A.J. McLean in Rehab

1/13/2011 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

A.J. McLean from the Backstreet Boys has gone into rehab again ... TMZ has learned.

A.J. McLean Rehab

One source tells TMZ McLean has been "out of control" in the last few months because of substance abuse, and it was interfering with plans for the Backstreet Boys' upcoming tour with New Kids on the Block.

Sources say on a Backstreet Boys cruise last month ... A.J. appeared under the influence much of the time.

McLean has battled addiction for years. He was in rehab in both 2001 and 2002 for alcohol and cocaine abuse.

McLean made a cryptic reference on his Twitter account, writing on January 9, "I love u all and wish me luck! I start my sober journey tomm!"

On January 10, McLean tweeted,  "See u on the other side!"

Video shot during a BSB cruise for fans last month shows McLean with what looks like a beer -- amber liquid with foam on top.

011310_aj_mclean_video4

UPDATE: A.J. released a statement saying, "For personal reasons, I’ve checked myself into a rehab clinic. With 2011 being a busy year for Backstreet, I want to be healthy and perform & sing for people at my very best and happiest. None of this will affect our current tour plans and I look forward to seeing everyone really soon! Thank you for all of your support and respecting my family and friends privacy during this time."

alyssa

he is one scary mo fo

Christa_Marie

Hey guys- leave AJ alone..i was on the BSB cruise last month, and yes he was drinking. I actually hung out with AJ a few times on the boat and trust me drugs was NOT a factor, its the alcohol he has a problem with. Aj is the sweetest guy ive EVER met, and i wish him all the best this year!

Brittany

Oh TMZ- 1.) You're late. This is OLD NEWS. If you wanted this story, you could have gotten the information in the radio interview that he did with the Dope Doctor the day after the cruise docked in Fla. 2.) There is no need to refer to "amber liquid" or talk about "sources" discussing AJ's drinking on the cruise, or anytime during the past three years for that matter. Again, DO YOUR RESEARCH and check out the OPEN, HONEST interview he did, and he laid all of his personal demons out on the table.

You know what? KUDOS to him, because he is MAN ENOUGH to be honest, which is something most addicts can't do. And to all of you who haters, keep it comin-- this man is a better person than you'll ever be. AJ, congrats to you. You have thousands who love and support you, and who will be waiting on the other side. I am PROUD TO BE A SKULLEE! <3

SAP68

Being a long time fan for many years, I want to commend AJ on realizing his addiction still exists and that he needs professional help. Unfortunately being in the music business you are surrounded by temptations that are hard to resist. He has a wonderful support system that will help him thru this rough period in his life. Looking forward to seeing him and the rest of the group in June.

Sandra

Addiction requires on going rehab. I wish him success!!

stan

This guys a mess. Always has been always will be. He has never benn "SOBER". He is full of stuff and if he wants to get better he would listen to people AA. So expect him to die if he doesn't change.

Peyton

What I never understood is computer s@*t talkers!! If you're not a fan or if you're not here to wish him well why even bother to comment at all? I'm not saying you have to like BSB's music, I mean to each their own but damn, you haters sound so jealous, jealous of the career he has had, and still has...never in your wildest dreams will you have the success he has or the money he has...you will never travel the world and perform for sold out crowds, you will never break musical records or have one of the top selling albums of all time and TMZ will never cover a story on you! Damn how sad is your life if you gotta post negetive things about someone you don't know?!?
As for AJ, get well soon, all your fans are rooting for you!!

Christy

#16(the Eric) and #26(D Wayne)....now those were FUNNY comments! LMAO

Winner

The prob is people see this as a failure cos he's going back to rehab a 3rd time but he was sober for about 3 - 4 years.

Massive achievement!! Good luck to him on the next phase. AJ's isn't Lindsay Lohan because he wasn't forced into rehab by anyone other than himself so grow the hell up people. this is a person's life not just a celebrity. Maybe if people were nicer in the first place there wouldn't be so many people turning to the bottle.

Amanda

James-Really? Addiction is a disease and he is most likely going to rehab for alcohol. So many people drink alcohol--he was probably more prone to becoming an addict. Lay off.
And neck tattoos=trashy? That's your opinion. My opinion: tattoos=sexy.
I'dtapthat-Must feel good to call someone a "dum a$$" when you can't even spell DUMB or you're.

I agree Kay and Shannon. I have front row and he's the main reason I'm going to be honest...lol
Good luck AJ! Your fans are rooting for you and I am glad that you chose to seek help before you hit the road again where it would most likely get even more out of hand. We love you and good luck in your journey to stay sober again!

WW

This is an ongoing problem for AJ. It's not something that started over the past weeks or months. This has been going on since the last time he got out of rehab. He didn't just fall off the wagon recently. He fell off the wag on a long time ago, and he's never been back on it. I've seen it personally. I feel bad for the guy, and I hope one day he finds whatever it is he's been looking for all this time. Good luck, AJ. I hope it sticks this time, man.

Oh, and for the record, AJ has to wear a clip earring in that ear, because some douchebag fan ripped his earlobe in half a few years ago, and it never grew back together. He can't wear a normal earring in it anymore.

Baby Names

I like your blog,Totally interesting also extraordinary blog.Give more pictures related to this topic.Thanks for sharing this http://www.mumzone.com.au/baby-names.php

Steve

First off A.J. has helped and made people happy all over the world. He has never hated on anybody, so how are people hating on him that dont even know him. Good luck A.J. Im a fan of you and pray that you get better.

Lucy

A.j did the right thing in checking into rehab. I wish him the best.

Bela

Good luck AJ!! -Not a clip on earring. his ear is cut in half cuz a fan ripped an earring off his ear when she was trying to touch him.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments