Chuck Berry Falls Ill During Concert

1/2/2011 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chuck Berry had to be escorted off stage during a concert in Chicago last night -- but rather than jumping in an ambulance, he jumped back on stage.

0102_chuck_berry_Getty_BN
Berry was playing a gig at the Concert Theater and, according to the Chicago Tribune, began showing signs something was wrong early on. The promoter of the event told the paper, "Obviously, something was off ... Fifteen minutes into the set it went from fine to something wasn't right. He was starting songs mid-song, playing 15 seconds of a song."

After several failed attempts at the guitar, Berry played keyboard -- then slumped over.

Berry (who is 84) was taken off stage but came back 15 minutes later and tried resuming the show ... but was taken off stage again. He returned one more time, assured fans he was OK (see video below), and did his signature duck walk before leaving for good.

Berry did not go to the hospital ... he took a limo home. That's how he rolls.

rmstale

Correction TMZ: It was at The Congress Theater, not The Concert Theater...I was standing about 2-3 people to the right of whoever shot that video.

cusanus

Chuck, I love you, man. You say your time is coming soon, so I just wish I could get a message to you, Jesus will take you to a better place if you can do your part. Believe me, Chuck, we're not talking about religion here. Just wish I could get your attention, but, hey, wait a minute, I'll ask someone else I know if He can get it. Keep on going, partner.

Amy

CONGRESS THEATER

gayle

Do these aging singers not know when to hang it up??? Seriously...the dude should be in a retirement home not on stage.

bbb

Jackie Wilson: "Nowadays, a lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man's music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis"

Judy Feldworth

I know Chuck and his family. He had performed two gigs the night before at BB King's in NYC and he was simply exhausted when he got to Chicago. He flew home Sunday morning from Chicago to St. Louis and slept most of the afternoon. He is fine now. He is in very good medical condition for his age. He does NOT have heart problems. The normal pace he keeps knocks out people half his age. Ask his family. They cannot always keep up with him. Period.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4