Robert Schimmel Dies

9/4/2010 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Robert Schimmel died last night in a Phoenix hospital from injuries he sustained in a car accident last week. He was 60 years old.

0904_robert_schimmel_BN_getty
As TMZ first reported, Schimmel was the passenger in a serious car accident after his daughter, who was driving at the time, swerved to avoid an accident. She's still in the hospital, but we're told she'll be ok.

Schimmel is perhaps best known for his work on "The Howard Stern Show."

bryan

what really sucks is that this guy beat cancer a while back too

JoshA

One of the first comedians to make me laugh so hard I almost pee'd myself. I've always wanted to see him live, but I kept putting it off.

RIP Robert, you made me and my friends laugh so much.

jerri

At least TMZ posted a picture. I thought I heard of him before but it helps to put a pic with the report. Hope the family will be there for each other and don't make the daughter feel worst than she probably already does.

magnolia

RIP mofo, you were one funny guy.

ev

Got out of bed an hour ago and saw on the tv that Robert had passed away, but they didn't say how, so I thought that the cancer came back. When I found out it was a car wreck, all I could think of was him saying how f***** up that would be to survive cancer and die in a car your kid was driving. Somehow, he would see the perversity of it. My heart goes out to his family, and don't worry too much about his kid handling it; she had the best example of handling it ever. Peace to all his kin, and Robert, keep em' laughing there and say hi to Derek for me.

Zollo

One of my favorite comics of all time. His piece on trying to get his wife to have a threesome was one of the funnies tjokes I have ever heard. Amazing comedian, awesome. I also loved listening to him on the Stern show. He seemed like a great guy who had to overcome challenging cir***stance after challenging cir***stance. Rest In Peace. Enjoy heaven.

sharlafromnj

I saw Bob at his last show at the Stress Factory in New Brunswick, NJ on April 23, 2010. He didn't look well at all, but kept us laughing. It's so ironic that this happened with all his medical problems. Prayers for the family. All the children have to know that their father loved them. Peace be with you Bob.

Onalee

WHO?

emerald

OMG! I feel for his family, not only have they lost him but his daughter who was driving is going to need some serious counselling to reassure her it's not her fault her father is dead! For him to have come through cancer and then die this way is shocking, at least now he's at peace and no doubt telling his jokes in a far better place. Hope his family find some measure of peace and comfort after losing him in such a tragic way.

addie

This makes me so sad! Robert was hysterical! Why do all the good people have to go and we're left with all the s*** bags? Thank you Robert for all the laughs and for your excellent work with charities.

James

I just have to say these are some of the most idiotic comments i have ever seen in my life. But again this is TMZ so what should I expect. Here we have article about Robert Schimmel passing away, and this mope is talking about not putting Sirius in his car because he doesn't drive enough. Pathetic. Hey douche no body cares about you or your boring life. Just pay your respects and go screw.

Dave

Funniest mothereffer I ever saw and I mean it...a true talent, twisted and true he never let up...Godspeed Bob

Janny

Wow I just realised my post I made last night was removed,censored.I hope that would make Robert proud.
He was right up there with Lenny Bruce,George Carlin and Richard Pryor and when I think about it he was funnier than all of them.
He was in every sense of the word a gentleman who loved his fans as much as they loved him.His family was his life, his kids meant the world to him.I hope in his next journey that he gets the breaks that always seemed to elude him in this life.
To his father,brother and sister,all his children and his first wife Vicki my thought and prayers are with you.Stay strong, Aliyah needs you.
To his second wife Melissa,I'm sorry he didn't get the chance to divorce your sorry ass.
Godspeed,you were loved.

Karen M

Dad, whats an erection?
Thats how they vote for President in China.

Great from the start. Hope he and Dangerfield are laughing it up, up there! Thanks for all the laughs over the last twenty years.....

shellybelly

gosh, so sad...exactly why I will not let my kids drive me around... God bless them both...so very sorry.