The 'Lost' Diary -- What They Died For

5/19/2010 4:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0519_lost_1Welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

As we get close to the end, I've been thinking a lot about what I've always said is the difference between "The Wire" and "The Sopranos" -- confidence vs. arrogance. For "Lost" to -- in its second to last episode -- do an entire hour without any of its many characters appearing in the episode … well, to quote Alec Baldwin, takes brass balls. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are either the most masterful storytellers of our time … or giant a-holes. I'm not sure if there is an in-between.

Either way, this is the last episode before the finale. Time flies. Let's roll …

9:00 -- During the "Previously on Lost" segment -- where they show Jin and Sun dying -- I was hoping ABC would edit in a line from either one of them about their soon-to-be orphaned child. Nope, didn't happen.

9:01 -- The gash on Jack's neck makes him look like Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia."

9:02 -- According the musical score, we are watching an emotional scene between Jack, his son, and Claire.

9:03 -- Kate brings up the fact that Jin and Sun had a kid (bout time someone did) while Jack sews up her bullet wound. I wonder if Sawyer feels guilty about what happened or if he thinks it wasn't his fault?

9:06 -- Judging by the blank stare he's got going on now, I'd say Sawyer does actually feel guilty.

9:07 -- One minute there's a parking lot full of people, as Mr. Locke returns to school, and the next Desmond can beat Ben senseless and no one sees a thing. But he flashed, so mission accomplished.

9:08 -- "I lived in these houses 30 years before you did, otherwise known as last week." -- Miles. Good to see the Ben/Miles/Richard contingent back. Off the top of my head, I'd say Miles has to make the list of Top 10 Most Underutilized Characters in TV History list.

9:09 -- "Thank you, Richard." -- Ben

9:10 -- It's been so long, I kinda forgot -- Ben used to have some sort of control over the Black Smoke Monster.

9:11 -- "May I come in?" -- Widmore

9:16 -- Seems Jacob summoned Widmore to the island, which makes Ben a tad jealous.

9:17 -- "While he was beating me, I think I … saw something." -- Ben

9:18 -- "The man told me he wasn't trying to hurt you, he was trying to get you to let go. And for some reason … I believed him." -- Ben

9:19 -- Desmond turned himself in to the police for running over Locke and beating up Ben. Not quite how I would have played it, but then again …

9:20 -- … how else was he supposed to get to Kate and Sayid?

9:21 -- "I killed them, didn't I?" -- Sawyer. Yes, yes you did.

9:22 -- Little Jacob is back and he wants the ashes Hurley took from Ilana.

9:23 -- "You should get your friends. We're very close to the end, Hugo." -- Jacob

9:27 -- Ben is staging a last stand, Richard is kind of on board, and MIles is getting ready to run away through the jungle. Minor prediction: Miles doesn't live to see the finale.

9:28 -- Um, what I meant to say is that Richard doesn't make it to the finale. Hang on a second while I edit that last entry.

9:29 -- "Just the man I was looking for." -- Not Locke

9:30 -- Old school Ben Linus -- selling out Charles Widmore to Not Locke. Good to see he got his balls back from Jacob's purse. It's a satchel!

9:31 -- I knew Rousseau was gonna be there and yet … damn it, when it did get so dusty in here?

9:32 -- Rousseau might be the only woman on the show who looks better off the island than on it.

9:33 -- "Sorry Charles." -- Ben. RIP Zoe.

9:34 -- "Soon this will all be over. I'll get what I want and I'll finally leave this island. And when I do, the first thing I am going to do … is kill your daughter, Penny." -- Not Locke.

9:35 -- "He doesn't get to save his daughter." -- Ben. RIP Widmore.

9:36 -- "I want to know that Sun and Jin and Sayid didn't die for nothing." -- Kate. Apparently Kate didn't read the guide info -- the episode is called "What They Died For." Just be patient Kate, we're gonna find out in the next 24 minutes.

9:37 -- "Come and sit down and I'll tell you what they died for." -- Jacob. See???

