Nicole and Keith: Why We Chose USA for Our Baby

1/18/2011 2:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban could have hired a surrogate in Australia -- and it probably would have been easier for them -- but they chose the US of A because they're just not as big here.

0118_keith_nicole_EX
Sources directly connected with the birth of Faith tell TMZ ... Nicole and Keith were frank about their choice -- that in Australia they live in a fishbowl and they can't do anything on the down low.

The couple told people connected with the birth that the U.S. is so "entertainment oriented," they're just two of many celebs and aren't scrutinized the way they are in Australia ... making it a lot easier to have the baby without anyone noticing.

And it worked.  Before TMZ broke the story, we called some of Nicole's reps, who were totally unaware she had hired a surrogate who had given birth.

Aussie

They live in New South Wales in Australia where surrogacy is being made illegal with $110 000 fine. I would say they chose America because alternate forms of breeding are legal.

Dolores

Sounds like a lot of Scientologist commenting on this article!!!!! I'm sure she wants to have her own biological children so they cannot be taken away from her by some cult!!!!

January

Um, it's also illegal in most states in Australia (including Nicole's home state, NSW) to pay for a surrogate to carry a child - this means that there is almost no surrogacy here because it is almost impossible to find someone who will do it for altruistic reasons, not cash.

Michael Kuliesa

Tell them not to bring the new baby into Sydney NSW as the law is about to state it is Illegal what they done aNd they will be arrested good on the NSW Govenment.

Moi

I was pleasantly surprised last year when I had my third daughter at the age of 45. I thought I was in menopause and took 2 pregnancy tests. They were both negative, so I thought I was entering the change. I wasn't on birth control for over 7 years. I was completely shocked! I had my other 2 daughter at the age of 35 and 38.

phyllis

You posted a few photos of Octomom that were phony on your television show. They were photo shopped. Couldn't you see here head was much bigger than the body?

Angie

She probably chose to have the child in America because Australian laws are way behind the times. It is really difficult to adopt children in Australia with only about 30 children available per year. Mothers in Australia are encouraged to keep their babies even if they are only 16 years old.

Also, the NSW Government will be bringing in a law to make surrogacy illegal. So many Australian couples seek ways of having a child through overseas countries.

Nicole probably used a surrogate because she can't carry the child. I have made 7 embryos in the past but none of them took. So I would love a surrogate mother. But now that option is being closed in Australia.

go on

Congrats to Urbans'~~~
It is a good news,nicole is 43,and her body is not fit to carry baby,she has miscarrage for two times,sunday is a miracle baby!
Anyway,I love the couple!!They are so nice !!

Nicole is great to keep her secret!!Everyone body needs study~~

Other people who blame nicole,they are just jealous nicole !But nicole won't care your thought,because your stupid words just like bull****!

Theresa

So what,other celebs use surrogate and no one comments on that?Problably on of the reasons they used an American is that Australia has laws regarding using a surrogate for hire.

phoebe

Please check your facts, Surrogacy isn't legal in Australia.

nicole go on

Congrats to Urbans'~~~
Anyway,I love the couple!!They are so nice !!

Nicole is great to keep her secret!!Everyone body needs study~~

m

this couple is warm, friendly, and kind.. leave them alone.. it's nice to see a hollywood couple in happy and in love...

wondering

I didn't realise they were so big in Australia?

J

Love that Donna is an idiot!!!

Geri

1) she adopted 2 with Tom.
2) now these two used a surrogate
3) Tom was waaaaaayyy too happy about Katie having Suri
4) Katie had a cold sore on her lip at one time

what are the signs of herpes?

I'm just sayin'