Pete Best of the Beatles

'Memba Him?

7/12/2010 2:42 PM PDT BY Johnny Lopez

Before Ringo Starr joined the Fab Four in 1962, Pete Best was the original drummer in the Beatles. Guess what he looks like now!

0712_memba_launch

Blue

I don't know all the details about Best, but if you compare him to McCartney now, it pretty obvious, money can't buy you love..or happiness. Best looks amazing and happy!

good grief

To those of you who seem to think he would have been the "hot" Beatle, compare this to a current photo of SIR Paul.
Ok, I'll take the guess work out for you:

Dorinha

While it's obvious that "Y do he got" is typing complete gibberish, let it be known that The Beatles never recorded for CBS records. Try Parlophone, EMI/Capital, and Apple records. Enough troll feeding for one day.

Dorinha

I don't think the issue is over who would have been considered the "hottest" Beatle had Pete stayed in the band, but who was generating the most female fan interest at the time (sorry for the wordy sentence). Pete had a legitimate fan base of his own. He had the whole "James Dean" look working for him, and I suspect this generated some jealousy. Most supporters of this theory point fingers squarely at Paul for being the ringleader in Pete's ousting. Still, George Harrison seemed pretty honest in his assessment years later that Pete simply didn't fit in with the other three Beatles, and that they each preferred Ringo as their permanent drummer (I won't rehash my comments about Pete's drumming ability, as I already spoke about it at length). Sometimes the simplest explanation is best. I very much admire Paul, and I'm only interested in The Beatles for their artistry.

T. G.

Yes, I've heard how rock steady Ringo is, but I beg to disagree. Just listen to "Ain't She Sweet" recorded in Hamburg and you'll hear how rock steady Pete Best is. However, I do agree that Ringo was the right drummer for the Beatles because of his ability to adapt and change. Becoming a versatile drummer who invented unique fills and so on. And also, his personality. But, as a drummer, it just seems to me that Ringo followed the Beatles instead of leading. Which may have been the way they wanted it, since they liked slowing or speeding up ever so slightly. Especially in the earlier songs. For example, "Thank You Girl". Or, as in "Twist and Shout."
So overall, I believe Pete Best had some admirable abilities while Ringo had both the knack and personality. Always giving the Beatles what they wanted.

spam

J P and G preferred Ringo. end of story

banterknave

Actually, it was Brian Epstein that told Pete Best the news, not George Martin. George Martin was the man who initially stated the concern of Pete's contribution to the band - He simply didn't have the outgoing personality of the other three - Paul, George and John. And it was those three that asked for Ringo join instead, if that was the case. They felt bad about ditching Pete, but their contract would have been cut up if they didn't.

Elle

Pete may have been a good drummer, but I think Ringo was a better Beatle when it came to personality.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2