Billy Ray

FURIOUS after DJ Asks

About Divorce

11/12/2010 2:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Ray Cyrus stormed out of an unaired radio interview this week after the DJ tried to ask Billy about his divorce ... and TMZ has obtained audio from the emotionally charged exchange.

Billy Ray Cyrus Divorce:
It all went down on Tuesday during an interview for the "Woody & The Wake-Up Call" show on WCOL in Nashville -- when Billy scolded the host Woody Johnson for even trying to ask about his marriage.

As he made a beeline for the exit, Billy can be heard lashing out at Woody -- saying he was, "very rude" ... and that he "should be disgusted."

The full interview is set to air on Monday -- but we gotta ask...

k

why is he trying so hard to look like keith urban? there is no way he's ever gonna even be close to keith in looks or musical talent.

Tony

Billy billy billy you should be disgusted at your daughter acting like a slut since 16 yrs old wait i'm wrong your daughter makes more in a yr yo did your whole career that makes it ok right? LOSER!!

Robert

Let's set the record straight...Woody has known Billy Ray for 20+ years. BRC handlers DID NOT make any mention of the divorce being off limits. For those 2 reasons, Woody felt comfortable enough to ask. Billy Ray was in Nashville for the CMA Awards and he should have realized that radio station hosts would ask about it. WCOL is not a Nashville station, it's based out of Columbus, Ohio and Woody was there interviewing plenty of country music stars before and after BRC. For those who thought that Woody should have never asked a personal question of BRC, I would ask you, "What would you have wanted to learn about BRC?" Woody wasn't just doing it for the ratings, he's already one of the top rated morning shows in Columbus. He was doing it because that what his listeners want to know about. What do you think Oprah would have asked him?

Carvey

When did Billy Ray turn in to such a girl? First he starts wearing a weave and now he gets all emotional because a DJ asks about his divorce. Better go find yourself a new pair, Billy Ray, 'cause you're clearly missing yours.

lori

First, Woody's show is based here in Columbus, Ohio. Now I realize that BRC is a public figure, but Woody should have asked himself a question first. That question is "How would I feel if Im finally in a good mood, after something so hurtful has happened in the last couple of weeks, if someone were to being that up" I bet Woody you wouldnt be. Now as for your show, I wont be listening anymore. Friday was my last day, no more birthday bust, etc. You tried to justify doing something hurtful to someone and I dont care for that.

lori

That should have been bring that up.

the_ha

who f'in cares ?

Sam

In the midst of a scandal like this why wouldn't they ask? OH and Woody is on WCOL out of Columbus Ohio he was in Nashville for the interview but he works in Ohio

Pookie

Please someone put Miley out her misery so we don't have to be grossed out by her ugliness and disgusting "grunge" garb any longer! What's even more disgusting is looking at her 10 year old sister dressing the same way & even more whore-ish.

BTW, stupid TMZ, the radio station WCOL is NOT a Nashville station. It's out of Columbus, Ohio. Get your **** together.

pokiedokie

You don't like people asking about your divorce Billy? Then you shouldn't have become a celebrity, dumb ass! Now your daughter is in the business....way to go big daddy! Her privacy for the rest of her life is gone too. You want to get paid the big bucks, then you must suffer the consequences. That was your decision!

gary

WCOL is in Columbus Ohio. They were in Nashville for the music awards.

Stacy Harris

I'd like more information: Was the interview predicated on any deal such as one Woody might have made with Billy Ray's publicist?

In most cases it's not a good idea to ask a question you would not want asked of you, but it's positively reprehensible to violate an agreement made in advance of an interview.

As a celebrity interviewer, I have passed on most interviews where conditions have been attached.

In any event, one would think Cyrus' media-training would have kicked on this one.

Years ago, when Tammy Wynette and George Jones were in the midst of one of their many breakups followed by reconciliation (until they eventually did D-I-V-O-R-C-E), I did an impromptu interview with Wynette backstage at the Grand Ole Opry.

Jones was with her that night but, after posing for pictures with her and speaking with me, George disappeared when Tammy and I spoke.

I think something may have been in the newspapers earlier that day about another separation or reconciliation. (Remember that the couple referenced their marital turmoil in many of their songs). In any event, I began one of my questions by indicating "I don't mean to pry-." I got no further before Wynette interrupted, smiling "Oh, but you are."

That's the way to handle these types of situations!

Of course, if I feel a controversial line of questioning is legitimate, given a "elephant in the room," I will generally say something like "You're aware that there's a lot of speculation about (whatever). I certainly will respect your feelings if you'd prefer not to discuss it, but I want to also offer you a platform to get your side of the story out."

What happens next is the celeb's call, but when the invitation is accepted it's a win-win situation: Because I have a reputation as someone who is not only trusted, but respected (precisely because I can be trusted), I get not only an exclusive, but the full story so that there is nothing left for anyone else to ask about- to the interviewee's relief!

Stacy Harris
Publisher/Executive Editor/Media Critic
Stacy's Music Row Report

Alisha

OMG! DIVORCE? o.O shocked.

BBB3

I ALSO WONDER WHY HE WAS BEING INTERVIEWED. HE HASN'T DONE MUCH FOR SOME TIME. I DO HOWEVER,WANT TO SAY HE HANDLED IT WELL.

Carl

Maybe the DJ should have asked about his awesome parenting skills instead.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments