Ricky Gervais and De Niro

'Golden' Controversies

1/17/2011 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro both talked their way into a firestorm at the "Golden Globes" last night ... after each attempted risky jokes that some consider downright offensive.

0117_gervais_gay_launchRobert De Niro Golden Globes
Gervais' dig came while commenting on the movie, "I Love You Phillip Morris" -- when he said, "Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay – which is the exact opposite of some famous Scientologists ... probably." Gervais added, "My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

A short time later, De Niro left jaws hanging while thanking the Hollywood Foreign Press for his lifetime achievement award ... saying, "I'm sorry more members of the foreign press aren't with us tonight, but many were deported right before the show along with most of the waiters. And Javier Bardem."

So we gotta ask ...

0117_globes_footer

Maureen

I rarely watch the awards shows, but did last night because Ricky Gervais was hosting. His jabs were not only funny but sadly true, & were what many of us less fortunate folks think, when we see celebrity photos plastered everywhere! Personally I think it was time someone called Hollywood out..thanks Ricky! BTW; some of those gowns worn last night could have fed a family of four, for months..and the celebrity salaries, are out of control, give me a break!

Bubbles The Chimp

It is good to see people bringing over-egoed celebs down to where they really are on the ladder of stupidity. Some celebs seem to believe they are gods and untouchable.

Good for Gervais.

anitab

I have heard much worse on the FOX news channel.
Both De Niro and Gervais were funny as hell, grow some balls America , stop being so " gake" uptight" about things.

Christine Hudspeth

Ricky Gervais was over the line, so was DeNiro, Giamati. It was a night of poor taste and poor manners. Sandra Bullock looked quite angry over Gervais' remark on her and poor people. There will be some schooling, or the chopping block for Ricky Gervais. Civility had better return as too many of us are tired of trash talk and hate.

CathyV

Neither were offensive - both were funny.

Too much political correctness today.

HarlotO'Hara

Don Alex: Did you just bash Rocky and Bullwinkle?? You BAD BOY! LOL...I loved it!!

DirtySouth

Ricky Gervais is just not funny. I don't mind rude, mean, offensive humor as long as it's funny. Being offensive is part of a comics job because they have the creativity to say things most people are afraid to say and have people see it from a humorous perspective. George Carlin, Bernie Mac, Redd Foxx, Joan Rivers, and a host of others are comics who are or were rude, offensive, mean, AND funny. I've tried watching him many times in interviews, performances, and on the "Office". It is painful because he's boring not because he's offensive.

De Niro's joke was actually more funny (and I'm a minority) mainly because it seemed to reference the current climate. It was more sarcastic.

Overall, these people in Hollywood take themselves too seriously. I mean, after they've already made millions of dollars for the same performances they're lauding, they're at an awards show with their peers giving themselves pats on the back. How much coddling do these people need?

stephanie

I thought he was hilarious-- the stars may not be able to laugh at themselves, but for the rest of us, who are constantly bombarded with thier excessively self congratulating world, the jokes made the show bearable. I'm neither overpaid nor awarded for doing my job, yet I can take a joke. So lighten up Hollywood!

Preserve the Tiger

P.S. Anyone who found humor in what was said last night in the name of 'humor' must also find the state of the world humorous! Hatred and racism fuel wars, and the hatred and racism spewed by Ricky & Robert was laughed at and tolerated!

R

#1, exactly, I too think something was said to him and it's too bad he way toned it down afterwards. But why didn't he pick on all the cosmetic work the celebs have had done? Even Buscemi has had stuff done to his face (fillers and chemical peels) and teeth (whitened) - if you don't notice these things when why are you on this site! Gervais should have come back after a commercial break and said "I'm gone 3 minutes and everyone looks five years younger!"

haha

Awards shows are just a lame excuse for celebrities to masturbate each other.

Echo

TMZ the results of your survey are worthless since you ignored a large number of watchers who had a third opinion.... those that found neither offensive.

Bruce Schreiman

TMZ - Who cares??
Don't stop the parade to pick up a dime. Generating self serving commentary from off-the-cuff remarks is an impediment to the flow of ideas we're trying to develop today.
Rise up; lean forward; get with the program.

omegabeta

Come on now, where's the button for neither!? Gervais was amazing, and Bobby D. was funny. (So was RDJ)

Arne Svendsen

you just have to be from USA to take any notice