Bob Marley's Son -- Dreads the Comparisons

7/21/2010 9:15 AM PDT BY Johnny Lopez

Music icon Bob Marley's youngest son Damian Marley is definitely the hair to his dad's fortune.

0910_media_removed_Lindsay_Lohan2

The 32-year-old showed off his long, luxurious dreadlocks in London on Tuesday.

Irie, mon.

Shandroid

@Rrita: I watched: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsfYAJ3dQyY
and no offense, but that cleared things up about as much as a mud wash. I'm sorry, but although Bob was probably a good guy (hopefully not a misogynist), his pound a week "herb" usage really showed by 1979. You would have to be flat idiot to think that just because "ganja" is a plant, it doesn't have the potential to be bad for you, and brain cell decimating. For instance, the poppy is a plant and produces opium, but that does not mean it is not bad for you if not used properly for medicinal purposes. Rastas dont smoke weed to ease cancer symptoms or glaucoma, they do it to get high, period. There is no "truth" in weed, and for them to believe that is quite naive.

@Miss, I know that it is not required, and most Rastas want to do it. I don't have a problem with that. Others on here were bringing up other religions and their forcing people to wear certain clothes and look a certain way no matter how they may feel about it, that I think is wrong.

hate the hair!!

yuck!!!

Tres

“Okay are Americans on this board really telling a West Indian abou hygiene? Okay you all bathe or shower every other day and sometimes go days with out baths and you want to talk to people about their dreads?”

FUNNY AND TRUE…LOL!

Muppet

Why can't people have differing opinions on a subject without resorting to name calling and mudslinging? To each their own.

Tres

“Cut it off and go get a job, ya worthless hack.”

UM…HE IS DAMIAN MARLEY. HIS FATHER IS BOB MARLEY. HE HAS A JOB SWEETIE. HE’S A MUSICIAN. WHAT ABOUT YOU? IT MIGHT HELP TO READ THE ARTICLE NEXT TIME INSTEAD OF MAKING ASSUMPTIONS.

Tres

“@Rrita: I am not a loser for believing that drugs, even the holy herb are a dead end, and against the law here in the US. I respect our laws and honestly, I think that Rastafari loses its credibility as a religion when they use it, BUT that is my opinion, and I am pretty opinionated to the consternation of many.”

NOT ALL RASTAS SMOKE WEED. YOU’D BE SURPRISED AT HOW MANY DON’T. IT’S A MISCONCEPTION REALLY. IT DEPENDS ON WHAT TRIBE THEY BELONG TO. ALSO, DO CATHOLICS LOSE CREDIBILITY WHEN SO MANY OF THEIR PRIESTS ARE PEDOPHILES?

Shandroid

@Tres: Stop shouting, k? (typing in caps) That's great that there are many Rastas that don't smoke weed (all the better for them and their health). Ha ha comparing pedophile priests to Rastas smoking weed...that's so dumb. Ganja is an integral part of the Rasta religion (even if it is not required), but pedophilia in priests is an obvious crime (even if the bishops may not do anything about it) NOT in any way part of the religion OR the parishioners. Like I said before, I have a problem with Catholicism including the fact that priests must be male. I have a major problem with misogyny and unfairness to women everywhere.

I really wouldn't have a single problem if ppl wanted to follow Rastafari, even if it borrows heavily from Judaism and Christianity with few original and intelligent tenets. I just don't believe that a drug should be part of a religion primarily for the sakes of the children.

Nicole

he may wanna cut them before they get stepped on

what a bunch of idiots

@shandroid nobody is forced..just like every other household children are raised in a certain faith and whether they choose to continue on with it when they have all the facts is up to them
and although it's not appropriate to smoke weed around children, quite frankly smoking cigarettes around children is equally dangerous to their health...so until that too is banned ore eliminated then we can deal with the minority who use marijuana
and please stop calling it a cult, you continue to misuse this word...unless you have been well versed in the study of all religions and are able to judge it without bias then you have no basis to make that statement...it is your opinion, stop stating it as a fact

Rrita

@Shandroid, I find it hard to believe you've studied psychology or that you are any type of scholar, because you are so narrow minded. You can have your opinions, but you started off by judging this picture of Damian Marley, and his dreads. The length of his dreads and even his beard signifies his wisdom, and in general how he has grown as a man. I doubt you've ever listened to his music, ergo do not understand his message.

I don't find it so odd that they worship Haile Selassie I, a speech he made before the United Nations General Assembly can give you an insight to his wisdom. Turned into song by both Bob Marley and the Wailers, and later, Damian, "War" is powerful.

Oh, and Sinead O'Connor also altered the words a little so it concentrated on child-molestation rather than racial conflict, and tore up a photo of the Pope at the end:

I hope you can learn to be open enough to learn from every one.

Rrita

Oh and she then got booed at a Bob Dylan tribute concert for doing that, its so sad but empowering towards the end:

Joe_LL

All of you are ignorant, dreads are not full of "Dirt/Mold/Bacteria/Smegma" Dreads are what you make of them, if you wash them everyday they will be the same as "Normal" hair. And of course they will be horrible if you don't wash them, it's the same as most things that arn't washed. So before you go and judge a dreaded person maybe research dread locks before you say anything.

Rrita

more specifically Damian's dreads smell nice, I happen to know that.

Natassaja

i LOVE THiS, DAMiAN YOUR ROCKiN THE DEW! MAD PROPS MY BRAH & MUCH HEARTS!

Empress

If you dont have anything positive to say dont say anything at all .. And all of that is his real hair..too bad people of color have always been criticized by oppressors on hair and or skin color... We coming and get used to it..