9:43 -- "What if all this … maybe this happening for a reason. Maybe you're supposed to fix me." -- Locke

9:44 -- "I want to fix you, Mr. Locke. But I think you're mistaking coincidence for fate." -- Jack

9:45 -- Jacob is trying to explain to everyone what he did and why he brought them to the island. Not sure there's enough time to explain all that.

9:46 -- "I chose you because you were like me. You were all alone. You were all looking for something you couldn't find out there. I chose you because you needed this place as much as it needed you." -- Jacob

9:47 -- "What is the job?" -- Jack

9:48 -- "I want you to have the one thing I was never given … a choice." -- Jacob

9:49 -- "I'll do it. This is why I'm here. This is what I am supposed to do." -- Jack

9:54 -- "I thought that guy had a God complex before." -- Sawyer

9:55 -- Jacob is performing the wine ceremony, for lack of a better term, but this time with some water in the stream. Kinda liked it better when I thought there was magic wine.

9:56 -- "Now you're like me." -- Jacob

9:57 -- "After I set you free, I'm going to ask each of you to do something and you're going to have to promise me you'll do it." -- Desmond.

9:58 -- "Dude, you didn't tell me Ana Lucia was gonna be here." -- Hurley. Unfortunately, I spotted Michelle Rodriguez's name in the credits, so I knew she was going to be here.

9:59 -- "If you can turn yourself into smoke whenever you want, why do you bother walking?" -- Ben. Best. Question. Ever.

10:01 -- "Because I'm gonna find Desmond and he's gonna help me do the one thing I could never do myself. I'm gonna destroy the island." -- Not Locke

There was no way in the world the series finale of "Lost" wasn't going to be the most anticipated episode of television of my life. I'd been saying all season long that I don't feel like I can even begin to rank "Lost" among my favorite shows of all-time until the series ends -- how it ends will determine how I remember all six seasons … right or wrong.

But now I feel that way more than ever. The last two weeks -- and the more I think about it this entire season (especially the flash-sideways universe) -- has been leading up to this finale. I can't imagine that any show in history has had more riding on an episode.

Would you have it any other way?

"Lost" has been indefinable from the beginning. It has broken every mold and transformed what is capable on television. Before "Lost," did you ever believe a television show could send you to the Internet scouring for clues? Did you ever think you'd spend an entire next day talking about a television show with friends?

Did you ever imagine that a television show would actually make you afraid of missing it? I can't miss "Lost" tonight or else I can't talk to anyone tomorrow and I pretty much have to avoid the Internet in its entirety!

Other television is like high school -- you can show up to class, half-ass the homework, not study for a second and still probably get a B on the final.

"Lost" is college -- you have to take copious notes in class, do all the reading, and join a study group (*ahem Lost Diary) or risk failing.

I give tonight's episode a B-. The episode before a season finale is supposed to get me excited for the finale. That is tripled when it's a series finale and trillioned (made up word) when it's the series finale of "Lost." I only give this a B- because while I am still super excited for Sunday, this episode didn't ratchet that up a notch, but it didn't take it down a level either. This episode simply held down the fort.

Moriah

I was expecting more from last nights episode, but I have a feeling they're going to pack it all in that 2.5 hours.

$$

still say Hurley will take over as the smoke monster...

jon

Notice the look on Sawyer's face after Jack drank the water that Jacob gave him.

I'm making the call...'Not Locke' dies, and then Sawyer takes over as the evil twin.

susan

Why did they mention that Richard buried Alex? Why bring it up now? And does being buried on the island vs. being burned effect your "afterlife" somehow?

lee

"Did you ever imagine that a television show would actually make you afraid of missing it?"

Old fogeys like me would talk incessantly about Seinfeld on Fridays, repeating jokes to each other so, there have been shows like that. This is more like a graphic novel in a TV medium-read Sandman and dig thru old Wizard 'zines to get more dirt on how the story will progress.

I love how Lost shows how everyone is good *and* evil, except Smokey who is just pure evil. I'm sure this is not going to turn out how I think..

susan

Did the smoke Monster kill Richard? If he was able to kill him why wait until that moment to do it?

Anon1984

I brought this up a while ago in passing, forgot about it, then started thinking about it again last night. In doing so I remembered a lot I had forgotten. Does anyone see the parallel between the hatch and the island?? In season two, they had to find a replacement to push the button in the hatch, just like they now need a replacement to guard the island. They had to push the button every 108 minutes, and the sum of all of the candidates is 108 (plus the lighthouse dial was at 108). Last night I got the feeling that Desmond was a free agent completely from Jacob and MIB's game - seemingly the only Lostie who is. It was also Desmond who wanted to be done with the button game in the hatch. ALSO - wasn't it Desmond who crashed the plane?? Remember, he forgot to push the button when it crashed. I've been saying I think everything is going to be more Locke centric than we think, but now I'm thinking that Desmond is going to be pivotal. When they failed to push the button in the hatch, Desmond sacrificed himself to it with the key around his neck. Only Desmond didn't die, and actually acquired time traveling abilities. We never did find out exactly what happened either. The sky went white, but we don't know why. I think Desmond knows that just like nobody needed to sacrifice themselves to the hatch, nobody will need to for the island either. This show isn't going to end with anyone replacing Jacob, I'm calling it. I also started wondering this - Desmond has always been able to fly across timelines right? When he first met Jack at the stadium and told him he'd meet him in another lifetime - did he Know even Then? I really have my fingers crossed for this tying in somehow because I think the whole MIB and Jacob thing is a little lame - not a lot lame, but a little considering how much they have to play with over the seasons. I would like all threads to tie in nicely. I'm also still counting on Jacob being somehow deceptive.

Read something interesting last week in regards to the Smoke Monster (in my studies, lol). Look up Egyptian Jinns anyone who's interested. Think about Jin and Sun's names, and wonder if that was an Easter egg planted early. I don't think the characters have anything to do with the Smoke Monster, but it could possibly have been a clue. Hopefully this is the case and the writers really have known where they were going the whole time.

Fior

Ok - I must be dense (maybe it's from trying to keep track of all the happenings in this show) but I didn't hear Jacob's explanation as to why they were there and why the light is so important. The only thing I heard was "why" he picked them - flawed like him (because he killed his brother?) - anyone else seeing Cain/Abel here???

jojo

So, what do we need to know? I want to know what Sayid and Kate have to do at the concert. We know that Jack and his some and Mom will be there. Probably Claire too. Maybe it's at the school where Locke and Ben work. Maybe Jack's son is one of their students. Why is Hurley in cahoots with Desmond? Why can't Jacob kill Not Locke? How is Not Locke going to destroy the island AND get off the island at the same time?

sally

I seriously don't know what I'm going to do on Tuesday night anymore.

rhode

Why is your LOST Diary never on the top of TMZ's page? Oh well only one to go.

Question, why have the names crossed off on the wall if Kate can decide she WANTS to be a canidate? Ben has wanted that job for years.

Violette-Blue

I LOVED this episode. Great performances by all the actors. We got answers. I am really hoping Richard was not killed by Smokey. I thought Richard couldn't die. He was touched by both MIB & Jacob. He has to be superhuman, no? Loved wicked Ben returning! Loved seeing Rousseau again. She looks great off island. Thank the Lord Widmore & Zoe are no more! Finally!!!! I love Desmond. Hot hot hot!!!

Tom

Anybody else think that Jack's neck bleeding is a little foreshadowing that he will die in the finale?

Professor Obvious

So, when does all the work we've put into Aaron pay off? How does Aaron figure into all this? I'm guessing Aaron will appear in the final episode and play some role in saving mankind. Pretty sure Walt will appear too, considering the massive amount of time that went into developing his character.

bellerina27

Not-Locke is NOT the smoke monster. They are PARTNERS...... When Jacob pushed MIB in the light, Smokey was released......

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments