MJ's 'Moonwalker' -- U.S. Movie Debut Imminent

1/20/2011 8:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

"Moonwalker" -- a collection of short films made by MJ in 1988 -- was never released theatrically in the United States ... but one L.A. movie theater is finally trying to make it happen ... for one night only.

0119_moonwalker_EX

TMZ has learned ArcLight Cinemas in Hollywood is on the hunt for a film print of the 1988 cult classic ... after MJ fans flooded the A.C. Facebook page with the challenging request.

According to reports, "Moonwalker" was never theatrically released in America because of failed negotiations with U.S. movie distributors back in the day ... however the flick was eventually released in The States on VHS.

FYI -- "Moonwalker" featured a super-iconic 25-minute featurette for "Smooth Criminal" ... which included an awesome cameo by Joe Pesci.

ArcLight claims they're actively searching for the print -- we'll let you know if the search succeeds.

Master Po

Jesus Juice

POParitaville

Cameo by Joe Pesci? He was the villain in the movie. VH1 used to air it a lot.

Hugh Jass

can TMZ go one day without one story about music by a dead guy?

why would any MJunkie want to pay to see this crapola when they likely already have it on VHS (videocassette)?

less music by dead guys!
Give Conrad Murray a Medal and The Nobel Peace [& Quiet] Prize!

Rob

I had this on tape when I was a kid. I would watch it ALL DAY LONG

DANA

cool that he put the gay flag

themaestrosgirl

In Europe you can get it on DVD. But I would love to see it in a theater! I'll be sorry to miss it.

janicebyrne

I have this on DVD and I love it. I'd like Ghost to be re-released. It was excellent.

nan

tmz definitely follows facebook...lol

mj fan forever

I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO SEE IT IN THEATRE, ALSO!!!!! LOVE YOU MICHAEL WITH ALL MY HEART AND MISS YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!

Smarti

Moonwalker is brilliant. As for the hateful comments, the same people say the same thing over and over and over. It is old, it is tired and it is all wrong. No matter what is reported, they say the same thing. Your community should be moderated.

martin smith

why only america this should be released worldwide in every cinema possible

renae

I used to watch this ALL THE TIME when I was little. I would come home from school and absorb this multiple times in a row. Looking back at it now though it really made no sense at all. I tried to describe it to someone and I really couldn't.

Mike James

It's on amazon.com for $20, and its DVD.

Butterfly

why only america this should be released worldwide in every cinema possible

Posted at 4:05 AM on Jan 20, 2011 by martin smith

I have it on VHS and DVD i would watch it in my cinema it must be great on a big screen,oh and if you on the run please release Ghost too !

LOVE AND MISS MJJ