Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

mark

Will Jeff Gordon be the next regis

Kathy

Yes it's time for Regis to sign off. He's had a great run. I think Kelly and her husband Mark would be a great replacement.

Ronnie

I am not a Regis ... watcher... and i hope this doesn't mean he will be filling up the tv set... with his duimb commercials. R.

dave

I agree with comment #9 please take kelly off the air with you,
I love regis, but when she came on, I have not watched since,
I tried, but she is very annoying to me too, she thinks she is super mom. I just cant bare to watch her.
her voice is like a spike in the head.

G.VOSCH

IT WAS NICE HAVEING YOU AROUND AND YOU WILL BE MISSED REG, NO ONE CAN EVER FILL YOUR SHOES.. YOU AND KELLY WHERE TOPS IN MY BOOKS.. GODS SPEED MY FRIEND.. AND MAY YOU HAAVE A GREAT LIFE ANDENJOY YOUR RE-TIREMENT..

Scott

It's about time, he should have retired 28 years ago... If anyone had an annoying affect, it was Regis! Why wait until Summer? Give someone else the mic now!

Jenny

We love YOU Regis, please take her with you when you leave.

vonda

i hate to see him go, my mama loves him.. god bless him.

Jana

I've always thought Kathy Lee was annoying. Then they replaced her with Kelly who is twice as annoying. I've watched the show only a handful of times and can't help but wonder if the producers actually pay the audience to laugh!

juju

Although it would never happen, I would love to see Anderson Cooper replace Regis. It's fun to watch him with Kelly when he co-hosts.
If not Anderson, then maybe Mark.

Good luck in retirement Regis!! We'll miss you.

geowhiz

Only about 5 years overdue.

Rudy

Regis has done well with the Show.Great work ethic.. I have seen younger people forget more when on Camera.. I think he has done well and showed that age is not the Barrier everyone makes it to be.. Certainly his health is a consideration. Best of Luck Regis.. I am sure he still will be seen somewhere but on a less demanding schedule.

Slash

Regis & Barbara are the same person

BRENDA

Just breaks my heart, i have watched the show forever will continue to watch but just won't be the same!!! please keep in touch with them maybe make a guest apperance from time to time, love you regis from a fan in a small hick town (chickamauga, ga)and kelly i enjoy your craziness!!!! me and my husband just have laughed at things you've said and done.

Mike

He's had a wonderful career and I wish him and his lovely wife all the best.