Laura Dern to Ben Harper: Why So Heartless?

10/12/2010 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A process server went to Laura Dern's home on Saturday with divorce papers and demanded that she come to the door ... or else -- sources tell TMZ.

1011_laura_dern_ben_harper_EX_TMZ
We're told the couple's nanny came to the door and told the process server she would accept the divorce papers Ben Harper filed late Friday afternoon ... but sources say the process server fired back that if Laura didn't come to the door he'd find her out in public and embarrass her.

A source connected with Ben claims the allegation that the process server issued such an ultimatum is "absolutely false."

The divorce -- a story TMZ broke Sunday -- shocked Laura, who didn't see it coming.

We're told Ben has not called Laura to discuss how to tell their two children about the sudden turn of events ... he just disappeared.

And, as we reported, although Ben claims he and Laura have been separated since January, the couple showed up together at Eddie Vedder's wedding late last month.  And, sources connected with the couple tell us Laura and Ben have been intimate as recently as last week.

0709_split_footer

Cartman

That's just a dern shame.

kali

Ben who?

James

I want to know more!!! This story is so bizarre, not that these two together ever made sense, but to be a **** to your children's mother is just puzzling.

TMZ, find Ben! I am sure he is locked up with some whore somewhere!

Anon E Mouse

Process servers are dirt bags and should all be shot on sight.
I live in a very affluent and nice neighborhood and last year my neighbor's wife filed for divorce from her husband and the two dirtball process servers could not find him, so they proceeded to post yellow flyers on every door and window all over the house.
There must have been over 30 on the house.

My next neighborhood will be gated or with no neighbors so I don't have to see crap like that and have low class s***bags like that parading around my neighborhood.

Rob

No marriage I know where a white woman married a black guy works out well in the end....Tiger Woods?

Kim Mulder

I met Ben and talked to him for quite awhile and he was down to Earth and told me he missed his family SO much .
I think SHE cheated and he had had enough .
He just did not seem as if he would do that sort of thing ..
He is on the road A Lot and that is hard on ANY union , but if cheating is an issue here , it should be expected that Ben would just have had enough crap and just said " Later days .... " .
It is hard for any artist to love his/her spouse MORE than their profession ..
It is an obsession and it is to be understood and accepted and the spouse should just know that going INTO tha relationship .
She is a fool to cheat and jeopardize all that she has ... if THAT is the case ,... she should have to lose Ben and know that she has lost fans as well ,
I hope THE KIDS will be OK ...
Just a shame all around .

Kelly

Even though their business really isn't any of my business, I'd still bet my money that someone is having a little something on the side!!

Bill

Ben Harper has made a little dough, but will be a spec in music history shortly. He is a limited talent, very, very lucky guy who has just about milked what he has.

If I were Dern, I would send him packing with a foot up his ass on the way out of the door

Truth

LIKE IT SAID, EITHER HE CHEATED OR TURNED GAY. NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED IN MOVIELAND. ASK TERRY MCMILLAN. JUST SAYIN.

Sienna

She's too old for him, kinda sad but Ben Harper has 19yo girls that want him, why would he stay with a 50somthin.

scott

ben harper sucks....even the girls i know don't even really like his foo-foo songs! go see a real rock n roll show!!!
he's just another egotistical descent musician and i use that word optimistically

wcres

Anon E Mouse -- not all process servers are douchebags. maybe the guy who was ducking them was the real douchebag?

Machelle

Well because he's demonstrated that
he's a worthless good for nothing loser,
it should be easier for her to get over
him.
It sure wouldn't take me long-

plynde

he is a horrible person. everyone who know him knows he is a big phony. the way he is treating her is exactly what he did to wife #1. he pretends to be down to earth and it is so gross. he is a cheater and liar.

stumpy