other or which one is "real."

But if I apply some kind of logic -- which is never a good idea with "Lost" -- then one of them has to prevail in the end, right? Can they both be "real"? When the show ends, Oceanic 815 either crashed or it didn't.

So that being said, that means until I know what is going on, how can I care what happens in either timeline?

When I said before the episode that I needed someone to die, I didn't realize how nothing could be further from the truth. Nothing of any actual consequence had happened on the island this season (save for maybe Juliet's death) so I didn't know how little I would care.

Sayid is dead. Jin is dead. Sun is dead. And yet, next week, when the flash-sideways kick in … they'll be alive and well.

They're dead on the island, but not off it.

So I ask you again … why should I care about what happens in either timeline?

I'm skipping the grade this week. Doesn't feel right.

Lost on Lost

Season Finale: JJ Abrams direct addresses the camera and says, "Here's the inside scoop on how we made Lost! We had two different writing teams with two different directors who threw their scripts into a Magic Bullet that would only produce a cohesive storyline if Desmond pressed the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16 23, and 42."

Allen

I recognized the actor playing Anthony Cooper as soon as I saw him, Kevin Tighe, who was co-star on the early 1970's show Emergency. He played a fireman/paramedic, who was always rescuing people. So could the Anthony Cooper character still play a role in rescuing the Oceanic 815 passengers?

Btw, I do not believe Widmore had C4 planted on the plane, as Not Locke already had the bomb plan in mind when he took the wrist watch off of the dead guard to be the timer, and in the plane simply took wires to make the bomb, he already had the C4 in his own backpack.

emcmn

Love reading your column each week! I totally agree with you about the deaths on this episode. I felt nothing - how can that be? I thought the way Jin & Sun died was totally lame as well. After all they've been through, she gets stuck and they both drown???

FlamingoNut

I cried like a baby during the Jin/Sun drowning scene. While I can't understand why Sun didn't demand that Jin survive for their child, I did understand him saying "I will not leave you again". It was a major improvement from their "reunion" scene, which was so lackluster that it left me speechless.

It now makes a bit more sense why Detective Ford can't find Anthony Cooper...

coco chanel

I as well felt no emotion when everyone bit the bullet last night. I felt like this was another filler episode and that the writers just dont care anymore. And Jin did sound very funny speaking english in the sub scenes. I have know idea what sayid was babbling about before he took the bomb and ran with it. The Anthony Cooper part made no sense, guess Sawyer can stop looking for him now. The jewlery box for clair made no sense either, I just think they like the song. And what the hell happend to Desomond, Ben and Miles? Is Lapedis dead or not? And what kinda junk are they going to add to the extra half hour (2 1/2 total) for the finale?

MichaelJacksonISDead

**** THIS ***GOT

DOESNT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE WRITING ABOUT

DONT WATCH THE LAST EPISODES, YOU DONT DESERVE TO WATCH THEM YOU ****

kim

best party of Lost these days .. are these Lost Diarys .. only a few more hours and i will happily not think about this once great show ever again.

isabel

WTF dude!!! Best episode ever.You just suck : {

uhHuh

this show has become a disappointment, I don't care anymore either.

whoever screwed up a good thing (2yrs ago) should never be allowed to work in hollywood again.
This show had everything going for it, good actors & a good start until the writers got LOST and screwed everything up. Not to mention, I could concievE A baby & birth it before the next season would start up, I've already forgotten where the last season ended when the new one starts.
WHAT A SHAME.
THESE WRITERS SUCK!!!! I feel sorry for the cast, you guys did really good.

I LOVE YOU SAWYER.

coco chanel

Im glad they shot Kate, just wish they would have killed her off instead of Sun. I think the writers ran out of ideas, cuz guess who gets a gun to her head AGAIN...Kate!! How many other tmz'ers would rather have seen Kate die rather than Sun? It sounds like Daniel (the person who writes this blog) is all for Kate being dead. What about you??????????

John

Have any of you considered that Not Locke & Widmore might actually be working together?

Diana

HELP - am confused please! I thought before Claire was "held hostage' kind of by Kate and then went in the hospital to have Aaron while Kate hid in the hospital - now she is at Jack's father's will reading and giving him a box last night - what did I miss here? Please clue me in on this- thank you!

Elle

I have a question. Where's Miles?

loulie01

Lack of emotion??? What??? All you guys are not true fans. Last nights episode was awesome.. It was very emotional. But I don't think Gin is dead, he is one of the chosen. It's going to be a sad ending to a great series.

Make it stop

When Locke was in the hospital mumbling about pushing the buttom my 1st thought was....please don't be like St Elsewhere (at least I think that's what show it was when it was all a litle autistic boys imagination in a snow globe) and all be a dream of Locke's while he's been in a coma. Can't wait to see where they are going with this!