Bandleader Pissed Over 'American Idol' Snub

5/27/2010 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0527_ricky_miner_EX_Getty_01TMZ has learned ... one of the key players who made "American ldol" a success was so pissed last night after the show, he chewed out "A.I." producers backstage.

Rickey Minor -- who has been the bandleader for 6 seasons  -- is leaving A.I. to head up Jay Leno's band on "The Tonight Show."

Minor was fit to be tied after no one thanked him or wished him well -- hell, they didn't even acknowledge him during last night's finale.

Our "A.I." spies tell us ... when the show was over Minor went off on producers, angrily telling them how insulted he was by their silent dis.

Minor refused to go backstage for the champagne afterparty.  But producers pleaded with him and then got Randy Jackson to try and smooth it over with an unprepared speech.

Minor then said a few words but we're told, "You could cut the bitterness with a knife."

We're told Minor recanted and went to the afterparty -- but he was still fuming mad.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Elizabeth

If the info is good-it was his last night after 6 seasons-hell forget that....he should have been mentioned reguardless. The band leader is the one who holds the whole thing together-musically. I thought AI is supposed to be a musical show. Shame on AI.
FYI-I consider myself a musician (if only for myself) and come from a long line of musicians

Funky Chicken

On most nights, Ricky and the band was the best part of Idol - they are so good. Contestants who are also (real) musicians or artists understand and appreciate how important the band is, which is why you see them thanking/acknowledging the band after their performances, e.g. Casey, Crystal, Lee, etc.

I'm gonna miss Ricky more than Simon!

Chris Daniel

I see all these comments berating the "band leader". The article did say he was furious about getting no acknowledgment. Just to give some understanding the contestants are nothing but glorified karaoke singers without the backing bands. These bands play music for crappy "talent" day in and day out. they deserve some credit. Please give credit where credit is due. He had a reason to be pissed.

Liana

Everyone who watches the show should know who Rickey Minor is. Who do you think they're thanking each week when Ryan says, "Thanks to Rickey Minor and the band"?

He deserved to be acknowledged.

mjlvr

Shame on Idol for not acknowledging Ricky Minor, one of the best musicians in the biz. I agree with Elizabeth, as the band leader/musical director, he was the one that held everything together musically and he deserved some type of acknowledgment this week.

C

Ricky Minor has been around for EONS and is one of the most respected bandleaders in the world. Some really show their ignorance with their comments. It's not about Ricky Minor per se but acknowledging an integral part of the show who will no longer be there.

LHorton

I wondered also why Rickey and the band weren't mentioned at all at the finale. I don't blame him for being angry. He has been an integral part of AI and should have gotten some recognition for that. I really look foward to seeing how he and Jay work together. I will miss Kevin and his band, but i'm happy for Rickey and wish him all the best!

heythere

The really successful people exercise humility.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7