'Lovergirl' Singer Teena Marie Dead at 54

12/27/2010 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Grammy nominated singer Teena Marie -- once known as Rick James' protégée -- died in her sleep last night at her home in Pasadena at the age of 54 ... TMZ has confirmed with Teena's rep Lynn Jeter.

Teena Marie Dead

Relatives found Teena's body Sunday morning at her home. Relatives tell TMZ Teena seemed fine yesterday, when she spent Christmas with her brother. Teena spoke at length yesterday with Lynn, who tells TMZ Teena seemed "fine."

So far it's unclear what caused the singer's death -- but the Pasadena Police Department tells TMZ they do not suspect foul play. They say it looks like Teena died of natural causes. The L.A. County Coroner's Office will perform an autopsy.

We're told Teena had a seizure a month ago, but it's unclear what triggered it.

Marie was nominated for a Grammy four times ... her first top ten hit was "I'm Just a Sucker for Your Love."

Story developing...

Chocbuni65

RIP...Lady "T", you will be remembered and missed
((((Walking out singing "Aladdins Lamp"...Love you Teena Marie.

Moni

RIP Teena Marie you will be missed...Damn TMZ could you have selected a more flattering photo...like a promo photo...the woman passed away.

umhum

I agree. TMZ can you guys put up a better picture of her. She was a nice looking lady.

Mike

"So far it's unclear what caused the singer's death."
From the photo, I'd say a few too many hamburgers.

Chuck

Aw man, she was awesome. RIP Teena.

Rain

Detroit pops their collar to Lady T. RIP

Shay

I grew up loving the music of Teena Marie. It's sad to hear that she has passed. There will never be another like her. Heart felt prayers go out to all her family and friends. You will be missed.

Lex

So Sadden to hear the passing of Lady T.Now her and Rick are jamming forever! Love you Teena Marie!!

eydie

she is a part of the sound of the 80's for me. i loved her song "lover girl." i'm so sorry for her family. she was only a year older than i am. slowly all the icons of my youth are going away.

Keith

WOW! i cannot believe she's gone WHAT HAPPENED?? I grew up with Lady Tee. I knew Rick James died at 56 so they both left this world too young although Rick abused his body. R.I.P Ms. Teena "The Ivory Queen of Soul"

flutterby

Teena my soul sister, I am going to miss you. Your music will stay alive. flutter-on! flutterbykesha Whittier, Ca.

sade4

Saw her for the first time last summer. She gave it her all. Very sad news.

Rudy

I met her about 10 years ago and she was a very nice person. This is really a shame, and may God bless her soul.

Kim

R.I.P. Lady T. You will be missed but never forgotten.

KYM

OMG!!!! I'm just in shock rite now i've been a loyal fan since age 13..I was waiting to see Lady T on New Years eve, here in Miami....She will truly be missed...
Love you Lady T.. your #1 fan