Ricky Gervais and De Niro

'Golden' Controversies

1/17/2011 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro both talked their way into a firestorm at the "Golden Globes" last night ... after each attempted risky jokes that some consider downright offensive.

0117_gervais_gay_launchRobert De Niro Golden Globes
Gervais' dig came while commenting on the movie, "I Love You Phillip Morris" -- when he said, "Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay – which is the exact opposite of some famous Scientologists ... probably." Gervais added, "My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

A short time later, De Niro left jaws hanging while thanking the Hollywood Foreign Press for his lifetime achievement award ... saying, "I'm sorry more members of the foreign press aren't with us tonight, but many were deported right before the show along with most of the waiters. And Javier Bardem."

So we gotta ask ...

0117_globes_footer

jane

So let me get this straight---TMZ a business that earns it keep posting gossip about celebrities(the more offensive the better) is concerned that Gervais and DeNiro, made offensive jokes? and have written an article articulating this position to generate as many hits as possible to increase their advertising revenues.

I thought,"There is no such thing as bad publicity"?
Celebrities should not be worried about being the butts of bad jokes, but not being significant enough to have a joke made about them or have their gossip posted on TMZ.

THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS!

gNat

I am under the impression that this is what you get and expect with Gervais. If one is offended by a guy's regular schtick, then you don't hire him.

As for Deniro, I guess I had to be there to see what the big deal was. I think he is protesting the anti-immigrant rhetoric out there, like what is happening in Arizona. He sort of wanted to make a political statement against those who protest those who do not fit the traditional white male power structure. Deniro is primarily Spanish (i.e. Latino) and Irish stock heritage, isn't he? Maybe he's standing up for diversity, no es cierto?

Jon

Why don't you have a button for "Not Offensive"?

DeltaTango

Who cares? They're all a bunch of phonies anyway...

Victoria

Expose who are the members of the Foriegn Press. Its a big secret and everyone knows they are old men. Bribes? Dinners with Depp and Jolie? Of course. Stars must even do these old guys laundry.

GGs are fake tributes. DeNiro and Ricky were fantastic!

Faith

I loved Ricky Gervais. It was nice for a change to not have to sit through Sarah Palin/Pres. Bush (who have nothing to do with Hollywood.)

Dave

People used to beattracted to celebrities because they had charm, charisma,
and they made people around them feel good. Deniro is just another short,
angry man. Why don't they book people with talent?

debi

i loved gervais...i thought he did a wonderful job of hosting and calling it like he sees it! made the awards more interesting instead of the usual fawning over stars we usually see! i think if you polled the viewers you would find most appreciated the honesty.

anitab

I have heard much worse on the FOX news channel.
Both De Niro and Gervais were funny as hell, grow some balls America .

Buttercup

Why is it actors think they can do horrible things but can't get called out? Isn't the reason they put it on tv is for us to be entertained like reality tv anyway? If not don't put it on. Best show ever!!

Ed

Not offensive.

Just lame on the part of Gervais and spot-on with DeNiro

deke

Too bad it's so hard for us audience members to grow the @#$% up and understand that they're just jokes.

jessyserTX

Both of them were offensive, And i never found them a bit funny. We don't need British fame whores, we have more than enough of those in America.

Dutch

Dear Leanmachine,

I think you meant Philanderer, not Philanthropist.
And while I somewhat agree with the intent of your post, to illuminate some of the hypocrisy in Hollywood (although I believe you're off-target with a couple of people mentioned), I have to wonder why you post on TMZ at all then. This is essentially gossip on celebrities, many from Hollywood, and if your post reflects your real attitude then you shouldn't even be bothering with such a site...

Unless of course you're a Troll.

debi

i loved gervais- i thought he made the show watchable for a change. rather than all the fawning that usually takes place it's nice to see someone actually call people on their ****! i don't think deniro was trying to be funny...that's just him. i worked for him many years ago and the guy...is certifiable.