« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NY Yankees Legend George Steinbrenner Dies

7/13/2010 10:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has confirmed legendary New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner died this morning after suffering a "massive" heart attack.

0713_steinbrenner_EXD_Getty_01

According to multiple reports, Steinbrenner -- who turned 80-years old on July 4th -- was rushed to St. Joseph's hospital in Tampa where he was later pronounced dead.

Steinbrenner -- a U.S. Navy veteran -- retired from running the Yankees in 2006 ... leaving his sons Hank and Hal to run the team.

Since Steinbrenner took over the team in 1973, the Yankees locked up 11 pennants and 7 World Series titles.

Among Steinbrenner's many accomplishments -- his famous "grooming policy" ... in which players and coaches are not allowed to sport hair past their collar ... and the only acceptable facial hair is a mustache.

UPDATE: A rep for the Steinbrenner family has released a statement saying, "It is with profound sadness that the family of George M. Steinbrenner III announces his passing. He passed away this morning in Tampa, Fla., at age 80."

The rep adds, "Funeral arrangements will be private. There will be an additional public service with details to be announced at a later date."

0713_george_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Criss

Boston's probably loving this.

TheRealJerseyShore

Bruce is the real "Boss" and had the nickname before Steinbrenner. From everything I have ever seen, Steinbrenner was in the Air Force not the Navy

namers

Steinbrenner is a true American, born on the Fourth of July; a Moonchild in all it's glory: Billionaire entreprenuer, family man, LEADER, tenacious, unsung philanthopist and fierce competitor. Hard outer shell and a soft inner core. Watch out for our claws!

25. Bill: good one!

28 in '10 for sure!

Let's go Yankees, clap clap, clap clap clap.

joselizette06njphilly

this is SHOCK i know he 79 years old i want him around another SEVERAL SEVERAL YEARS NO WAY OMG I GO READ MORE AND ALL DAY IN ESPN WHAT A legend NO ONE LIKE HIM STRAIGHT FACE,GREAT OWNER AND NO HOLD BARRED legendddddddddddddddddddddd noooo i am sad today damn from jose and lizette philly nj ny tri-state omg.this is so so so sad.

RIP my god.

snowcat

Although I live in Boston and I will always believe "Yankees Suck!" I send my heartfelt sympathy to The Yankees and their fans.
The Boston-New York rivalry is fun and Mr Steinbrenner definately fueled the fire with his ability to consistently put together winning teams.

RIP Mr Steinbrenner
Condolences from this member of Red Sox nation

snowcat

Although I live in Boston,and I will always believe "Yankees Suck!" I send my heartfelt sympathy to The Yankees and their fans.
The Boston-New York rivalry is fun and Mr Steinbrenner definately fueled the fire during his reign with the ability of consistently put together winning teams.

Condolences from this citizen of Red Sox nation-
RIP Mr Steinbrenner

YankeeGirl

Rico Sauvy (you can't even spell that right) may that Camel invade your Mother's, Wife's and sisters' rooms plus make a pitstop at your ***!

Love him or hate him he was a good human being who loved to help charities out and not get the recognition he deserved.

Godspeed Mr. Steinbrenner!

eastwood816

George played and coached college football.

A lot of people don't know that George Steinbrenner coached college football alongside iconic Ohio State football coach Woody Hayes and was actually part of a staff that won a national championship.

Google George Steinbrenner and Woody Hayes and you'll find some articles about it. A buddy just pointed it out to me this morning.

electriczipper

are they going to freeze his brain so in a couple of light years they can bring him back

Criss

I guess God needed an overbearing rich douchebag

mrspatrickcampbell

Did he die from being old and ugly?

Jerry Castillo

Steinbrenner joined the United States Air Force after graduation, was commissioned a second lieutenant and was posted to Lockbourne Air Force Base in Columbus, Ohio. Following honorable discharge in 1954, he did post-graduate study at The Ohio State University (1954–55), earning his master's degree in physical education. He served as a graduate assistant to legendary Buckeye football coach Woody Hayes. The Buckeyes were undefeated national champions that year, and won the Rose Bowl.

Paul Priore

Re: New York Yankees Owner George “Turkey Neck” Steinbrenner Dying:

"Ding-Dong! The Evil Bastard is Dead!"

Don’t expect me to shed any tears for that evil man, who went out of his way to hurt everyone. Steinbrenner is no saint and shouldn’t be treated as such.

He made everyone’s life miserable, and I’m one of the few who's glad that he's finally dead! I sure as hell won’t be missing him!

Steinbrenner should rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. One thing about me is that I'm no hypocrite and will always tell it like it is -- no matter what anyone thinks or says.

I, personally, knew this mean-spirited bastard for years! Believe me, I knew good and well what he was truly like!

Now, you’ll see all those phony hypocrites coming out of the woodwork, saying, "Oh, he was such a nice guy!" But, when I hear that, I'm going to be saying, "Bull****!"

It will be interesting to see the spectacle of a parade up the Canyon of Heroes. Next, I suppose the phony eulogies will be in abundance, along with people making him out to be some kind of martyr!

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Paul Priore

(Ex-New York Yankees Clubhouse Attendant)

J Simp

RIP Boss

Anonymous

Please RIP George M. Steinbrenner III. Go Yankees.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments