Cathy Moriarty Investigated in Hit-and-Run Crash

11/6/2010 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cathy Moriarty -- who once received an Academy Award nomination for her role in "Raging Bull" -- is at the center of a hit-and-run investigation after she allegedly smashed into a Volvo in NY.

1105_cathy_car_EX2

According to a police report obtained by TMZ, a witness claims she saw Cathy driving a silver Chrysler on I-495 last month ... when she rear-ended the Volvo (right), and then left the scene.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... officers tracked down Moriarty and went to her home -- where they saw that her silver Chrysler (left) had front damage that synced up with the accident ... but Cathy denied any involvement in the crash.

Calls to Moriarty's manager have not been returned.

TXluvsMJ2

She was probably drunk. Wasn't she known for having a drinking problem at one time. I wonder if that's why she can't remember? Or is her memory selective?

MIDNIGHT TOKER

I say she is innocent

nastynorm

PROBLEY TO FUP TO REMEMBER.BLACKOUTS,I HAD A FEW WHEN I USED TO DRINK.

Mah

The story could not possibly be true with the details as stated. There are no stop signs on Federal Interstate roads.

Beanie

I agree with Mah.....I-495 is the Long Island Expressway...runs east and west....I've driven it too many times to count from Eastern LI to the Grand Central and not one stop sign. Unless she was entering or exiting from a side street, there would be no stop signs or lights. Non that I recall.

Kat

There are no stop signs on Interstates.

Tabitha

Stop sign or not this lady should have stop to make sure everything was o.k.

Shread

She has a killer Pizza place in Beverly Hills called "Mulberry Street Pizza".
Great hang too!

MAXny

Cathy, if you ever read this post, I hope you are well.
We still are here (Main St & Conklin Ave in Farmingdale NY)
Good luck with everything & I hope your family is doing well.
Max

Glenn F

This is stupid,
If any one knows Kathy they know that she helps all her friends and neighbors. Any one could have bin driving this van. this woman has one of the biggest hearts . And take my word for it, she is sober!!

Amanda

At the store I used to work at in Suffolk County, Cathy used to come in, she was always sober and always really down to earth and totally amazing. And there are definitely no stop signs on the 495, unless they meant to say on an entrance or exit ramp, that part makes no sense

Quaneesha LaTwonda-Da'Williams

Ok, how stupid can TMZ be?! Does anyone read this sh*t before they post it? A *STOP SIGN* on the Long Island Expressway? That's like saying a driver failed to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk on the 405. All I know is, her Mulberry Street Pizza in Beverly Hills is one of the best pizza places in LA. I'm not sure if she has much involvement with it anymore, but I think her boyfriend(?) - the, um - sun-worshipper who can't seem to find the buttons on his shirt - still works at the one on Canon. I prefer the Beverly Drive one. Anyway, who knows - maybe for once TMZ is right - but it's hard for me to take a story seriously when they say she allegedly ran a stop sign on the L.I.E. Guess the "Thirty Mile Zone" doesn't extend east of Downtown LA??? Seriously ladies - if you're gonna accuse someone of a DUI, check yo facts please.

Diane

First of all, I know Cathy, and she would never hit someone, and leave the scene. She is a wonderful, loving, caring lady who would lend a helping hand to anyone, and I have seen her do that. She's has a heart of gold. By the way, I agree with the other people who commented. A stop sign on I-495? They are the ones who are not with it!!! Good luck Cathy. You are always in my thoughts. Give our love to Joe and the kids...