Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Dan

This could get CBS nervous if Jeff P goes for the job.

justsaying

Yeah. It's time. He's forgetting everything except his name.

Tony

What are we supposed to do without you Regis?

who-Dey

I agree with #4 - I watched the show randomly yesterday and just fell so sorry for him. Thank goodness Kelly's quick on her feet. I'm not slamming him, but he's just getting up there and he's just not current with anyone, nor can he remember them, like you said - he can wax on poetically about Don Rickles, Dean Martin, and the such, but he's got no clue what's going today. Not that there's any thing wrong with that - it's just not the format of the show. :) Besides, he's worked his arse off. He deserves to kick back and relax.

Alie

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PJ

To: FlBiker -- You need help and I pray that you get it.
Rege, you are the best and will be missed by many.
God Bless you in your retirement.

moveover

Regis, please do us all a favor and take Kelly with you. She's annoying!

Karen Mickley

His health problems have taken a toll on his memory. If it wasn't for Kelly he would be in big trouble some days. I'am glad he knows when to stop. We love you Reg, good luck to you.

james corcoran

Its about time... He's long past his usefulness... Give Kelly Pat Sajack and you will have a great program...

wasted days and wasted nights

Yeah, ouch, there does come a time when one has to bail. But Reg is certainly doing it with class. A true class act.

nancy locurcio

I guess kellys bringing down ratings thats why hes leaving

shoshana

nice

Mike

big deal youre 10 yrs too late..
is this big news???

a fan

regis you are class. You make me laugh every day. i look forward to you each day to see what you will say that is hysterical. I love you,Joy and all the fun you have made for us all. You are a tough act to follow and I will miss everything you have givin to the show. From the bottom of my heart God Bless you and I love you so very much. signed an old fan

terry

Thank god! It's about time! Can't stand Regis!! Now to just get rid of Kelly.....just cancel the show and all will be right with the world.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments