« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Reggie Bush -- I'm Forfeiting My Heisman Trophy

9/14/2010 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Reggie Bush is gonna have a lot of free space on his mantle -- because the disgraced former USC running back says he's decided to "forfeit" his 2005 Heisman Trophy.

Regiie Bush Heisman Trophy

Bush just released a statement through the New Orleans Saints in which he explains, "Each individual carries the legacy of the award and each one is entrusted with its good name ... It is for these reasons that I have made the difficult decision to forfeit my title as Heisman winner of 2005."

Bush added, "The persistent media speculation regarding allegations dating back to my years at USC has been both painful and distracting.  In no way should the storm around these allegations reflect in any way on the dignity of this award, nor on any other institutions or individuals.  Nor should it distract from outstanding performances and hard-earned achievements either in the past, present or future."

Just a few days ago, Reggie clamped up when we asked him about the Heisman controversy in New York.
0914_bush_tmz_video
FYI -- Bush is the first player to ever return the award.

Reggie's decision comes in the wake of a report that the Heisman committee was going to strip him of the title in the near future.

UPDATE: Bush is already addressing the issue on his Twitter page -- saying, "Now that this is behind me I look forward to the future and winning more awards and championships here in New Orleans! Who Dat!"

Story developing ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Le Singe

i doubt reggie is the only heisman winner to ever have received perks. My thoughts on the matter are here http://monkeybusiness1.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/a-heisman-in-the-hand-is-worth-how-many-in-the-bush/

Edwin Hurst

That man is rich. Giving back the trophy is not going to mean anything to him. The bottom line was on the votes was a landslide. And i'm not even a USC or Reggie Bush fan. If I was in second place I would not accept the trophy.

Martin

Why do alot of big time athlete have to cheat to win? I took PRIDE in how hard i worked to win without cheating.

Napoleon

Too bad. He should have stayed with Kim, she was a good luck charm, now look at him. lol

Eric Anderson

Worse than taking the trophy away from Reggie is giving the Heisman to another in replacement of the error in awarding Reggie initially!

Winning in the midst of the fall of others! Analogeous phrase,

"If the varsity track hurdelers in the first heat fail to jump over hurdle and fall to the ground the second heat has a chance to win first place in the event!"

What are the coach's view on this Heisman tragedy!?

After winning the Heisman trophy, the best bet is to honor oyur school and donate the trophy to the gym trophy room! Get a clue!

Chris

Reggie's hometown knows the truth about all this. Check out what they had to say here: http://www.lamesatoday.com/profiles/blogs/to-reggie-bush-la-mesas
The NCAA and college presidents should hang their heads in shame!

Racheal

Saw the story about how Reggie swindled and did, the help who also set his mom's and step dad up in a nice home. Use to like Reggie till I seen that story. Don't matter what kinda background dude had who helped him "HOW" do you live with yourself doing people like that?? Surprised he even remembered his mom's after his big day. I'm sure his family gets no kind of attention, LIKE O.J.Simpson and how he did his family. They had to wait in line like everyone else for tickets.

acena

What is he supposed to be a big man now? Just another cheater and soon to be attention whore.Try the rehab stunt for more attention.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6