'Ugly Betty' Actor: I 'Killed the Demon Inside' My Mom

11/26/2010 11:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Brea -- the small-time actor who once appeared on "Ugly Betty" -- has an explanation for (allegedly) killing his mother with a sword: "I didn't kill her. I killed the demon inside her."

1123-mike-break-bn-facebook-03

In a frightening interview with the NY Daily News, from the prison ward at Bellevue Hospital, Brea explained how God came to him in his sleep and told him it was to be his last day on Earth.

He recalls how he left his apartment because a man was trying to put a curse on him, and while riding the train to Brooklyn, he explains, "I felt like Neo from 'The Matrix.' I began hearing voices and feeling powerful ... They were asking about the difference between mom and mother. It was a sign."

By the time Michael returned home he knew he was going to kill his mother.  When she asked him to pour water from a pot in which she was cooking chicken, Michael attacked her with a sword, believing a demon had taken hold of her soul.

Michael says, "I was slashing my mom and I heard the police knocking on the door yelling, 'Michael, open up, Michael, open up,' but I knew they wouldn't open the door and stop me because the spirits were protecting me ... I just kept cutting her. No one could stop me. I was doing the work of God."

Brea has been charged with 2nd degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

azlee

. He will live with this the rest of his life. I pray for compassion for this man, not judgment. He will be judging himself far more harshly than any of us can.

Posted at 11:49 AM on Nov 26, 2010 by irish35

__________

yeah, I think he will. I hate this disease and I hate that it robs these people's lives. they most the time are brilliant. It is sad all the way around.

As a family member you watch to make sure, but you want to love them because no one else will love them. If you are in a delusional time then it is no time to have any knives or the such either. Of course they don't realize it then either.

Your Momma

For those of you that say that he is not insane, you need to go back to 5th grade because you have no sense. This guy is deeply disturbed and insane. I do not know why they are charging him with anything at this time without doing a full pyschiatric review on this guy. No one in their right mind is going to all of a sudden start hearing voices and kill their own mother if they are not insane. He has no criminal background and he has never done anything like this before. Come on, all of you are idiots. He needs to be in a mental institution and get some help rather than facing murder charges. He better get him a good attorney before he is railroaded.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

you want to see crazy,,just come to my house at about 5:30 on a friday evening after payday..now thats crazy

Linda

He must have mental problems and should not be with other people in jail. Put in a mental hospital were he belongs.

Um, wow...

This is a terrible situation... It's obvious he needs help... Unfortunately, he won't get the level of care he needs. It's obvious this is something mental, and not of him just clearly wanting to kill his mom. IDK if he was ON something that made him psychotic, or if he really is "clinically insane"... Plus, if he gets off on an insanity plea, that'll be it... He'll never receive the help he needs, or people to over see his meds, etc. It's a sad situation for people with mental health issues. I know they're real, but I also know that there are a lot of people who TRY to act like they are--just to get a plea bargain, or shortened sentence... Horrible situation, all the way around.

han

If this man was Muslim you'd hear it all over the news something like "MUSLIM EXTREMIST MURDERS MOTHER BRINGS ISLAMIC SHARIA LAW BLAH BLAH BLAH"

princess alla baba

2nd degree charge? WTF!

Katie

Some of these comments are so ignorant and disrespectful it's beyond words. Schizophrenia is an awful illness to deal with, the social stigma and isolation makes it even worse.
Only a small percentage of people with schizophrenia commit crimes like these. Working in a Forensic Psychiatric Hospital (media would never be allowed to contact one of our patients btw) I can tell you this man will be dealing with a life sentence of his own. A sad and awful story for everyone involved. Shame on everyone who makes fun or is disrespectful about people with a psychiatric disorder. I sincerly hope it never affects you or anyone around you.

lou

How sad. Rip to his mother. What a terrible, terrible tragedy.

azlee

here in arizona if a person that is mentally ill is found guilty (and even before that) they will be housed in the state mental facility that is secluded from the rest of the the patients. There they get treatment. It has the razor wire and all that, a max security area that is on the same grounds.

KingHooter

the battle between God and Satan is very real. This is just another point to that fact.

KicksandGiggles

Wow... total whack job. Please neuter/spade him while in prison so we don't have to worry about any more from this nut case.

Poor lady - no one deserves such horror.

Um, wow...

I HAVE to comment to those who keep saying "He needs to die the same way", "f-him", etc... B/c mental illness is REAL. Just because YOU can't make sense of it (which most people can't), then you assume he's just PRETENDING to be "insane"... And, I'm NOT disputing the fact that he COULD very well be, but they will be able to tell at Bellevue if he's for real, or not. It's incredibly hard for us, as humans, to understand anything we've not come into contact with before. This is why so many psychiatric patients end up in jail, and not on medications that could very well help them. It's sad. I do feel bad for his mom, though... And, I hope if they DO find that he's NOT "clinically insane", that he goes down... Sad.

Valstann

i smell the insanity plea.

Zip

2nd degree murder? Really? He pre-planned the killing, and makes this a 1st degree charge. This guy is a devil worshipper. The god that he is talking about is satan. He even used a Freemason sword, and used the term "architect of the universe"...the Freemason term for God, or at least, their god, which is the opposite of our god, that being the devil. Also, the Knights Templar believe in beheading upon death. The Knights Templar are an off-shoot of the Freemasons and the Scottish Rights. These folks are all satanists who worship a demon. Also, they worship the gods of Egypt who are considered to be the fallen angels.

The question here, is simple. Where did he get that Freemason ceremonial sword from, and how does he know their rituals? This was a blood sacrifice. Again, when he said that god told him to do this, he wasn't talking about our God, but, rather, he was talking about, their god--lower case "g", that being the devil.