Drug, Sex, Homophobia Allegations on 'House' Set

7/20/2010 6:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cocaine ... guns ... sex ... and knife play -- all part of life behind the scenes on the show "House M.D." ... this according to a new lawsuit filed by a bitter ex-employee.

0720_house_doc_launch_EX_2

In a lawsuit, filed in L.A. County Superior Court, a former assistant prop master named Carl Jones claims he was fired from the show in March ... because he didn't go along with the "degenerate conduct" of his superiors.

In the suit, Jones claims he was harassed by two of his supervisors for refusing to engage in "visits to strip bars, participation in getting drunk, stoned or intoxicated on cocaine, to participate in sexual conduct at the trailer, and other dangerous conduct."

Jones claims the supervisors would often refer to him -- and other employees -- as "fags, pussies, bitches, slaves, dummies, retards and idiots."

Jones also claims one of his supervisors brought a gun to the set "several times" ... but it gets even crazier.

In the docs, Jones claims he watched his supervisors get drunk on tequila and engage in "throwing a knife at a target on set."

Jones claims he tried to report the alleged misconduct to one of the co-executive producers on the show -- but his cries for help were ignored ... and claims he was ultimately "blackballed" from future work on the show.

Jones claims he's become severely depressed and somehow suffered a physical injury as a result of the alleged incidents.

He's suing for more than $1,000,000 in damages.   Universal -- which produces 'House M.D.' -- had no comment.

UPDATE: A rep for NBC Universal tells TMZ, "The lawsuit is without merit."

The rep adds, "It is NBCU's long-standing policy to provide a working environment free from discrimination or harassment of any kind. We also strictly prohibit retaliation or reprisal against anyone who reports or opposes discrimination or harassment."

me

I think I like this show even more now :)

propmaster= *****

ibjujub

#15, it is illegal to do drugs and carry weapons on a set. You can't protect your sups. by puting the blame on this guy. Everyone in the business knows what goes on on that set...YOU ARE A LAUGHING STOCK, YOU'RE JUST THE LAST TO KNOW ABOUT IT. The big rumour going down now is that the DEA is doing an investigation on your situation...no amount of "crying" is gonna stop the DEA from breathing down your neck. Q: Didn't you guys go across state lines with drugs and guns while doing on-location shoots?? That's a BIG MAJOR NO-NO!!! That's the rumour going down right now. You'd better run and hide!

dd

Why didn't he go to his union ?

balo

I think it's pretty funny the comments saying "suck it up" etc. about Carl. The guy was on the show for over 4 years "sucking it up" and got fired illegally by a bunch of drunks. He has every reason for recourse and if you read the court do***ent, he did try and resolve it "in house". This was his last course of action.

Esjey

On the one hand, it's inappropriate for employers to treat their employees this way, no matter what line of work they are in. I would be totally pissed if homophobic slurs were being slung around at my place of business. Of course, I'd probably be way more angry about someone bringing guns to work and throwing knives around.

On the other hand, a million dollars? Seriously? If you're offended or bothered by what's going on, quit. Find another job. If you want to sue because you felt you wrongfully lost your job, then sue for your former salary (or a portion of it) for a couple months until you can line up something else. Having a sucky job with sucky management does not make you deserve a million bucks.

Matthew

Hmmm, this sounds like the type of “role models” that these actors have which condone their behavior and gives them some sense of entitlement. And I find it very humorous that the people who say Britney, Paris, Lindsey, Mel, Tiger, and Charlie are out of control and need to go to rehab are the same losers that claim this would be some great job and that he should enjoy being there and quit whining. It sounds like we have some Hippocrates in our midst. I am glad to hear that someone is speaking their mind and standing up for what is right and legal. I hope he soaks these producers dry. Hopefully further investigation will go into these producers and they might spend some time behind bars learning the proper conduct of a civilized society.

**My apologies in advance to those lacking the vernacular to grasp the concept described above. (Briefly translated to redneck: sorry if you don’t get it, very bad, needs a time out)

Barbara

Until now, "House" has been one of my favorite shows. I ask, what has happened to the moral fiber of this country? When someone cannot go to work without the threat of knives being thrown around, without the threat of being verbally harassed, and with the threat of being physiscally and emotionally abused,
we are in a state of serious moral corruption. Work is supposed to be a sanctuary, not a sin city. I hope "House" stays on the air, with its message of hope and healing. But for goodness sake, I also hope this guy gets every bit of that $1,000,000.00!
Maybe those producers will wake up to their depravity!

me

um, to everyone saying this is typical behavior on a film set? no. no, it's really not. i've worked in this industry for years, and I, too, was employed by House at one point. i can't vouch for all of Mr. Jones' claims, but i can vouch for the mistreatment and overworking of the crew, the constant verbal abuse, the tequila binges, and the sex in trailers, and that is certainly NOT typical of every show i have ever worked on.

NoName

As asked before, where is his union? Hollyweird is primarily a socialist state. Why doesn't his union step up?

Tufr

This guy sounds like a real girlie man.

If you can't throw knives at work where can you throw knives? And who doesn't make fun of guys who play for the other team? But if the guy didn't want to go to a strip bar - they shouldn't have tried to force him. It sounds like the sight of a naked babe would damage his psyche - as opposed to say.... the sight of a naked boy which he comes off sounding like he would have preferred.

You know this guy wasn't working on a show about a 7th day Adventist. The main character brings prostitutes to work and is hooked on prescription drugs. Another character is a bi-sexual lesbian who picks up woman and sleeps with the black doctor on staff. What exactly did girlie boy expect?

Robert

He sounds like a *****, too.

Dean

Re: a million dollars. The problem with being "blackballed" is that this town is much smaller than you think. Everybody knows each other, especially other property masters, so it's not just Universal he'd be blackballed from. Anyway, as someone who makes over $130,000 a year in nearly his exact position, over the course of a few years, $1 million doesn't sound so excessive. It actually seems low!

Right, This never happens

This isn't bs. I do not know this particular person but do have a friend who had the same kind of experience there. In my one unfortunate occasion of meeting the prop master "bosses" at a wrap party, I was spoken to as if I were a prostitute by the Prop-Master, to the embarrassment of my date which made me absolutely LIVID. We left immediately. It was explained to me that my date had to stay quiet or lose his job. Eventually they got rid of him - after two attempts, and some super shady bull****. They go through props guys like crazy - preferring drunken slobs who just hang out in the trailer, to anyone who actually works or answers to the CAST. And then they do their best to black ball these poor guys. This poor sucker - i hope he wins the case, because he probably is already black-balled, and after this he won't be hired anywhere in hollywood. But the jackasses in props at HOUSE will just keep going on.

Lexxvs

Hope they have to pay until the last penny of it. Not only that, that everyone who was bullied come up and make their part.

stage worker

I worked on House during season 1 and part of 2. It was the same as any other set. I know the prop master and he is a little crazy but a pretty cool guy. Some people fit in on the sets others dont. Carl wont win a dime.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments